There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Avocas chased 6 of them once and then 5, getting Delaporte.

Soon after they felt the pressure and abandoned their territory.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(07-01-2024, 09:10 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Avocas chased 6 of them once and then 5, getting Delaporte.

That’s not an ousted tho they left under their own will nobody really made them leave they beat up one of them and left it’s not really an ousted what made them make the southern avocas leave it wasn’t them fighting it was them being 6 or 7 males and when the avocas left it took alive before they started to look for the sand river pride females so I don’t think that what happened it wasn’t a “real” ousted to be honest

Ngonya Offline

Quick video in a different angle of Blonde Gijima chasing Nkhulus

*This image is copyright of its original author

Dark Mane Gijima was there too, obviously 

Little bit of blood in both Gijimas, guess at least a short physical altercation happened
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-01-2024, 11:41 PM by Tr1x24 )

@Ngonya this should be posted in Gijimas thread.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(07-01-2024, 10:16 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 09:10 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Avocas chased 6 of them once and then 5, getting Delaporte.

That’s not an ousted tho they left under their own will nobody really made them leave they beat up one of them and left it’s not really an ousted what made them make the southern avocas leave it wasn’t them fighting it was them being 6 or 7 males and when the avocas left it took alive before they started to look for the sand river pride females so I don’t think that what happened it wasn’t a “real” ousted to be honest

They literally abandoned their prides, and cubs, after being confronted by a very large coalition. Whether it was after a beating, or actually being physically chased, or if they simply gave to the pressure of a no win situation, it doesn't really matter. This is as real of an ouster as you can have, if they don't leave, then that is not an ouster.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Ngonya Offline

(07-01-2024, 11:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @Ngonya this should be posted in Gijimas thread
sure, someone else should post there.

I was confused which thread to post it. 
And i shouldnt post something twice in different threads according to @BA0701
2 users Like Ngonya's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(07-01-2024, 11:41 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

They literally abandoned their prides, and cubs, after being confronted by a very large coalition. Whether it was after a beating, or actually being physically chased, or if they simply gave to the pressure of a no win situation, it doesn't really matter. This is as real of an ouster as you can have, if they don't leave, then that is not an ouster.

Do you have the post numbers referring to the s avocas abandoning their prides and territory? From what I understand there were many chases and confrontations, roaring and scent making, cubs and sub adults were killed, lionesses intimidated and lionesses seduced. Then there was only one S avoca vs 2 so he left. The missing avoca could very well have been killed by rival lions (most likely but unknown)and always the possibility of hunting accident and they have frikken snares to deal with.

Super Moderator

(Yesterday, 12:29 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 11:41 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Do you have the post numbers referring to the s avocas abandoning their prides and territory? From what I understand there were many chases and confrontations, roaring and scent making, cubs and sub adults were killed, lionesses intimidated and lionesses seduced. Then there was only one S avoca vs 2 so he left. The missing avoca could very well have been killed by rival lions (most likely but unknown)and always the possibility of hunting accident and they have frikken snares to deal with.

It should all be documented in the Avoca thread, I believe. There was some back and forth, during which the attack on Dreadlocks happened, not long after that the S Avocas left the area, headed north, I believe @Tr1x24 said they it was all the way up at Hamilton's where they were seen mating. From there, only one male was seen, baring some new injuries, and walking south, until he finally returned to southern SS, where he remains today.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(07-01-2024, 11:57 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(07-01-2024, 11:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @Ngonya this should be posted in Gijimas thread
sure, someone else should post there.

I was confused which thread to post it. 
And i shouldnt post something twice in different threads according to @BA0701

LOL, I got your post moved to the Gijima thread, only to find out @Tr1x24 had already shared it there. So, I moved it back here. Thank you, @Tr1x24 , my friend, for the assist!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

where the other black dam male brother is he still alive in sabi sands ?

Ngonya Offline

Nkhulu x Gijima
More info by Sabi Sabi:
"The Gijima males were found near Selati Camp in the company of the Msuthlu females following up on a big herd of buffalos grazing in the open area in front of the lodge.  They followed the herd until dark, but the buffaloes put up a strong fight and repeatedly chased the lions away. Eventually, the lions were overpowered and had to abandon their hunt.

Morning safari began quietly, the cool weather providing ideal conditions for the Gijima males and Msuthlu females to traverse the night. Their tracks, etched in the sand, revealed a change of plans, with the lions abandoning their buffalo trail and heading south. The Gijima males' tracks diverged eastward, while the Msuthlu females and their cubs settled just north of Bush Lodge.

