There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

How to upload image
Posted by: sanjay - 04-04-2014, 09:37 AM - Forum: Tips, Guides, Tutorial & Technical Problem - Replies (3)
Note: This tutorial is updated on 23-Oct-2015 for new text editor.

Note: If you are looking to Insert image directly from other website like facebook, photobucket, google etc then this tutorial is not for you, please go here http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-how-to-i...this-forum
This tutorial is only for those member who want to upload an image from their computer, pc, mac, laptop, tablet, mobile or any other device. Please follow the below steps

1. Click on the "i" icon from the text editor as shown in the below image.

*This image is copyright of its original author

2. It will open a windows from your system asking to select the image file you want to upload. Please go to the folder in which you have image and select it by clicking on it and then click on "Open" button. See below image

3. It will start uploading the image, "i" icon will disappear and spinning icon will come in place of it. Please wait for some time. See the below image

4.When image uploading is finished, the spinning icon will disappear and "i" icon will come back. You will see uploaded image directly inside text editor as show in below image.

5. Now complete your writing or copy paste the text etc. Or you can follow the same above procedure to upload more image.

6. Click on "Preview Post" If you want to see post before final posting OR click on "Post Reply" to finally submit your reply or thread.

This is how you will upload images from your computer, laptop in post while replying or creating new thread. Hope this help.

note: the above process will upload image from your system to imgur server (an image hosting website).
Print this item
  ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - B - THE LION (Panthera leo)
Posted by: peter - 04-04-2014, 06:22 AM - Forum: Edge of Extinction - Replies (320)
INTRODUCTION AND STATUS

Although there are more wild lions (25 000 - 30 000, experts think) than wild tigers (about 3 000), lions have rapidly lost ground in the last decades. The population in Gir (India) is more or less stable, but in Africa the situation is different.  

Lions are protected in well-known reserves, but they struggle in regions where they have to compete with humans. In many parts of Africa, they are faced with loss of habitat and poachers.

How solve this problem?  

The answer was saltwater crocs in Australia, some thought. Although they eat humans at times, their skin was the main reason they were hunted close to extinction. How save wild crocs and meet the demand? Croc farms!  

Could lion farms be a solution for problems in Africa?

Not quite. Wild lions, in contrast to crocs, compete with humans in that they use similar regions. They also eat them at times. How solve these problems when it is also known big game hunters like lions? Lion farms!

The main advantage of lion farms is revenues. Revenues for those who invested in these farms in particular. As they only make money when lions are sold to zoos or shot by hunters, lion farming compares to any other business in that it is about making a few bucks in the end. True, the owners say, but locals profit as well and some hunters prefer farm lions over wild lions, thus limiting poaching. Farm lions are bigger and hunting them is way easier than hunting wild lions. Murder, opponents say. True, but it has an effect on poaching and poaching in Africa is very big business. Many species in Africa walk the edge as a direct result.    

This thread is dedicated to wild lions. Anyone with good information (old and new) is invited to share it here.
Print this item
  How to insert image in text editor on this forum
Posted by: sanjay - 04-04-2014, 12:51 AM - Forum: Tips, Guides, Tutorial & Technical Problem - Replies (5)
Note: This tutorial is update for new editor on 23-Oct-2015
If you are looking to upload image from your computer, laptop, tablet, mobile or any other device then this tutorial is not for you, please go to here http://wildfact.com/forum/topic-how-to-upload-image
In this tutorial we teach how to insert images in your post from other websites, like photobucket, facebook, google image, tinyurl or any image on internet. Please follow the below steps

1. First Click on the image icon at the top of the Text Editor as shown in the below image.

2. Now an inline  popup with text boxes will appear, as shown in below image.

3. Go to the image which you want to insert. In this tutorial I am inserting an image (this is the link of image used in this tutorial:-  http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/0...oy-670.jpg) from google. You can use image link from any other website.
  a). Copy the link of image in the text box as shown in step 1 of the below image.
  b). You can also set image width and height but it is optional.
  c). Now click on "Insert" button as shown in step 2 of the below image, this will insert the image inside text editor at the position where you were typing.

4. You can see the image inside text editor as show in below image.

5. Now complete your writing or copy paste the text etc. Or you can follow the same above procedure to insert more image.

