There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 12:36 AM by Tonpa )

Dark Mane by a guest in the north, her other stories show the PCM.   Grin
By Carmen_katsapas

*This image is copyright of its original author
11 users Like Tonpa's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
Shocked  ( This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 05:45 AM by afortich )

(08-27-2022, 12:28 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Dark Mane by a guest in the north, her other stories show the PCM.   Grin
By Carmen_katsapas

Hopefully, DM does not bump into the PC boys
5 users Like afortich's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(08-27-2022, 12:28 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Dark Mane by a guest in the north, her other stories show the PCM.   Grin
By Carmen_katsapas

Hope he don't meet to the Plains Camp males. Otherwise, he won't have a good time. It’s incredible how age has catch up to DM. His recent injuries and limps made him lost a lot of mane and condition as well, reminds me a lot to Brutus in his old days
6 users Like Timbavati's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

By Carmen_katsapas

The recent injuries he got from probably other lions has took him back to the place he was a few months ago before the back and forth with Audi S8. lol.
5 users Like sik94's post

WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 05:23 AM by WildLeonis )

(08-27-2022, 01:01 AM)afortich Wrote:
By Carmen_katsapas

Hopefully, DM does not bump into PC boys

According to the Londolozi blog, him and the Talamatis nearly running into the PC Males was a very close call. Good he got away as well as the Talamatis as the PC Males are not known to be welcoming to unknown females. DM really has done a great job at walking the line. Luck has been a big factor in him continuing on as well. I don’t know how long he’ll be able to keep this up before his luck runs out, but I hope it’s for a while to come. 

(08-27-2022, 01:46 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
By Carmen_katsapas
Hope he don't meet to the Plains Camp males. Otherwise, he won't have a good time. It’s incredible how age has catch up to DM. His recent injuries and limps made him lost a lot of mane and condition as well, reminds me a lot to Brutus in his old days

James Hendry often commented that he believed DM was older than Blondie and Mohawk due to his size and dark mane when the Avocas first arrived in Djuma. If true, I don’t know how much of an age gap there is in lion years, if any, when lions are born a few weeks or a month or two apart. That said, DM’s condition and age seemed to decline within 3-6 months. This time last year he was still very impressive, had a beautiful big mane, body in great condition, despite the limp, was still scent marking and roaring. But by the time November/December rolled around he was starting to show some decline. It’s been up and down for him ever since, but more down than up it seems. I do wonder sometimes if he has an unknown illness because even when he manages to stay well fed he can’t seem to gain back the body mass he had late last year. I also wonder how he’d be fairing if he was still in a coalition with his northern brothers? Perhaps significantly better than he is fairing now.
5 users Like WildLeonis's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-27-2022, 05:22 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: James Hendry often commented that he believed DM was older than Blondie and Mohawk due to his size and dark mane when the Avocas first arrived in Djuma. If true, I don’t know how much of an age gap there is in lion years, if any, when lions are born a few weeks or a month or two apart. That said, DM’s condition and age seemed to decline within 3-6 months. This time last year he was still very impressive, had a beautiful big mane, body in great condition, despite the limp, was still scent marking and roaring. But by the time November/December rolled around he was starting to show some decline. It’s been up and down for him ever since, but more down than up it seems. I do wonder sometimes if he has an unknown illness because even when he manages to stay well fed he can’t seem to gain back the body mass he had late last year. I also wonder how he’d be fairing if he was still in a coalition with his northern brothers? Perhaps significantly better than he is fairing now.

Just like in humans, animals also dont age the same, some peak earlier then others. 

DM is over 9 yrs old, 9-10 yrs is average lifespan of wild male lion.

Also, semi-nomadic life took its tool,  since he lost his territory last year, and went on roam thru Sabi Sands his condition start to deterioate.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 05:36 AM by afortich )

(08-27-2022, 05:22 AM)WildLeonis Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 01:01 AM)afortich Wrote:
By Carmen_katsapas

Hopefully, DM does not bump into PC boys

According to the Londolozi blog, him and the Talamatis nearly running into the PC Males was a very close call. Good he got away as well as the Talamatis as the PC Males are not known to be welcoming to unknown females. DM really has done a great job at walking the line. Luck has been a big factor in him continuing on as well. I don’t know how long he’ll be able to keep this up before his luck runs out, but I hope it’s for a while to come. 

