There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-09-2024, 06:38 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Those boys have certainly had it rough, I hope they make it through these tough times, to become great males. Do you know if the broken leg male was with them?

Yea idk if broken leg male is part of these 3, or if he is with another group.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(09-09-2024, 06:55 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-09-2024, 06:38 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Those boys have certainly had it rough, I hope they make it through these tough times, to become great males. Do you know if the broken leg male was with them?

Yea idk if broken leg male is part of these 3, or if he is with another group.

He is alive. Seen last week so it may well be this group he was with. But I can’t be sure.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Tsalala and her 3 mini PCMs

11 users Like criollo2mil's post

Mapokser Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2024, 09:50 PM by Mapokser )

I guess then that the reason we're not seeing the Othawas very often is because they are spending time in their pride's OG territory at Ottawa Property.

Hopefully the other female will also mate with PCM and they'll have cubs soon and maybe that makes the PCM stick more to Singita.

But this is crazy to think about, NK Breakaways, Mangheni, Ximhungwe, Tsalala, Nkuhuma, and Othawa, all prides under or technically under the PCM. 6 prides for a 2 males coalition that have just turned 7yo.

Has this even been seen before? To put it into perspective, Mapogos who were 6 males only had 7 prides throughout their entire career ( if you include technically some NK and Sparta females ) and never more than 3-4 prides at the same time, but here the PCM have 6 prides at the same time, being only 2 males.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(09-09-2024, 09:38 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I guess then that the reason we're not seeing the Othawas very often is because they are spending time in their pride's OG territory at Ottawa Property.

Hopefully the other female will also mate with PCM and they'll have cubs soon and maybe that makes the PCM stick more to Singita.

But this is crazy to think about, NK Breakaways, Mangheni, Ximhungwe, Tsalala, Nkuhuma, and Othawa, all prides under or technically under the PCM. 6 prides for a 2 males coalition.

Has this even been seen before? To put it into perspective, Mapogos who were 6 males only had 7 prides throughout their entire career ( if you include technically some NK and Sparta females ) and never more than 3-4 prides at the same time, but here the PCM have 6 prides at the same time, being only 2 males.

The absolute void left in Sabi when the Northern Avocas and S8 all fell out.  It's amazing to think no other coalitions filled this.  The great hope I guess was that Kambula boys, but... we know how that turned.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2024, 11:06 PM by KM600 )

(09-09-2024, 09:38 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I guess then that the reason we're not seeing the Othawas very often is because they are spending time in their pride's OG territory at Ottawa Property.

But this is crazy to think about, NK Breakaways, Mangheni, Ximhungwe, Tsalala, Nkuhuma, and Othawa, all prides under or technically under the PCM. 6 prides for a 2 males coalition that have just turned 7yo.

While it’s an impressive feat for the PCMs, I think the numbers are a bit overstated. Ximhungwes are the only pride that 100% have their backing, Othawas aren’t considered a PCM pride at all, they’re just mating with the only dominant males in their area, although I do agree they will most likely end up under the PCMs. Mhangeni are 100% abandoned atp, sure PCMs met up and fed with them but I think this was more of them bumping into the pride after tracking Tumbela or noticing a fresh kill. 

Nkuhumas also aren’t solely under PCM control either with BDM and Mohawk spending more time with the pride than the PCMs themselves until they eventually return North and chase them away. Tsalala Pride is surviving again without PCM help, I know it’s rumoured Makhunga visited the cubs but it’s not confirmed and we haven’t seen both brothers with the pride to say it’s under their control. NK breakaways was the exact situation as current Mhangenis in terms of being abandoned. 

So the offspring they have already produced and should continue to produce is definitely a great achievement but this more to me shows the lack of competition in Sabi Sands rn. Gijimas, PCMs and Ndzengas all control multiple prides then u still have Nkhulus on top of that too. Kambulas were meant to become the real powerhouse but they’ve only recently started acting as dominant males again. None of this is stable going forward for the prides either, as cubs grow and prides get bigger there’s not enough space for everyone. One or two new coalitions are needed to help create that stability in Sabi Sands, unfortunately that is certain death for many of the cubs that are either born already or will be in the future.
3 users Like KM600's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2024, 11:26 PM by NLAL11 )

(09-09-2024, 11:06 PM)KM600 Wrote:

While it’s an impressive feat for the PCMs, I think the numbers are a bit overstated. Ximhungwes are the only pride that 100% have their backing, Othawas aren’t considered a PCM pride at all, they’re just mating with the only dominant males in their area, although I do agree they will most likely end up under the PCMs. Mhangeni are 100% abandoned atp, sure PCMs met up and fed with them but I think this was more of them bumping into the pride after tracking Tumbela or noticing a fresh kill. 