6. Click on "Preview Post" If you want to see post before final posting OR click on  "Post Reply" to finally submit your reply or thread.

This is how you will insert image from any other source from internet. Similarly you can insert image from any source as long as you can get the link of image.
Print this item
  Info on other animal forums
Posted by: peter - 04-03-2014, 10:03 PM - Forum: Suggestion, Feedback and Complaint - Replies (17)
It's very likely all AVA forums will be deleted in the near future (reliable source). Former posters are adviced to copy (and paste) those threads and posts considered interesting. We could perhaps create a new board here to store posts and even complete threads.
Print this item
Wink B2 and Other Great Tiger Pics from India
Posted by: Roflcopters - 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM - Forum: Tiger - Replies (3687)
Ok this will officially be the new place for us to post tiger pictures, hope to see all the old faces.

will update later.
Print this item
  ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)
Posted by: peter - 04-03-2014, 08:28 AM - Forum: Edge of Extinction - Replies (2715)
01 - CURRENT STATUS (2015)

At the turn of the last century, there could have been about 100.000 wild tigers in Asia.

Today,

" ... fewer than 4000 inhabit the forests of Asia - a historically low number. These tigers occupy only 7% of their former estimated distribution range ... and 70% of them ... occupy only 0,5% of their historical range ... " ('Planning Tiger Recovery: Understanding Intraspecific Variation for Effective Conservation', Wilting et al., 2015).

As many live in isolated small patches not connected to others, it has to be expected the lack of new genes will have significant consequences. Most wild tigers are doomed, that is.

Experts think only tigers living in south-west India, the Terai and Primorye could stand a chance in the long run, which would be some decades. Recent reports of TRAFFIC and other organisations, however, show tigers are poached in these regions as well.

Most poached tigers pop up in small parts in some form somewhere in Asia. Tiger poaching is an interesting business on account of the very limited number of wild animals. The trade in wild animals all over the world is big business. Billions of dollars every year also means poachers are well armed and dangerous. If what we see today is typical for the future, a policy like the one adopted in Kazirangha might be the only option.

This thread is dedicated to tigers. Anyone with good information is invited to share it here.
Print this item
  Any Change In forum Category or Order ?
Posted by: sanjay - 04-02-2014, 12:03 AM - Forum: Suggestion, Feedback and Complaint - Replies (24)
Dear Members,

Feel free to give your suggestion that you think

1. Need to re-order the forum or category.
2. Add extra category
3. Add extra forum or sub-forum.
4. Or any other improvement or change in the way forum and category is currently displayed.

Your suggestion will be taken into consideration and after approval with other members will be applied.
Print this item
  Brander, Hewett and the Maharaja of Cooch Behar: a review to the records
Posted by: GuateGojira - 04-01-2014, 11:19 AM - Forum: Wild Cats - Replies (16)
I made this new topic because I made a review to all the weights and sizes from these three hunters and naturalist of the first part of the 19 century. Besides, it is fair to say that the records of these three men present the largest samples and series of measurements of all times, given the only reliable clips about the real spectrum of sizes that the tigers can present.

The point is also to compare the figures that I obtained with those of peter, because when I made my review, none of the averages or ranges match with those of him.

Let’s begin the investigation in order the set the final figures that will be used in the future.

Dunbar Brander (1923) Wild Animals in Central India:

There is not much to say about him. He presents his records in a clean form, no interpretation, just the average, ranges and sample sizes. Here are the images:

It is interesting to see that the figures that he proposes are for “gorged” tigers, however he also say that although he used only those that he classified as adults, he confess that this is a very hard work and that at the end, that classification is a plain “guess”. In this case, many juveniles’ specimens were included in his sample, but this will help to balance the averages that could be inflated by the gorged specimens. The figure of 420 lb. (190.5 kg - males) and 290 lb. (131.5 kg – females) would represent, in this case, the average of more or less empty belly tigers, thanks to the inclusions of young specimens.

Among all the length records, the longest tiger of Brander (10 ft 3 in – 313 cm) represent the forth longest male tiger measured between pegs, apart from the record tigers of Gerard Wood (1978), which measured 323, 322 and 320 cm between pegs. However, his largest tiger was not the longest just because its tail was cut off. This huge male measured 7 ft 3 inn (221 cm) in head-body between pegs, been the largest wild cat ever measured, and only surpassed by the great prehistoric felids. If this giant could have a tail of 113 cm (the tail recorded for the Sauraha male), it would measure 333 cm between pegs. This male is practically of the same size (if not slightly larger) than the largest male Amur tiger hunted by Jankovski (quoted by Mazák).

