There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2015, 11:06 PM by sanjay )

Here's the documentary:

3 users Like peter's post

Greece Jack-T Offline

Before talking about the extra bonds between them , a little adding to their names.

When Kinky Tail and MrT splitted from the other Mapogos , and wend to the East( at 2009) , they were mentioned there as Mlowathi males.

The bonds between them.

Its obvious that there was an extra bond between the twins (Rasta and Pretty Boy).
The same was between the two youngest. And this bond strengthened after their split.

After Dreadlock disappeared , maybe there was an extra bond between Makulu and MrT.
The last couple of months , before Mr.T’s death , Makulu and MrT were patrolling together , without Preety Boy.

Of course , after they were only two left , the bond between them was very strong.
Preetty Boy  was looking totally lost without MaKulu.

Here is an epic pic of Preety Boy , looking for Makulu, when (summer 2012) ,  he (Makulu) had disappeared for a month (or so).

Has anybody seen Makulu ?
2 users Like Jack-T's post

Greece Jack-T Offline

Dreadlocks disappears.

November of 2010 , Dreadlocks  disappears.
Many rumors about what happened.
Some say other animals , some say poachers, some say trophy hunters  , and some say crocs.

I leave the crocs option separated from other animals.
Of course crocs are an option for every lion’s disappearance.

There had been a lot rumor  about one of the that have been killed by o croc.
So that option would be convenient. It was also convenient , because if a lion is killed by a croc , there was nothing to be left , or to be found.

Here is what someone had written about the Mapogos.

“Aparantly, two weeks ago the Mapogo Males were drinking from the Sand river in Londolozi Game Reserve when a crocodile attacked and killed one of them at the waters edge. This is a rather rare occurrence, but it does happen and it did happen to one of or Mapogo's. So we are down to 5 males, maybe 4

Here is the link :

http://blog.wildearth.tv/2007/10/story-behind-mapogo-males.html

It is useful to notice the date of the article. Its 27/10/2007 !.
No crocs yet , but the rumors were all around. Ready to been adopted.

To some because they mistaken Mapogos with the one of RollerCoaster males , that said that had been killed by a croc.
To some others , because it was a convenient option.

Its obvious that the “poacher” option  is easy to be mentioned by a person who lives on another place, or another continent , but not so easy to whom who lives and works there.

After all , there is an anti-poaching unit there  , and if someone mentions (or admits) the poacher option , means that someones do not do their job.

Here are 2 links that may help you find out what happened and make up your own opinion.

Dreadlocks-1

and

Dreadlocks-2

I’d like to point out that post:

A statement of Willem Botha just a few moments ago: "Everybody blame and critisise te white people in the photo who was involved in the shooting of the lions. The big culprits are the three chiefs of Dumphries village who insisted thatc he lions should be distroyed after eating their cattle. We attempted to bait and dart the lions and take them back to the Sabi Sands but members of the local population on instruction of the chiefs chaded the lions away from the bait. They also threatened members of the Sabi Sands and MTPA with violence should we attempt to dart the lions. At one stage we wanted to leave the area the but were blocked by the local population and were told that we could not leave before the lions were destroyed. That was when a group of huntets with their dogs from Lydenburg was called to assist the authorities. Dreadlocks also left the reserve in the north of the reserve at the Kokovelo river where he on various occasions left the reserve to seek easy prey in the community outside the reserve. There he was caught in a snare which was set near a carcass of a cow which he caught the previous night." After he was asked if that means that Dreadlocks was killed by the local population here is his answer: "Yes. As was many other animals that left the reserve." Now, after years we know the truth how Dreadlocks died!

That is on the 2nd link.

Have a nice day.

Regards.
5 users Like Jack-T's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

@Jack-T, Wonderful, you added lot of missing links and dig a deeper in Mapogos story, Great Like
2 users Like sanjay's post

Greece Jack-T Offline

The end starts.

Let’s go back to 22 Feb 2012.
Some new males are there. Mapogos do know it.
Yes they are old lions , but not fool  ones.
I fight exists.
It ends with PB injured , but surviving (he was good at that, he had done it before).

