There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kambula/Ntsevu males

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(05-24-2024, 08:53 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Some videos high lighting the Kambula Boys (K4 & K5)  in WildEarth YT channel

May 19
0:42 - K5 shows up 
1:57 - K5 displays some of his wounds caused by the Plains Camp previously this year

May 21
4:05 - K5

May 23
1:38 - K4 patrolling in the north by himself

Thank you for posting these !
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(05-24-2024, 11:35 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 11:12 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 10:03 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: How about we name him Khayfer?
what does it mean?

Idk but personally i would say a simple name in english refering to his character (personality and/or physical traits) should be enough.
Just like one of his brothers, called by some as 'Grumpy' and now '3tooth'

It means K4 spelled out... :Grin Sorry, I guess the joke was lost.  Grin

At least you got to explain your joke. As we all know this always makes them funnier (sarcasm). But maybe 'Khayfor' (with an o) would have been a bit more obvious Wink
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(05-24-2024, 11:12 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 10:03 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: How about we name him Khayfer?
what does it mean?

Idk but personally i would say a simple name in english refering to his character (personality and/or physical traits) should be enough.

I agree with the English names based on personality or traits. If guides decide to give them a name in the local language that's awesome (like Tiyelele) but I think the online community should stick to these kind of names.

Three-tooth/3tooth is by far the most unique of the four, and so much easier to name. In fact he has multiple potential names (3tooth, mohawk, short-maned, grumpy), while we struggle to think of one for the others. Hopefully more ideas will present themselves as they mature.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(05-24-2024, 11:36 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-24-2024, 10:00 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: I love all 4 boys but K4 is the main man, the top boy. But he needs a better name than 'K4'.
(05-24-2024, 11:12 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Idk but personally i would say a simple name in english refering to his character (personality and/or physical traits) should be enough.

K4 has 1 unique "feature".

Notice when he walks how his tail is hanging "loose" straight down, unlike most of lions who's tail is slightly curved at the top.

I remember Diamond Toulon had the same tail style, which loooks badass.

Idk if his tail is broken, or just "loose" like that naturally.

So we could reffer to him with something about his tail.

Broken Tail, Loose Tail ?

Suggestions?

Now that you've pointed it out it's so obvious. But... for some reason Loose Tail or Broken Tail just don't have the same ring to them as Kinky Tail or Snip Tail. I don't know why. But maybe 'broken tail' sounds good in a local language.

Poland NLAL11 Offline

We could always call K4 'Shaka'. That seems like quite a unique name. Don't think I've ever heard of a lion called Shaka.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Ttimemarti Offline

Loose tail k4
3 tooth k5 or grumpy face
Just leaves the other two lol 
K3 
K6 
K2 has (snip tail) no name for k1 tho
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Shaka Mapogo, Shaka Matimba, Shaka Mbiri...

Fans also tried to name the smaller PCM Shaka.

I think we should leave it to the guides, if the Kambulas establish themselves in the North they may give them names as they usually do, though since they are already using the numbers the fans came up with I'm not so sure.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Cedric on WildEarth saying the Kambulas are currently following buffalo in Manyeleti.

I hope someone got screenshots of the Panthera map of mouthly lion sightings, very interesting stuff.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

RookiePundit Offline

(05-25-2024, 04:05 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Shaka Mapogo, Shaka Matimba, Shaka Mbiri...

Fans also tried to name the smaller PCM Shaka.

I think we should leave it to the guides, if the Kambulas establish themselves in the North they may give them names as they usually do, though since they are already using the numbers the fans came up with I'm not so sure.

I think he was being sarcastic :)
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

RookiePundit Offline

Loose Tail sounds fine. Considering he is the only brother among them mating all around it also kind of have a second rather immature fitting meaning. Well-spotted, I never noticed that.

I don't have a particular favorite among them but I'm a simple man, I like those I can recognize and K5 with his distinctive facial features was always recognizable from his littermates even when they were still with the pride and had little to no mane. For the same selfish reasons I hope he can pass these on if the coalitions is successful.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

@Mapokser 

As Rookiepundit said I was being sarcastic. I'm wholly aware of the overabundance of 'Shakas'. Ha, I didn't know they tried to name the smaller-maned PC boy that, he deserves something more original. It was Cedric referring to them as K4, K6 etc. that made me think maybe the fans/we should start calling them something else.

Apparently the Kambulas were in the Manyelti yesterday, near Pungwe camp, but are back down south in Buffelshoek today. Hopefully we'll get a more concrete update soon. The maps have been posted here.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(05-25-2024, 02:45 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: Loose Tail sounds fine. Considering he is the only brother among them mating all around it also kind of have a second rather immature fitting meaning. Well-spotted, I never noticed that.

I don't have a particular favorite among them but I'm a simple man, I like those I can recognize and K5 with his distinctive facial features was always recognizable from his littermates even when they were still with the pride and had little to no mane. For the same selfish reasons I hope he can pass these on if the coalitions is successful.

I am also developing a soft spot for Three-tooth, as the most recognisable and unique looking of the bunch.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

So I've gone and created a poll for people to vote on potential names for the 4 northern boys. Multiple choices/answers are possible, and there is an 'add own choice' option for people with their own name ideas, but it doesn't require an answer to every question, so you don't have to vote on every male. The link is below:

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ANKAYK/

The results of this poll are in no way binding, I just thought it would be interesting to see people's thoughts and ideas. The survey will be left open for a good while so people can take their time and think about it, and I will share the results in a few weeks.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

adamstocks16 Offline

(05-25-2024, 08:43 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: So I've gone and created a poll for people to vote on potential names for the 4 northern boys. Multiple choices/answers are possible, and there is an 'add own choice' option for people with their own name ideas, but it doesn't require an answer to every question, so you don't have to vote on every male. The link is below:

The results of this poll are in no way binding, I just thought it would be interesting to see people's thoughts and ideas. The survey will be left open for a good while so people can take their time and think about it, and I will share the results in a few weeks.

Great idea, been following these boys since they were born and it would be great for them to get individual names. Let me know what you think of the below guys;

K3 - Kimya (meaning ‘quiet’ in Swahili as K3 seems to be the most calm and reserved out of all the brothers.

K4 - Kiongozi (meaning ‘leader’ in Swahili on account of K4 being the natural born leader of the coalition.

K5 - Mwenye (meaning ‘grumpy’ in Swahili due to his characteristic expression.

K6 - Mdogo (meaning ‘youngest’ in Swahili.
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-25-2024, 10:11 PM)adamstocks16 Wrote:
(05-25-2024, 08:43 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: So I've gone and created a poll for people to vote on potential names for the 4 northern boys. Multiple choices/answers are possible, and there is an 'add own choice' option for people with their own name ideas, but it doesn't require an answer to every question, so you don't have to vote on every male. The link is below:

Great idea, been following these boys since they were born and it would be great for them to get individual names. Let me know what you think of the below guys;

K3 - Kimya (meaning ‘quiet’ in Swahili as K3 seems to be the most calm and reserved out of all the brothers.

K4 - Kiongozi (meaning ‘leader’ in Swahili on account of K4 being the natural born leader of the coalition.

K5 - Mwenye (meaning ‘grumpy’ in Swahili due to his characteristic expression.

K6 - Mdogo (meaning ‘youngest’ in Swahili.

Welcome to WildFact, @adamstocks16 , we hope you enjoy your time here, and look forward to your contributions.

Please have a look at our rules, and don't hesitate to contact myself, or any other member of the Mod Team, with any questions you might have. Cheers, my friend!

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-forum-rules
2 users Like BA0701's post