There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-12-2021, 12:36 AM)Gijima Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 04:00 PM)Potato Wrote:
(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 2004 - dispersed from sparta pride
2005 - nomad life
I do not remember exactly. As far as I remember Mak, PB and Rasta left the natal pride some time ealier than rest.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 2006 - killed (or forced out) Nhlanguleni & took over Othawa and Ximhungwe pride?
They took over Othawa and Sand River prides. Ximhungwe pride was avoiding Mapogos untill 2009.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 2007- killed Tsalala Pride male "rocky" and took Tsalala pride
They killed Tsalala pride dominant male and pride's cubs, but did not mated with females untill 2008 when they split and Estern MApogos mated with Tsalala females.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Travelled north, killed Blondie and took over Nkuhuma pride
They tookover part of Nkuchuma pride and the other part ran away to Manyeleti with other Nkuchuma male - Dozie

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: and styx
 Mapogos did not manage to take over Styx pride. THey did not manage to hunt down and kill Styx pride and the pride therefore was avoiding Mapogos. Those females of the pride which did not have cubs were mating with Estern Mapogos in 2009-2010.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 2012 - Mr T killed, Mak and PB fled into Kruger
Mak and PB fled to Sabi Sabi. Only few months later they headed into Kruger.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Also what year was each pride lost?
Nkuchuma pride in 2009 to Gijima males, Tsalala, Sparta and Styx to MAjingis in 2012 and Othawa and Ximunghwe in 2012 to Salatis.
Which part of the Nkuhuma Pride did they take over? I’m pretty sure the Nkuhumas weren’t even around and Blondie was killed only in Dec 2007:

“In December of 2007, one of the dominant males, Blondie, was killed by the Mapogo male lions. Attacks on the remaining pride and cubs during the first half of 2008 devastated our pride. Many cubs fell victim to the attacks as did some of the adult lionesses too. The pride took refuge back up North and became splintered.”
Some members of the Nkuchuma pride were still moving around Djuma after Blondie's death. There is not enough source around to make it clear I think. It is possible that Mapogos only took over teritory around Djuma and did not manage to take any part of Nkuchuma pride, but I believe they had to have some sort of control over part of that pride. Sadly there is very little WildEarth videos available from 2008 and 2009. There is quite a few tho shoing that some Nkuchumas were still present in Djuma in 2009. There wasn't any tho of Nkuchumas being together with Mapogos or at least I could not find it.
2 users Like Potato's post

Mohawk4 Offline

(06-06-2021, 04:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 04:03 PM)Psyckoo Wrote: I just was reading again the topic and saw that Gjima males was included in the list of males who Mapogo defeated.. Any report of that ?

Thats not true, in fact 2 Gijima males where the reason why Mapogos abandon northern Sabi Sands and Nkuhumas in 2009 and had a clash with Mr T and KT, then Gijima males establish themselves there and Mapogos didn't return that far north ever again..

#tbt
Beautiful tall males esp the one has a big mane

13:18   "Gijima calling chalenging Mapogo but Mapogo were keep silent they didnt call back"
6 users Like Mohawk4's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-15-2021, 04:59 AM)Mohawk4 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 04:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 04:03 PM)Psyckoo Wrote: I just was reading again the topic and saw that Gjima males was included in the list of males who Mapogo defeated.. Any report of that ?

Thats not true, in fact 2 Gijima males where the reason why Mapogos abandon northern Sabi Sands and Nkuhumas in 2009 and had a clash with Mr T and KT, then Gijima males establish themselves there and Mapogos didn't return that far north ever again..

#tbt
Beautiful tall males esp the one has a big mane

13:18   "Gijima calling chalenging Mapogo but Mapogo were keep silent they didnt call back"

Wow, awesome find @Mohawk4 , that's some good stuff!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Who were the coalition of four that fought the mapogos in 2006?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-16-2021, 11:22 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Who were the coalition of four that fought the mapogos in 2006?

I have no idea actually what coalition of 4 there is talk about in the documentry.