In the case of Brander, everything in already written, explained and we can use it safely. :sleepy:

John P. Hewett (1938) Jungle Trails in Northern India: Reminiscences of Hunting in India:

These are the best records from the northwest area of India. This was the region where Jim Corbett lived and where the famous Bachelor of Powalgarh made its domains.

Hewett was a great hunter and naturalist, but he don’t present all his records in a single form, he gives the list of his largest ones but all the other are scattered through the book. In this case, I used the images posted by peter and Bold champ, in order the get the full list of specimens presented by Hewett in his book. Here are all the original images:

Note: the post allows only 10 images for post. The next images will be in my next post.

Based in all these weights, I constructed the following tables (preliminary) for male and female tigers:

The average weight for males was of 202.1 kg (n=19; range 165.6 – 258.5) while that of females was of 139.4 kg (n=7; range 117.9 – 157.4). This surprises me because the figures of peter are completely different. Here is the comparison:

Me (2014): Males - 202.1 kg (n=19; range 165.6 – 258.5).
Females - 139.4 kg (n=7; range 117.9 – 157.4).
From peter: Males - 197.6 kg (n=18; range 161.0 – 258.5).
Females – 132.9 kg (n=8; range 113.4 – 157.4).

My first thought was that I was wrong and I copy again all the records, this time manually and latter I compare them with those of my excel sheet. The result was clear: I had not repeated any record and I have not found in any part the weights of the smallest specimens (355 lb for the male; 250 lb for the female).

About the female, the sample of peter is larger, so it is possible that Bold simple don’t found the record and didn’t take a picture of it. However, for the male tigers, my sample is larger and I highly doubt that Bold would lose the opportunity to show such a small specimen. My guess is that in the case of the male, maybe peter misquotes the figure of 365 lb, while in the case of the female I think that Bold slipped that figure in his pictures. Take in count that this is just speculation, and peter is the only one that could clarify those records.

It is interesting to see that if we take only the specimens over 170 kg (the male of 368 lb was a cub with his sister; the male of 365 lb had porcupine quills in its back), the average will be of 209 kg (n=16), slightly higher than the records of Cooch Behar (excluding the gorged or full of beef specimens). If we include the male of 355 lb, the average would be of 200 kg (n=20).

It seems that the tigers from the northwest India had average figures of no less than 200 kg for males and 130 kg for females. However, I need the help of peter in order the set the official figure in this area. About the total length (which is the only measurement presented by Hewett), I am not interested as it was taken over curves. So, in that case, I would only copy-paste the figures of peter.

Here are the other images from Bold:

He posted 14 images in total.
Print this item
  If you are new join in wildfact community
Posted by: sanjay - 04-01-2014, 01:06 AM - Forum: Tips, Guides, Tutorial & Technical Problem - No Replies
If you have join the forum recently and reading this thread, then I have some tips for you to get starting here.

1. If you think you can contribute to the wildfact community with your knowledge and data, then contact @peter with your expertise details. He will direct you.

2. If you are here just to learn about your favorite wild animals, keep coming back regularly. Book mark it.

3. You can also go to this link to give feedback, suggestion etc.

4. Please like wildfact community on facebook and spread the world about this forum. You can find the facebook like button at the top of the every page.

5. Subscribe WildFact YouTube channel, link can be found in bottom.

6. Also if you like any thread here, you can, tweet, like on facebook, share on facebook or plus it. You will get it at top of every thread page.

7. This forum is best viewed in chrome and firefox browser.

I request all of you to keep this forum growing with good data and knowledge.
Print this item
  Forum rules
Posted by: peter - 03-31-2014, 08:43 AM - Forum: Forum Rules & Announcement - Replies (29)
A - WHY THIS FORUM WAS STARTED

Our planet is quite something to behold. Although many would agree with this statement, the natural world isn't considered an issue by those elected to represent 'We, the People'. The result is wild country is threatened everywhere.