(08-27-2022, 01:46 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
By Carmen_katsapas

James Hendry often commented that he believed DM was older than Blondie and Mohawk due to his size and dark mane when the Avocas first arrived in Djuma. If true, I don’t know how much of an age gap there is in lion years, if any, when lions are born a few weeks or a month or two apart. That said, DM’s condition and age seemed to decline within 3-6 months. This time last year he was still very impressive, had a beautiful big mane, body in great condition, despite the limp, was still scent marking and roaring. But by the time November/December rolled around he was starting to show some decline. It’s been up and down for him ever since, but more down than up it seems. I do wonder sometimes if he has an unknown illness because even when he manages to stay well fed he can’t seem to gain back the body mass he had late last year. I also wonder how he’d be fairing if he was still in a coalition with his northern brothers? Perhaps significantly better than he is fairing now.

I believe that his problems, for the most part, is lacking a coalition partner. 
I agree with you in that if DM got a partner, he probably be in a better position overall.
Hopefully his good luck continues, as you said, and maybe his oldest talamati boy start to give him a hand/paw.
6 users Like afortich's post

Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2022, 07:08 AM by sik94 )

(08-27-2022, 05:30 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-27-2022, 05:22 AM)WildLeonis Wrote: James Hendry often commented that he believed DM was older than Blondie and Mohawk due to his size and dark mane when the Avocas first arrived in Djuma. If true, I don’t know how much of an age gap there is in lion years, if any, when lions are born a few weeks or a month or two apart. That said, DM’s condition and age seemed to decline within 3-6 months. This time last year he was still very impressive, had a beautiful big mane, body in great condition, despite the limp, was still scent marking and roaring. But by the time November/December rolled around he was starting to show some decline. It’s been up and down for him ever since, but more down than up it seems. I do wonder sometimes if he has an unknown illness because even when he manages to stay well fed he can’t seem to gain back the body mass he had late last year. I also wonder how he’d be fairing if he was still in a coalition with his northern brothers? Perhaps significantly better than he is fairing now.

Just like in humans, animals also dont age the same, some peak earlier then others. 

DM is over 9 yrs old, 9-10 yrs is average lifespan of wild male lion.

Also, semi-nomadic life took its tool,  since he lost his territory last year, and went on roam thru Sabi Sands his condition start to deterioate.

I don't think DM is aging any quicker than the average lion. That injury really hurt him, I saw a clip of S8 on the djuma cam and I really noticed how different his movement was compared to DM. There was such fluidity and effortlessness in his movement, just oozing confidence. DM has nowhere near the mobility of a healthy lion, and it shows. He can't hunt for himself basically, that's a lot of meals he just doesn't get.
2 users Like sik94's post

WildLeonis Away
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2022, 05:33 AM by WildLeonis )

Mohawk with Nkuhumas at watering hole. Twin Dams. Then Blondie alone napping. They all look well fed. Mohawk is so impressive. The older he gets the better he looks.
10 users Like WildLeonis's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Mohawk at Nkorho last night. He came from the west and was looking east/north east at something catching his attention. Unfortunately the mic on the cam is busted so we couldn't  hear. Eventually he went north into the drainage line towards Torchwood property.

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Dark Mane, skinny and a lot of bite marks now. Think he's coming to the end of his journey.
By Debbie Lea Fendick

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Sikander Hayat

(08-31-2022, 10:43 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Dark Mane, skinny and a lot of bite marks now. Think he's coming to the end of his journey.
By Debbie Lea Fendick

His movement actually looks normal for him, hopefully gets a meal soon.
5 users Like sik94's post

BigLion39 Offline

Could have sworn i saw a pic of him from this exact walk a few weeks ago. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't this not a too rescent video?
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(08-31-2022, 12:15 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Could have sworn i saw a pic of him from this exact walk a few weeks ago. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't this not a too rescent video?

Apparently from yesterday on arathusa
3 users Like Tonpa's post

WildLeonis Away

He could definitely use a meal. But I think those bite marks are from a few weeks ago. They don’t look fresh to me. In spite of everything he’s walking pretty good to me.
3 users Like WildLeonis's post