They have already mated with lionesses from both prides Mapogos dominate.The didn't get badly injured last night, I don't think they got the message as to who they dealing with here. They were reluctant to leave the area this morning. A battle between two coalitions of lions normally end with one group losing life or running away very fast. This morning's deadly fight ended with both groups just walking away. Mapogo roaring " Don't you dare come in here again" The southern males walking away saying " Don't you think this is over yet"

Here is the link

Mapogos120223-1

The end happens.

Now both sides prepare the next fight.
And the end its about to come.

And it comes at 16/03/2012.
That’s the day that MrT dies.

That’s the day that the 2 remaining Mapogos become nomads.
That’s the day that a new era begins  etc .. etc ... etc …
That was not … definty NOT a date that the Salatis cought MrT alone.
He was not such as a lone caw , somehow , grazing , and cought alone.

He was an animal preparing  himself to fight.
And fought.

Just take a look what Khimbini Hlongwane said.

i try to answer without too much disturbing details: I only got see the end of the fight,his spine was broken and penis removed before I got there. He did still put up a good fight. Now this is what those that saw the beginning explain: (apparently)The two group approached each other Mr T leading the Mapogo group by few steps ahead, he looked back the two brothers were slowing down the approaching speed he bravely went on approaching when the southern males came in full force the two brother run away, he stood fought to his end. The southern male did all that they had to do as male lion and left him in the state you see him in this picture.(bleeding from every part of body except the head and he cant move)

So ... He really fought.

Against the ods.
Against the gods.
Against the numbers.
Against the Mapogo’s fans.
Against everyone one who said that will be flee.
So … he was not caught alone … he  had to fight alone (once again).

Allow me plz to believe  that it ought  been clarified.

Too much effort to what ?

Its not going to be that way ...
7 users Like Jack-T's post

Greece Jack-T Offline

Forgot the links

MrTEnd-1

Also , you might feel better reading this :

From a purely medical standpoint - it's highly unlikely that he was in pain. Once the spine is broken that cuts off nerve endings to the back of the body, plus the amount of adrenalin flooding the system keeps pain at bay, plus loss of blood dulls the senses. I would like to think that at this stage he was floating on a cloud and welcoming the sensation of peace. RIP buddy.

(on the same Link)
6 users Like Jack-T's post

Greece Jack-T Offline

(10-16-2015, 09:56 AM)sanjay Wrote: @Jack-T, Wonderful, you added lot of missing links and dig a deeper in Mapogos story, Great Like

Thank you sanjay.
1 user Likes Jack-T's post

Georgia Gabrieli Offline

GR8 Male MR.T
1 user Likes Gabrieli's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Mr T was indeed one of the greatest male lion personality that ever lived.
3 users Like Roflcopters's post

Georgia Gabrieli Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2015, 07:22 PM by Tshokwane )

(05-06-2015, 06:13 AM)Majingilane  i think Makulu and Dreadlocks made big mistake that they left  brother  in determined  fight with Selati Male\s  .... and result was dead MR T. it was big mistacke..it was END OF MAPOGOS. yes i know they were older, about 12 and 14 year Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author
Majingilane guys, can you tell me, Mapogo's left a seed somewhere? There are no survivors cub from them?

1 user Likes Gabrieli's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

@Gabrieli
The answer to the first question is a bit complicated. The very fact that they were very much older than Mr.T plays a great part. To add to that, Pretty Boy had been hurt just some days earlier, he was in a terrible shape.

So, imagine an old lion carrying wounds like that. He wasn't in shape to fight, least of all against younger and healthier males. The same goes for Old Mak, that was 14 years old, an ancient lion.
Mr.T was 10 years old, so he still had the drive and strenght to try to defend his land. I'm not all sure of what happened, there are mixed versions about it, but what is sure is that neither of his brothers were had any fault for leaving him.

Now, on the the other question, about the offsprings alive of the Mapogos, the three adult females from the Othawa pride 

and the four lionesses of the Mhangeni pride are daughters of the Mapogo. 

