There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

Taiwan Betty Offline

(05-05-2019, 12:10 AM)Shadow Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 12:00 AM)Betty Wrote: Nanjing Hongshan Forest Zoo

African lion and siberian tiger

*This image is copyright of its original author

When putting photos, it would be nice, that both in same scale. This kind of "comparisons" are nonsense. I could take also two photos and scale a lion to be 1,5 times higher than tiger :)
When all know, that lions are usually taller what comes to shoulder height and tigers then longer, this kind of photos doesn´t look too honest.

I looked now a bit closer. I have to admit, that somewhat interesting photos, it would be nice to see more photos of these animals. Is there more information about these individuals?
This is the source of the picture, there is a video.    https://www.bilibili.com/video/av51200664

This photo was taken by my friend.

5 users Like Betty's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2019, 12:38 AM by Shadow )

(05-05-2019, 12:28 AM)Betty Wrote:

When putting photos, it would be nice, that both in same scale. This kind of "comparisons" are nonsense. I could take also two photos and scale a lion to be 1,5 times higher than tiger :)
When all know, that lions are usually taller what comes to shoulder height and tigers then longer, this kind of photos doesn´t look too honest.

I looked now a bit closer. I have to admit, that somewhat interesting photos, it would be nice to see more photos of these animals. Is there more information about these individuals?
This is the source of the picture, there is a video.    https://www.bilibili.com/video/av51200664

Thank you, I commented a bit harshly first, because that looked like so many "fanboy comparisons" but actually it started to look more interesting. Maybe that could be exceptional tiger and not so big lion. Is there any information available about these individuals?

Taiwan Betty Offline

(05-05-2019, 12:33 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Thank you, I commented a bit harshly first, because that looked like so many "fanboy comparisons" but actually it started to look more interesting. Maybe that could be exceptional tiger and not so big lion. Is there any information available about these individuals?
I don't know anything about them at the moment, the information is all from my friends.
1 user Likes Betty's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-05-2019, 12:37 AM)Betty Wrote:

I don't know anything about them at the moment, the information is all from my friends.

If you find out please share, it looks like to be quite clear that when comparing these individuals that tiger is taller what comes to shoulder height. So it would be really interesting to know more. Are we really looking at huge tiger or is that lion just small :) After all in average lions tend to be taller. But naturally if tiger would be really big, let´s say 120 cm shoulder height and lion smaller, about 100 cm, it would look like something like that, what can be seen on video.
But because those are zoo animals there might be possibility to get information, at least if some local asks from there.

Taiwan Betty Offline

(05-05-2019, 12:46 AM)Shadow Wrote:

If you find out please share, it looks like to be quite clear that when comparing these individuals that tiger is taller what comes to shoulder height. So it would be really interesting to know more. Are we really looking at huge tiger or is that lion just small :) After all in average lions tend to be taller. But naturally if tiger would be really big, let´s say 120 cm shoulder height and lion smaller, about 100 cm, it would look like something like that, what can be seen on video.
But because those are zoo animals there might be possibility to get information, at least if some local asks from there.

According to my long-term observation, there are often many huge tigers in the Chinese zoo and circus. This is an example.

Next to it is an adult African lion.

4 users Like Betty's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(05-05-2019, 12:56 AM)Betty Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 12:46 AM)Shadow Wrote:

According to my long-term observation, there are often many huge tigers in the Chinese zoo and circus. This is an example.

Next to it is an adult African lion.

It is nice to see big ones always. Then again it would be nice to know more about size and weight. From zoos it is usually possible to get that information if just asking :)

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

About #1533: and the video linked by @Betty ... Very interesting. I believe that chinese zoos often exhibit Amur tigers - thus the biggest tiger subspecy - right ?
But I also think that the tiger's rear/hindquarter is weak, as it was laterally compressed. The lion's hindquarter is normal. Perhaps too this tiger is older than the lion. One of the main problem of the captive tigers in zoo is their sagging hindquarter.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-27-2019, 02:04 PM by paul cooper )

5 users Like paul cooper's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2019, 12:20 PM by Rishi )

UP Lucknow & Kanpur zoo asiatic (and/or hybrid) lions.

...lioness.
4 users Like Rishi's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Sabyasachi Ghosh

The king takes a stroll. Bengal Safari Park, Siliguri. March '19.

Hopefully someday there'll be a real wild tiger sighted strolling through forests of North Bengal.
7 users Like Rishi's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

2 users Like Rage2277's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-19-2019, 05:09 AM by Shadow )

This link includes article about death of siberian tiger Baikal which, even though not as heavy as some rumors claimed, still seemed to be decent sized male. Also a video where start of the last fight of Baikal can be seen is included and one photo where Baikal can be seen and also stripe patterns helping identifying it. At least one photo often claimed to have been about Baikal obviously isn´t it. I mean photo where older couple is near tiger cage looking at one tiger claimed to be Baikal. Pattern on head and overall looks just don´t fit when comparing to photos, which are confirmed to be real.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/high-school-students-saw-fatal-tiger-fight-at-winnipeg-zoo-1.2777940

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Shadow's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(06-19-2019, 04:31 AM)Shadow Wrote: This link includes article about death of siberian tiger Baikal which, even though not as heavy as some rumors claimed, still seemed to be decent sized male. Also a video where start of last fight of Baikal can be seen is included and one photo where Baikal can be seen and also stripe patterns helping identifying it. At least one photo often claimed to have been about Baikal obviously isn´t it. I mean photo where older couple is near tiger cage looking at one tiger claimed to be Baikal. Pattern on head and overall looks just don´t fit when comparing to photos, which are confirmed to be real.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/high-school-students-saw-fatal-tiger-fight-at-winnipeg-zoo-1.2777940

Just to clarify, this tiger here simply isn´t Baikal, which has been claimed to been 850 lbs tiger, but which in reality was clearly less based on available information from zoos, where it lived.

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes Shadow's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Amur meeting his cubs

Poland nobody Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-21-2019, 05:05 PM by nobody )

White tigress - it was a mistake for a lion
1 user Likes nobody's post