There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I was wondering about the whole 230kgs too, I would never call a 230kgs lion (with "food in their stomachs", he doesn't say if they were full or not) an average or below average lion like Rob did, I'd say the lion is quite big.

It's intriguing though, because he straight up says "I know they were weighed because I was there", would he make this up?

But I'm a bit confused, you're saying that they might be smaller than what Rob claimed, or bigger? If Dreads and Makulu were some 215kgs lions without stomach content it would be within what I personally estimated as a random person, which are pretty big lions, IMO any 200kgs cat is big, the average in most places isn't this high.

I also think like this: if Makulu is like higher than 230kgs, how heavy would be Hairy Belly who was clearly considerably larger? And how about Caesar Notch, was he even larger than HB or not? If we keep this up we're gonna end up with 300kgs lions which honestly sounds absurd, so Rob's claim seems logical to me, I just don't understand how he thinks 230kgs with stomach content is "average or below average".

PS: Nice photos!
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-28-2022, 04:51 AM)Mapokser Wrote: But I'm a bit confused, you're saying that they might be smaller than what Rob claimed, or bigger?
I assume that weight is true, I just same as you do not stand that interpretation that lion close to 230 kg is "avarage to below avarage' as Rob described Mapogos.

(03-28-2022, 04:51 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I also think like this: if Makulu is like higher than 230kgs, how heavy would be Hairy Belly who was clearly considerably larger? And how about Caesar Notch, was he even larger than HB or not? If we keep this up we're gonna end up with 300kgs lions which honestly sounds absurd, so Rob's claim seems logical to me, I just don't understand how he thinks 230kgs with stomach content is "average or below average".
Around 250 kg should be max for male lions in Kruger I believe.

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(03-28-2022, 12:34 PM)Potato Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 04:51 AM)Mapokser Wrote: But I'm a bit confused, you're saying that they might be smaller than what Rob claimed, or bigger?
I assume that weight is true, I just same as you do not stand that interpretation that lion close to 230 kg is "avarage to below avarage' as Rob described Mapogos.

(03-28-2022, 04:51 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I also think like this: if Makulu is like higher than 230kgs, how heavy would be Hairy Belly who was clearly considerably larger? And how about Caesar Notch, was he even larger than HB or not? If we keep this up we're gonna end up with 300kgs lions which honestly sounds absurd, so Rob's claim seems logical to me, I just don't understand how he thinks 230kgs with stomach content is "average or below average".

I believe Thornybusu measured BDM’s weight but I forgot what they got. I do believe he was at least 210 kg empty belly, which is around the same as RRM.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-28-2022, 05:13 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 12:34 PM)Potato Wrote:

I believe Thornybusu measured BDM’s weight but I forgot what they got. I do believe he was at least 210 kg empty belly, which is around the same as RRM.

I know nothink about it.
1 user Likes Potato's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-30-2022, 09:31 AM by 1999gc8 )

(10-30-2021, 02:49 PM)Enzoma Wrote: Hello fellow lion enthusiasts,

Like many of you on this thread, I am sure, I was truly fascinated when I first learned about the existence of the lion coalitions of the Sabi Sands. There is something about the way those social cats live their lives, a constant back and forth for control and survival, that spoke to me and inspired me to write a novel which I am now sharing with you.
The story is centered around the infamous Mapogo coalition and the idea is to tell the events of their lives as if seen from the point of view of the lions themselves. 

Since the Wildfact forum was instrumental in my research for source material, I wanted to thank you all for the huge amount of information that you that have posted here and let you know that, should you be interested in reading it, the ebook is going to be available for free on Amazon, starting tomorrow and until November 3rd. The title of the book is The Far Side of Grass: Tale of the Mapogo Lions

Admin, if this post is a violation of the Forum’s policy, feel free to delete.

I just finished reading the book today and thought it was fantastic.