About males, there are two males from the Othawa pride that survived and went into the Kruger park, I don't know much about them.

I hope this answers your questions.
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Georgia Gabrieli Offline

thank you for gr8 information
2 users Like Gabrieli's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-04-2015, 04:52 AM by Tshokwane )

The Mapogos - Lions of Sabi Sand:
brother dispute....pretty boy -vs- kinky tail

"Not the greatest photo but it was an awesome sighting, watched the mapogo kill an impala, which between 4 mapogo didnt last very long they all got their tiny piece, but once Pretty boy had finished his he went for Kinky tails share....Kinky tail was not giving up his piece...eventually and as can be seen in the picture PB used his body weight to try get KT to submitand lay on top of KT who clearly began to take straight judging by wheezy breaths but he did not give up and even started chewing on the meat while being crushed, it was comical to watch yet at the same time a disdplay of raw power"
by g.mc call-peat

the legendary shaka stare

"One of my all time favs....Kinky tail mapogo staring straight at me"
by g.mc call-peat

"One of the most incredible sightings I have ever had, the Mapogo killed an impala right in front of the car and then proceeded to fight with eachother over the very small amount of meat."
by g.mc call-peat

2 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Counter Offline
Banned

Yeah the Mapogos are pretty sick, some seriously vicious lions.  An eyewitness has seen them kill an entire pride at once, and as well killing over 100 different lions.  
Lions it seems are hard wired to take over as much land, as many prides, territory and kill as many lions that stand in their way.  Definitely an unusual cat to say the least. 

Willem Botha
APRIL 26, 2012

During the time that I was Head of Anti Poaching in the Sabi Sands and did problem animal control in the entire reserve, I counted more than 100 other lions killed by the Mapogo’s. I myself had to shoot 13 lions who’s backs were broken by the Mapogos and left to die a horrible death. One such lion had to be shot in Exeter River Lodge camp as he was lying on the footpath leading to a guest room.

http://www.sunsafaris.com/blog/2012/04/h...t-thomson/
2 users Like Counter's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(12-04-2015, 07:08 AM)Counter Wrote: Yeah the Mapogos are pretty sick, some seriously vicious lions.  An eyewitness has seen them kill an entire pride at once, and as well killing over 100 different lions.  
Lions it seems are hard wired to take over as much land, as many prides, territory and kill as many lions that stand in their way.  Definitely an unusual cat to say the least. 

Willem Botha
APRIL 26, 2012

During the time that I was Head of Anti Poaching in the Sabi Sands and did problem animal control in the entire reserve, I counted more than 100 other lions killed by the Mapogo’s. I myself had to shoot 13 lions who’s backs were broken by the Mapogos and left to die a horrible death. One such lion had to be shot in Exeter River Lodge camp as he was lying on the footpath leading to a guest room.

http://www.sunsafaris.com/blog/2012/04/h...t-thomson/

"I witnessed the Mapogo’s kill a female on Singita near Exeter Portion 5 after she was thought not to be sumissive enough to the Mapogo’s. Once she was killed, one of the Mapogo’s mated with her and then they started feeding on her. This was also witnessed by Ds Jurgens De Jager from the NG Church i White River as him and his daughter accompanied me that evening.

I also witnessed the Mapogo’s kill an entire pride of lions on Picanini Utha. I can not remember howmany lions were in the pride. They went out to kill the cubs but the females tried to protect the cubs and they were killed as well."

It seems as though they never learned to "play nice" with the females. Some males seem to be more aggressive towards females while others seem to really give them the benefit of the doubt and let them get away with quite a bit, even being submissive at times. I wonder if it comes down to a sort of "upbringing" like you see in humans.

An alcoholic parent tends to breed an alcoholic offspring, an abusive parent tends to breed an abusive offspring etc.
Of course this is not always the case, but its usually more often the case than the other way around.
Makes me wonder if the equivalent of a "healthy lion home" may lead to a more secure lion compared to a "chaotic lion home" (one with violent and ever changing pride males etc) may lead to a lion with more of a "chip on their shoulder,"  so to speak.
3 users Like Pckts's post