Gijima Offline

(07-12-2021, 08:01 PM)Potato Wrote:
2005 - nomad life
I do not remember exactly. As far as I remember Mak, PB and Rasta left the natal pride some time ealier than rest.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 2006 - killed (or forced out) Nhlanguleni & took over Othawa and Ximhungwe pride?
They took over Othawa and Sand River prides. Ximhungwe pride was avoiding Mapogos untill 2009.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 2007- killed Tsalala Pride male "rocky" and took Tsalala pride
They killed Tsalala pride dominant male and pride's cubs, but did not mated with females untill 2008 when they split and Estern MApogos mated with Tsalala females.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Travelled north, killed Blondie and took over Nkuhuma pride
They tookover part of Nkuchuma pride and the other part ran away to Manyeleti with other Nkuchuma male - Dozie

Mapogos did not manage to take over Styx pride. THey did not manage to hunt down and kill Styx pride and the pride therefore was avoiding Mapogos. Those females of the pride which did not have cubs were mating with Estern Mapogos in 2009-2010.

(07-11-2021, 03:43 PM)Tonpa Wrote: 2012 - Mr T killed, Mak and PB fled into Kruger

Nkuchuma pride in 2009 to Gijima males, Tsalala, Sparta and Styx to MAjingis in 2012 and Othawa and Ximunghwe in 2012 to Salatis.
Which part of the Nkuhuma Pride did they take over? I’m pretty sure the Nkuhumas weren’t even around and Blondie was killed only in Dec 2007:

“In December of 2007, one of the dominant males, Blondie, was killed by the Mapogo male lions. Attacks on the remaining pride and cubs during the first half of 2008 devastated our pride. Many cubs fell victim to the attacks as did some of the adult lionesses too. The pride took refuge back up North and became splintered.”
Some members of the Nkuchuma pride were still moving around Djuma after Blondie's death. There is not enough source around to make it clear I think. It is possible that Mapogos only took over teritory around Djuma and did not manage to take any part of Nkuchuma pride, but I believe they had to have some sort of control over part of that pride. Sadly there is very little WildEarth videos available from 2008 and 2009. There is quite a few tho shoing that some Nkuchumas were still present in Djuma in 2009. There wasn't any tho of Nkuchumas being together with Mapogos or at least I could not find it.

The lack of sightings plus the reports from rangers made me believe it was never proper takeover. When the Gijima males, Matimas etc were later seen you can see that they were clearly the dominate males.

What prides did the MrT and Kinky tail control on their own in the east?
2 users Like Gijima's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-19-2021, 09:04 AM)Gijima Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 08:01 PM)Potato Wrote:
2005 - nomad life

The lack of sightings plus the reports from rangers made me believe it was never proper takeover. When the Gijima males, Matimas etc were later seen you can see that they were clearly the dominate males.

What prides did the MrT and Kinky tail control on their own in the east?
They had TSalala pride and party Sparta and Styx prides ( some lionesses of the pride already had sub adults and were avoiding Mapogos, some lionesses were mating with Mapogos) and in question some part of Nkuchuma pride.

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

MAPOGO MALES
FEBRUARY 03, 2011
(GREG.COATES REPORT)

http://www.mrtmapogo.com/2021/07/20/mapogo-males-february-03-2011-g-coates-report/
3 users Like fursan syed's post

