There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2024, 05:36 AM by KM600 )

(07-08-2024, 05:11 AM)Robot00 Wrote:
(07-08-2024, 01:54 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:

So are the pcm the fathers or jr's skorro?

Hopefully at least two of them are females and more hopefully that at least one of the two survives to adulthood and helps her mother rebuild their pride. But we all know how difficult it is in the wild especially for a single lioness.

As I remember @Cath2020 once saying, the date she first conceived would have been after Skorro YM was no long consistently around Sabi Sands. I wouldn’t say it’s 100% that PCMs are the fathers, as we don’t see everything that happens in her life but it’s the most likely. Out of both PCMs, Makhunga is most likely the father to this litter too.

One of the two at the back, to me, looks like a male. I agree tho, the more females the better.
4 users Like KM600's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I am gonna hope and pray it’s all girls but whatever the sex is I hope they all make it their mother is a master of staying hidden for long periods of time but man is it great that she isn’t alone anymore I assume the plains camp males are the fathers I mean she did move closer to them. But she looks like she’s on high alert Which is great
5 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2024, 07:33 PM by criollo2mil )

(07-08-2024, 07:16 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I am gonna hope and pray it’s all girls but whatever the sex is I hope they all make it their mother is a master of staying hidden for long periods of time but man is it great that she isn’t alone anymore I assume the plains camp males are the fathers I mean she did move closer to them. But she looks like she’s on high alert Which is great

Looks like have sexed the cubs.

2 Girls, one boy.    

Credit; Mariela Castillo/Coman

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-08-2024, 04:53 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(07-08-2024, 07:16 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I am gonna hope and pray it’s all girls but whatever the sex is I hope they all make it their mother is a master of staying hidden for long periods of time but man is it great that she isn’t alone anymore I assume the plains camp males are the fathers I mean she did move closer to them. But she looks like she’s on high alert Which is great

Looks like ave sexed the cubs.

2 Girls, one boy.    

Wonderful news! C'mon girl, you've got this!
7 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(07-08-2024, 06:39 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-08-2024, 04:53 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Looks like ave sexed the cubs.

2 Girls, one boy.    

Wonderful news! C'mon girl, you've got this!

I hope this the beginning to rebuild the Tsalala pride.
5 users Like afortich's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-08-2024, 05:17 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-08-2024, 01:54 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:

What a beautiful sight! Now, let us all hope that they are all 3 female.

Wonderful news! Hope these little ones make it. I wish all cubs were female. That could rebuild the Tsalala pride fast. 
6 users Like T I N O's post

Mwk85 Offline

Closer view of the Tsalala lioness and her cubs.

13 users Like Mwk85's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Tiyelele Talamati and Kambula 12 (sister of K6 and the lioness accompanying the 4 Northern Kambula boys)

Maybe the Kambula has finally decided to initiate independence.    It would be a great developement if she were to join the Talamati female somehow

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(07-09-2024, 07:14 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Tiyelele Talamati and Kambula 12 (sister of K6 and the lioness accompanying the 4 Northern Kambula boys)

Maybe the Kambula has finally decided to initiate independence.    It would be a great developement if she were to join the Talamati female somehow

I was going to share your previous post, in the Talamati thread (already copied the pic), but I see you figured out a way.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

PCM chasing thr Ndhzengas, probably from a few days ago:

7 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Elephant Plains Weekly Lion Sightings 1-7 July

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...july-2024/

Monday, 01 July 2024
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, chased hyenas of a blue wildebeest kill at Rhulani Open.
Tuesday, 02 July 2024
  • Five Nkuhuma lioness, feeding on a buffalo kill on Galligow Shortcut.
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, mobile North from One Eye pan road.
Wednesday, 03 July 2024
  • The four Kambula lions and one lioness, resting at Brown Ivory Clearing.
Thursday, 04 July 2024
  • One young male and adult female Talamti lions, sleeping on the fire break east of Simba dam.
Friday, 05 July 2024
  • Eight Nkuhuma lions and One Northern Avoca male, feeding on a impala at Serengeti Open Area.
Sunday, 07 July 2024
  • Four lionesses from the Nkuhuma pride, mobile East on Gowrie Main.
  • One young Nkuhuma male lion, resting on the Northern side of Arathusa safari airstrip.
  • The last Northern Avoca male lion, resting on A-Main East of Big Dam.

*This image is copyright of its original author

So the highlight of this week is that 8 Nkuhumas were spotted together, which means that 3 of the 2021 sub girls are still alive.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

Mwk85 Offline

Nkuhuma breakaways, son and daughter of Ridgenose, oldest offspring of the PC males. Seen at Singita yesterday.

6 users Like Mwk85's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

(07-10-2024, 12:28 PM)Go131810 Wrote:
(07-10-2024, 12:50 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: Elephant Plains Weekly Lion Sightings 1-7 July

https://elephantplains.co.za/big-5-blog/...july-2024/

Monday, 01 July 2024
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, chased hyenas of a blue wildebeest kill at Rhulani Open.
Tuesday, 02 July 2024
  • Five Nkuhuma lioness, feeding on a buffalo kill on Galligow Shortcut.
  • Three Nkuhuma lioness, mobile North from One Eye pan road.
Wednesday, 03 July 2024
  • The four Kambula lions and one lioness, resting at Brown Ivory Clearing.
Thursday, 04 July 2024
  • One young male and adult female Talamti lions, sleeping on the fire break east of Simba dam.
Friday, 05 July 2024
  • Eight Nkuhuma lions and One Northern Avoca male, feeding on a impala at Serengeti Open Area.
Sunday, 07 July 2024
  • Four lionesses from the Nkuhuma pride, mobile East on Gowrie Main.
  • One young Nkuhuma male lion, resting on the Northern side of Arathusa safari airstrip.
  • The last Northern Avoca male lion, resting on A-Main East of Big Dam.

So the highlight of this week is that 8 Nkuhumas were spotted together, which means that 3 of the 2021 sub girls are still alive.

?

It might be easier for members to answer your question if you could provide a short sentence about what you're questioning :)
4 users Like 1999gc8's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Arathusa's post yesterday:

"A whole network of coalitions at play... The Plains Camp male lions have been looking to extend their kingdom, with eyes closely focused on the Nkuhuma pride.

Right now, we have a few coalitions in our midst - the two Ndzhenga Males, the four Kumbula brothers, and the Plains Camp males - and are excited to watch the dynamics unfold.

Who do you think is likely to dominate?"

5 users Like Mapokser's post

Super Moderator

(07-11-2024, 02:54 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Arathusa's post yesterday:

"A whole network of coalitions at play... The Plains Camp male lions have been looking to extend their kingdom, with eyes closely focused on the Nkuhuma pride.

Right now, we have a few coalitions in our midst - the two Ndzhenga Males, the four Kumbula brothers, and the Plains Camp males - and are excited to watch the dynamics unfold.

Who do you think is likely to dominate?"

If the Kambula sister recently hanging with Tiyelele' is a permanent thing, and the K-Boys get their confidence footing underneath them, which is to say that the previous beating at the paws of the PCMs doesn't remain in the forefront of their minds, then I think they could certainly win the battle for dominance in the north. As for the PCM and Nwas, if they find themselves on neutral ground, which the north currently is, you can toss a coin as to how that will turn out. A lot of how that will play out depends on who gets the jump, which coalition is able to separate one of the other males, I believe a battle between those two groups can be viewed as being as evenly matched, about as much as you'll find..
6 users Like BA0701's post