As the morning progressed, distant roars from the east hinted at nearby males, their calls growing louder and demanding attention. Upon reaching the eastern stretches of our reserve, the two Gijima males emerged over the rise, moving west with palpable tension. Moments later, four Nkhuhlu males appeared, roaring and chasing the Gijimas.

The chase led into the reserve, culminating in an open area near Bush Lodge. The "smaller" Gijima male, typically overshadowed by his dominant brother, suddenly turned to confront the Nkhuhlu males. In a burst of fierce energy, he pinned one down, biting into limbs before driving the Nkhuhlu males back towards the eastern boundary, reasserting his territory. 

This fierce defence not only showcased the Gijima males' strength but also underscored their commitment to protecting the cubs just north of Bush Lodge, ensuring their safety amidst the constant threats from outsider males."

11 users Like Ngonya's post

Super Moderator

(Yesterday, 03:25 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Nkhulu x Gijima
More info by Sabi Sabi:
"The Gijima males were found near Selati Camp in the company of the Msuthlu females following up on a big herd of buffalos grazing in the open area in front of the lodge.  They followed the herd until dark, but the buffaloes put up a strong fight and repeatedly chased the lions away. Eventually, the lions were overpowered and had to abandon their hunt.

Morning safari began quietly, the cool weather providing ideal conditions for the Gijima males and Msuthlu females to traverse the night. Their tracks, etched in the sand, revealed a change of plans, with the lions abandoning their buffalo trail and heading south. The Gijima males' tracks diverged eastward, while the Msuthlu females and their cubs settled just north of Bush Lodge.

As the morning progressed, distant roars from the east hinted at nearby males, their calls growing louder and demanding attention. Upon reaching the eastern stretches of our reserve, the two Gijima males emerged over the rise, moving west with palpable tension. Moments later, four Nkhuhlu males appeared, roaring and chasing the Gijimas.

The chase led into the reserve, culminating in an open area near Bush Lodge. The "smaller" Gijima male, typically overshadowed by his dominant brother, suddenly turned to confront the Nkhuhlu males. In a burst of fierce energy, he pinned one down, biting into limbs before driving the Nkhuhlu males back towards the eastern boundary, reasserting his territory. 

This fierce defence not only showcased the Gijima males' strength but also underscored their commitment to protecting the cubs just north of Bush Lodge, ensuring their safety amidst the constant threats from outsider males."

As the Godsmack song so aptly proclaims, "when Legends Rise"
2 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Gijimas are doing something I don't think PCM or even legendary duos from the past like Mlowathi and S.Matimbas could.

They are up against 6-7 males and still doing incredibly well in clashes even after the Nkhulus became fully territorial.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Super Moderator

(Yesterday, 09:04 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Gijimas are doing something I don't think PCM or even legendary duos from the past like Mlowathi and S.Matimbas could.

They are up against 6-7 males and still doing incredibly well in clashes even after the Nkhulus became fully territorial.

While the Nkhulus are impressive in the size of their coalition, they do not seem very tight, working well in such situations, yet. In fact it is rare to see a large group of them together at the same time, and since their arrival in the area, mostly since the disappearance of Dreadlocks, I do not recall seeing all six of them together at the same time. Not to mention the fact that a few of them often appear sick, which, while being undetectable to other lions, being in such condition can surely affect the individual's mindset, and sap him of his confidence. Limper Tumbela is a perfect example of this, when he saw Nhenha and NYM, his initial response was to submit, he was unable to try and fight or even flee. Nhenha and NYM were obviously unaware of this, but Limper knew full well he was unable to compete.

I believe this is why we have not seen a lot of expansion out of them, to date. In fairness, when we recently saw three of the Kambulas confront the SBDM, that was the first time I have seen them confront a threat with a united front. Given some of the beatings the Kambulas have dealt with, it seems that such unity can take more time with some groups. It also shows that they might not always remain fractured forever, as well.
3 users Like BA0701's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(Yesterday, 07:24 PM)I’m BA0701 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 03:25 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Nkhulu x Gijima
More info by Sabi Sabi:

As the Godsmack song so aptly proclaims, "when Legends Rise"

I definitely hear metallicas “Wherever I may roam “ or “seek and destroy”.
There was an old YouTube video of red road and other males of sabi sands and there was such a cool rock beat. Red road was roaring at night but with the orange red sunset in the background.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post