Peru LeoWarrior Offline
New Join

(10-18-2016, 10:14 PM)Pckts Wrote: The Mapogos - Lions of Sabi Sand
What else can we say about the Killer Mapogos?
(Willem Botha & rangers during a medical examination of
*This image is copyright of its original author
? Makhulu)
"During the time that I was Head of Anti Poaching in the Sabi Sands and did problem animal control in the entire reserve, I counted more than 100 other lions killed by the Mapogo’s. I myself had to shoot 13 lions who’s backs were broken by the Mapogos and left to die a horrible death. One such lion had to be shot in Exeter River Lodge camp as he was lying on the footpath leading to a guest room.
Myself and Dr Jonathan Swart was probably the first in the Western Sector to encounter the Mapogo’s as we walked into them one evening when we were tracking pangolin armed with nothing but tourches and a telemitry.
I witnessed the Mapogo’s kill a female on Singita near Exeter Portion 5 after she was thought not to be submissive enough to the Mapogo’s. Once she was killed, one of the Mapogo’s mated with her and then they started feeding on her. This was also witnessed by Ds Jurgens De Jager from the NG Church i White River as him and his daughter accompanied me that evening.
I also witnessed the Mapogo’s kill an entire pride of lions on Picanini Utha. I can not remember howmany lions were in the pride. They went out to kill the cubs but the females tried to protect the cubs and they were killed as well.
On more than one occassion the Sand River Pride were driven out of the Sabi Sands by the Mapogo’s. 5 Were shot in April 2006 and the rest of the Sand River Pride were shot in January 2009 after they were driven out by the Mapogos and started feeding on cattle in Dumphries Village.
The Mapogos brought me many hours of joy as they were great males.
I was lucky to be able to dart all of them and to inoculate them against Rabies when there was an outbreak of the disease in and arround the Sabi Sands from November 2007 to May 2009.
Andrew Schoeman made a great video of the Mapogo’s intimidating a Hippo untill it got out of the water at Othawa Causeway where they caught it.
They also caught a Rhino near Robsons dam.
They may be gone but their memories live on!"
by Willem Botha

2 users Like LeoWarrior's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

Mapogo Report
March 16th 2012
by Greg Coates

http://www.mrtmapogo.com/2021/07/30/mapogo-lions-report-march-16-2012-greg-coates/

Super Moderator

Really good video about Big Mak. Look how young Kinky Tail was, and how full and dark Mak's mane was at that young age. To me, at least in this video, PB was the second most impressive of the rest of the boys in those early days, but man was Mak an absolute tank of a male.

9 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

Don't even get me started on snaring, or trapping of any sort, of any animal. Certainly not something I can discuss in a public forum. Some video of Mapogo sons with the Ximungwe and what became of them.

5 users Like BA0701's post

Big Cats Enthusiast

MAPOGO ARCHIVES

FIRST TIME UPLOAD REPORT
BY SAVANNA LODGE

FEBRUARY 2006

One of the most outstanding experiences that the guests had was with 6 new male lions that have moved into our area and neighbouring properties. These males cause huge dissension within the lion ranks where ever they go. These males, we presume, have come in from Kruger and are at this stage nomadic, looking for a territory to take over. It is unusual to have this many male lions forming a coalition and if they do take over this area, we are sure that their territory will be huge.

During first reconnaissance into our area, they met up with the Ottawa Pride, consisting of the old male in the North, 2 females and 6 cubs. The old male put his tail between his legs and is probably crossing into Mozambique by now! However, we were witness to the 6 males meeting with the females and cubs of this pride. The males chased the cubs and the females through some fairly thick bush and a lot of fighting took place in front of the Land Rover. Due to the wet terrain, we were unable to follow their pursuit of the cubs so we are not sure if any were killed. It seems that these 6 have had a run-in with the Ravenscourt Pride as well and one cub from that pride is missing. We will keep you informed as to any further action.

The last female in the Ximungwe Pride has now produced cubs and brought them out for us to see. They are approximately 4 ˝ months old now and have adapted to the game viewing vehicles extremely well. There are 3 of them and have been viewed on an impala kill with their mother. Although looking like adorable little bundles of fur, they are still fairly viciously fighting for their portion.

http://www.mrtmapogo.com/2021/08/29/mapogo-lions-report-february-2006-by-savanna-lodge/

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The fiercest ever! Mr.T in newly published photos for the first time taken by Suricate 

7 users Like lionuk's post

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

THE MIGHTY MOPOGOS COALITION-
DETAILS ABOUT THEM-

The Mapogo lion coalition was a band of male South African lions that controlled the Sabi Sand region in Kruger National Park. The coalition became infamous for their sheer power and strength in taking over and dominating an area of approximately 70,000 ha. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlLdjBZnNbD/...099426C597

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlaqJRYHo30/...46C7017B85

https://images.app.goo.gl/TvogZv9JgJapsnyC8
5 users Like BIGCATSXPERT's post