There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Zoos, Circuses, Safaris: A Gallery of Captivity

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

Interesting article about one "zoo". Old but entertaining, imo, worth reading if not seen this before.

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313816/The-polar-bear-lived-Tower--grumpy-lion-baboon-threw-cannon-balls-Britains-bizarre-zoo.html
2 users Like Shadow's post

Luxembourg Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

2 users Like Spalea's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

jaguarsintothewild

Behind every great woman there is a great man. You can see the differences like the size of the body and the size of the head, Link is a giant!. The spots and rosettes are also different but this is a genetic characteristic of every subject and it isn’t a sexual dimorphism. We are very sure that you recognize these jaguars only seeing them, but if you are new you should know that they are Zelda and Link!, some of the largest jaguars under our care!. ???
3 users Like Pckts's post

Luxembourg Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Still smaller than the tiger cubs...

1 user Likes Spalea's post

India Hello Offline

Hi I am Hello,I am new to this forum and love to know more about animals

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2024, 06:15 AM by Hello )

Brody I estimate him to be 215-225 kg

Next to generic pair

Very tall male lion Zamba,IMO 215 kg

From Lion and safari park,240-260 kg

3 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline

(12-28-2018, 12:25 AM)Amnon242 Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 08:30 AM)johnny rex Wrote: So, so far what's the biggest cat in terms of head/skull size, shoulder height, weight, etc. that you've observed personally @Amnon242 ?

Hi Johnny, interesting questions...so when it comes to the tallest cat, I would probably choose this barbary...and he has possibly the biggest head. On the other hand, the widest skull belongs to that slim (but also very tall and long) amur. The heaviest is probably that amur male standing next to female of average size. The male is estimated to be 300 kg. BTW when it comes to height, these tigers are very close to that lion...

Is that Barbary from olomouc zoo?,How old is he in that pic

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(08-27-2019, 12:16 PM)Hello Wrote: Hi I am Hello,I am new to this forum and love to know more about animals

Welcome to the forum!

India Hello Offline

(08-27-2019, 01:15 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(08-27-2019, 12:16 PM)Hello Wrote: Hi I am Hello,I am new to this forum and love to know more about animals

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the acceptance

India Hello Offline

0:17 giant

1 user Likes Hello's post

India Hello Offline

(01-20-2019, 02:26 AM)Amnon242 Wrote: as I said before, I estimate him to be around 250 kg. Perhaps  even more. Sorry for the bars...

He seems little bit overweight,Aslan from kristiansand park is weighted 260 kg and he is not fat or overweight.He must be a giant framed cat.

India Hello Offline

Giant framed cat without any ounce of fat,pure muscle (Aslan ,255-260 kg)

Compared to a vehicle

India Hello Offline

600 lbs verified

2 users Like Hello's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 08-29-2019, 09:42 AM by Rishi )

Can you change your username something more specific? @Hello is something very weird
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(08-27-2019, 01:34 PM)Hello Wrote: 0:17 giant

That video made me curious and I contacted Givskud zoo and asked if they can tell weight of this lion Nkosi and Tau. I got reply from biologist working there. He said, that both, Nkosi and Tau were very big males and he didn´t have shoulder height but both weighed about 250 kg. He didn´t have exact weights to share at the moment and he is now on short holiday.

Interesting part was, that when I replied to him and said that only fit captive lion which I could remember weighing 250 kg was (or is) Aslan from Kristianstad zoo in Norway, he replied that "Aslan is the son of Tau, so that makes sense". It seems that phrase "like father like son" was once again spot on. @Pantherinae  did you know about this? 

Anyway interesting to know now more. If seeing videos of these three lions, Aslan, Tau and Nkosi in Kristianstad zoo and Givskud zoo, then you can see what big lion look like. Even though that won´t help too much when seeing other lions alone somewhere...
1 user Likes Shadow's post