Nkuhumas also aren’t solely under PCM control either with BDM and Mohawk spending more time with the pride than the PCMs themselves until they eventually return North and chase them away. Tsalala Pride is surviving again without PCM help, I know it’s rumoured Makhunga visited the cubs but it’s not confirmed and we haven’t seen both brothers with the pride to say it’s under their control. NK breakaways was the exact situation as current Mhangenis in terms of being abandoned. 

So the offspring they have already produced and should continue to produce is definitely a great achievement but this more to me shows the lack of competition in Sabi Sands rn. Gijimas, PCMs and Ndzengas all control multiple prides then u still have Nkhulus on top of that too. Kambulas were meant to become the real powerhouse but they’ve only recently started acting as dominant males again. None of this is stable going forward for the prides either, as cubs grow and prides get bigger there’s not enough space for everyone. One or two new coalitions are needed to help create that stability in Sabi Sands, unfortunately that is certain death for many of the cubs that are either born already or will be in the future.

Add to this the actual number of lionesses. 2 Ximungwe, 2 Othawas (most likely), 3 Nkuhumas (potentially) and 1 Tsalala (kind of). As you said, the three Mhangheni lionesses are pretty much abandoned, and the two Nkuhuma breakaway subs definitely don't count. But I'll agree that the number of prides they've already sired cubs with (and probably will in the near future) is impressive, provided the cubs survive.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

It kinda depends on what you concider a pride and what it means to be in control of a pride. If you go with the traditional textbook example of a group of territorial lionesses regularly visited by the pride males. Then its only around 3. (Ximhungwe, Mangheni and Ridgenose) But if we add any leopard lionesses, young subs or any other lions just living in their territory without much interaction. Then the number gets much larger. 
Offcource the same can be said about the Mapogo successes. 

The central north, has always been lowly populated with lions for some reason. Especially Londolozi which as a result has become a popular spot for leopards.
I guess its becouse its right between most of the larger prides in the region, which avoid the area to avoid running into eachother. Which as a result also makes it less interesting for territorial males to cross unless they themselves are nomads avoiding lions. So most coalitions either take over the deep west. (Othawas, Mangheni and Ximhungwes.) Or the northeast. (Talamati, Nkuhuma and Kambulas.). 

Offcource in twenty years, the dynamics might be completely different.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Fenix123 Offline
New Join

Hi, i'm new here and this is my first post
Black Dam Male in djuma, on september 6th by wildearth
*This image is copyright of its original author
12 users Like Fenix123's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Ximhungwe youngsters already helping in hunts:

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-10-2024, 09:54 AM)Fenix123 Wrote: Hi, i'm new here and this is my first post
Black Dam Male in djuma, on september 6th by wildearth

Welcome to WildFact @Fenix123. Hope you enjoy the site as much as we do. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask the mod team. We’re always willing to help.
4 users Like T I N O's post

Mapokser Online
Contributor

@KM600 Numbers are not overstated since I said "prides under or technically under the PCM", key word technically.

The only pride with a normal, stable dynamic is the Ximhungwe pride, but all the others are PCM prides, even if just technically, all have cubs by them, are pregnant with their cubs, are their cubs, or are mating right now without any potential opposition to challenge them for such mating rights happening in their territory with females that live there.

All these prides live in their territory and are accepted by them. Tumbela, BDM and Mohawk are nomads exploiting the PCM lack of ability to keep all intruders off their huge territory, it doesn't mean they have any control over anything.

Also it's not like I was saying this like it's meant to show their great success, it remains to be seen if they'll be very successful as only the 2 Breakaways cubs are independent for now, I was just pointing out how unusual it is for only 2 males to have so many prides.

We'll see if they can raise a significant amount of cubs in their career, they were doing incredibly well until they abandoned Manghenis and lost 3 cubs.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-10-2024, 10:45 PM by afortich )

Youtube version of the Ximungwe youngsters above by @Tr1x24

5 users Like afortich's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Both plains camp males seen with the tsalala pride, finally!
7 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Ngonya Offline

(09-11-2024, 01:54 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Both plains camp males seen with the tsalala pride, finally
I was just about to post that haha!
Im really glad to see it, such great news.

12 users Like Ngonya's post