The balance between humans and other creatures has been lost. In about one century only, many species have disappeared completely. Those that survived, lost over 90% of their numbers in many cases. If we want to preserve what is left, we have to act and we have to do it now.

In order to do this, we need a voice. The problem is 'We, the People' have no opportunity to talk to those responsible for the destruction we see. Those elected to 'represent' us, most unfortunately, also prefer to ignore us. Access has a price, these days.

There are many ways to change this situation. One, perhaps, is to create a forum where we can discuss things omitted in most debates and agenda's.

This forum is about the natural world and those living in the unknown emerald forest. In this forum, they will have a voice. We will speak for them and they will be heard.

B - FORUM RULES

If we want to realize the goal and enable all of those interested to contribute, we need a few rules.

01 - The intention of this forum is to provide good information and to enable good debates. Debates on issues neglected by researchers. In order to get there, we need respect. Respect for good information, good arguments and, last but not least, respect for other members. This means all members involved in a debate have to refrain from anything not accepted in real life as well.

02 - This forum is about good information. What is good information? Good information is reliable, first-hand and authentic information related to the topic discussed. Information collected by researchers and those who have (had) first-hand experience with wild or captive animals. Could be books, articles, short stories, tables and interviews. Anything goes, as long as it is authentic and true.

03 - What are 'good' debates? In a good debate, all participants are enabled to present their views/ideas on a topic without being shot immediately. In order to get there, arguments are needed. Presented in such a way, they can be discussed. This means posts have to be short, to the point and readable .

04 - What is the aim of a debate? The aim is to present all views and ideas and get to a conclusion. A conclusion shared by most. It takes more skill to disagree with some dignity than to agree.

05 - What is not wanted? The forum is on the natural world and those without a voice. This means it isn't about us, humans. Anyone who uses animals to talk about himself is adviced to visit other forums. Same for those interested in fights, (confirmation of) preference, wars and connected.

06 - Moderation in this forum is strict.
Print this item
Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)
Forum Statistics
» Members: 2,638
» Latest member: Pierre
» Forum threads: 1,218
» Forum posts: 168,669

Full Statistics
Online Users
There are currently 662 online users.
» 3 Member(s) | 659 Guest(s)
Duco Ndona, Tr1x24
Latest Threads
Lions of Sabi Sands
Last Post: Tr1x24 | 3 minutes ago
Coalitions of Kruger Nati...
Last Post: kobe8jf1234 | 41 minutes ago
Bears as Predators ~
Last Post: TheHyenid76 | 1 hour ago
Birmingham Coalition Male...
Last Post: Cath2020 | 1 hour ago
The Tumbela Coalition
Last Post: Cath2020 | 2 hours ago
Other male lion coalition...
Last Post: T_Ferguson | 2 hours ago
The Caspian Tiger (Panthe...
Last Post: lfelipe86 | 3 hours ago
Kambula/Ntsevu Pride
Last Post: Ttimemarti | 3 hours ago
Lion pictures and videos
Last Post: Hello | 7 hours ago
Captive Lion and Tiger we...
Last Post: Hello | 8 hours ago
Talamati/Msutlu Pride
Last Post: BA0701 | 04-26-2024, 06:32 PM
Lions of Timbavati
Last Post: BA0701 | 04-26-2024, 05:56 PM
Lions of Manyeleti
Last Post: Tr1x24 | 04-26-2024, 10:22 AM
Styx Pride
Last Post: NLAL11 | 04-25-2024, 11:39 PM
The Birmingham Males
Last Post: Timbavati | 04-25-2024, 10:49 PM
About Us
Go Social     Subscribe  

Welcome to WILDFACT forum, a website that focuses on sharing the joy that wildlife has on offer. We welcome all wildlife lovers to join us in sharing that joy. As a member you can share your research, knowledge and experience on animals with the community.
wildfact.com is intended to serve as an online resource for wildlife lovers of all skill levels from beginners to professionals and from all fields that belong to wildlife anyhow. Our focus area is wild animals from all over world. Content generated here will help showcase the work of wildlife experts and lovers to the world. We believe by the help of your informative article and content we will succeed to educate the world, how these beautiful animals are important to survival of all man kind.
Many thanks for visiting wildfact.com. We hope you will keep visiting wildfact regularly and will refer other members who have passion for wildlife.

Forum software by © MyBB