Italy Gabriele Offline

I am heartbroken to think that Makulu, after an extraordinary but very hard life, since his youth, may have died torn to pieces by some other lion, while he was alone and weakened by old age. I hope for a peaceful end for him, as he looked peaceful in one of the last videos, while looking at the sky.
1 user Likes Gabriele's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-01-2022, 01:19 AM)Gabriele Wrote: I am heartbroken to think that Makulu, after an extraordinary but very hard life, since his youth, may have died torn to pieces by some other lion, while he was alone and weakened by old age. I hope for a peaceful end for him, as he looked peaceful in one of the last videos, while looking at the sky.

Since he was very old, lone and nomadic, he most likely finally died from hunger. He still hold impressively long, much longer than anyone could expect. Such old age for a Kruger male lion is hardly reachable even when a male has pride to provide him food.
5 users Like Potato's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

According to some, he may have died in the depths of the Kruger, in areas not covered by the guides, away from smartphones and videocam, for this reason the body was never found... Or even having found another companion, and a small pride in which to end up. his days serenely. It would be nice. The horrific end of Kinky Tail and the violent end of Mr T do not suit this extraordinary lion. Some say Mapogo were lions like others, only others weren't followed by a worldwide audience. Maybe. But I have never seen any lion who has had a history like Makulu's, who was accepted by another pride, who helped protect him without attempting to take him once he became an adult, as many overgrown children do, sometimes killing their fathers. , to then assume the leadership of the most famous coalition that man has recorded in history.
Maybe many coalitions have done like the Mapogos, but few lions have lived like Makulu.
3 users Like Gabriele's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-01-2022, 02:09 AM)Gabriele Wrote: According to some, he may have died in the depths of the Kruger, in areas not covered by the guides, away from smartphones and videocam, for this reason the body was never found... Or even having found another companion, and a small pride in which to end up. his days serenely. It would be nice. The horrific end of Kinky Tail and the violent end of Mr T do not suit this extraordinary lion. Some say Mapogo were lions like others, only others weren't followed by a worldwide audience. Maybe. But I have never seen any lion who has had a history like Makulu's, who was accepted by another pride, who helped protect him without attempting to take him once he became an adult, as many overgrown children do, sometimes killing their fathers. , to then assume the leadership of the most famous coalition that man has recorded in history.
Maybe many coalitions have done like the Mapogos, but few lions have lived like Makulu

Yea, its actually extraordinary that he was last of 6 Mapogos, when he was 2-3 yrs older then them. He was last seen in MalaMala, he was still in decent condition there, but was never seen after that, i think he went east into Kruger and there meet his fate. 

Mapogos where most followed lions in Kruger/Sabi Sands to that date (today because of social media, things are different and easier to follow lions), i would not say that they are like any other coalitions, they where definitely "special", because of their characters, very agressive males, neither coalition was giving so much trouble to other lion population in their area, from coalitions we know of. But theres many coalitions in Kruger today and in the past for who we dont know about anything besides few pictures and videos, some of them might and prob had same "special" threats as Mapogos had, but we just dont know about it.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

The young Styx male Lion was also part of the famous Mapogo saga

4 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Italy Gabriele Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 09:30 PM by Gabriele )

What were the differences in size (and weight) between Makulu, the big boss of the Mapogos, and Notch, the patriarch of his family?

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Rasta

Huge Beast.

credits  Willem Botha

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(04-01-2022, 09:29 PM)Gabriele Wrote: What were the differences in size (and weight) between Makulu, the big boss of the Mapogos, and Notch, the patriarch of his family?

I'm not entirely sure of Notch himself, but I'm confident all 5 of his sons were larger than Makulu.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

Rasta was sleep in that photo? A silly question maybe, but I ask.

Makhulu was a very large cat for the average size Kruger. Are the lions of the Masai Mara bigger on average?

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 07:22 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(04-03-2022, 06:34 AM)Gabriele Wrote: Rasta was sleep in that photo? A silly question maybe, but I ask.

Makhulu was a very large cat for the average size Kruger. Are the lions of the Masai Mara bigger on average?

Rasta was sedated in that pic, the reason is said to be for medical check up for TB porposes, I think hence why Rasta, Dreadlocks had that ´´S´´ sign stamped on their limbs.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post