There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
The Mighty Mapogos

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

Rob Vamplew : The Ximhungwe pride of lions with Mapogo Lion Coalition member Pretty Boy seen around a buffalo they had caught. The lion cubs were playful as usual and some of the lions were feeding.

Dated : Early 2012

3 users Like fursan syed's post

239Pu Offline
5 users Like 239Pu's post

Romania AbcXyz Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 02-10-2020, 01:40 AM by AbcXyz )

On March 16, 2012, Mr. T Mapogo was killed by four male lions known as the Selatis. It is well known that the fight was witnessed by many rangers and field guides, and it is also known that all these guys, with a single notable exception (two Ulusaba rangers), arrived at the fighting place after Mr. T was attacked and mauled by three of the Selatis.

So far, so good.

But some of these rangers and field guides started then to invent stories about the other two Mapogos who were not there to fight. One said that the two groups approached each other and suddenly the two older Mapogos ran (this is the most ridiculous story among all!), other said that they ran because Pretty Boy Mapogo wasn't in the condition to fight, others said they just ran away.

Social media (especially the vocal Mr. T fanatics) took these stories for granted, neglecting the significant detail that none of these guys really saw what they said.

I post the testimony of Craig Parsons from Exeter, who was present at the fighting place, and provided valuable information about the three Mapogos during the previous day(s).

The last battle!

For the last two weeks we've had these four new male lions slowly coming into our area and sniffing around and seeing if this area has any male lions and how many of them there are on the property. They started walking up and down our Eastern boundary and then in the last week they went pretty much to our western boundary but on the Northern side of the Sand River for one day. The next morning they were around River Lodge and we noticed them starting to mark their territory for the first time and they proceeded to move further into our area. From that day we knew there was trouble on the way for our remaining three male lions.

For the last four days our three dominant males were stuffing their faces with a buffalo while these four males were encroaching slowly on their territory. Yesterday morning the three males had finished their buffalo feast and the other guides said that there was only Hyena and vultures left there and didn't know where the males had gone, but one guide found tracks of two of the males crossing our boundary.

Not long after that another guide said he heard lions roaring somewhere in the West of our property and said they're going to look for them. He eventually found them and said that it looked like the new Southern males because he saw them from a distance. When he got closer he said that there were these four new males and one of our dominant males there. When I got there they had already fought a couple of times and I also got to witness a couple battles and I know it's nature and it's been happening for thousands of years, it still was very sad to watch four against one.

I know you are all asking where was his brothers were to help him. I and everyone else had no idea where the other two were and we're still baffled on how the one got separated from his brothers when all three were on the buffalo kill they had, and where the kill was and where the fight happened was far from where the kill was, in-fact it was far West of the kill. Only they will know what happened. Unfortunately the male did die from his injuries, well I guess it was fortunately because his back was broken, his scrotum was bitten off (sorry to put that in) and I'm sure lost alot of blood and energy trying to fight for his life. Well he definitely didn't just lie down and take it he fought for his territory and brothers. MAY HE R.I.P..........

Posted: Exeter Lodges by Craig Parsons, Date: 17 March 2012

In my opinion, the highlighted text suggests that the Mapogos split in 1 + 2 after leaving the buffalo kill. I don't know if this is true or not, but one thing is certain: no one knows what really happened with the other two Mapogos on that day!
2 users Like AbcXyz's post

239Pu Offline

Mapogo Lion Coalition After Clashing With The Selatis
On the 23rd of February 2012 the Mapogo Coalition of lions clashed with the Selati Coalition of lions whilst feeding. The Mapogo known as Pretty Boy bore the brunt of the attack it seems and can be seen here with bite marks to the back and back legs, the other two Mapogo had little to no visible inuries. Less than 48 hours later, on the 25th February the wounds were healing well as can be seen at the end of the clip.
Filmed in the Sabi Sand Wildtuin, Greater Kruger National Park, South Africa
3 users Like 239Pu's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-22-2020, 10:38 PM)Spalea Wrote: big_on_wild

The beautiful kinky tail

It is not Kinky Tail Mapogo, but other lion having the same name.
2 users Like Potato's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Potato :

About #1717: Yes you're right, sorry

United Kingdom Andyhis Offline
New Join

hope so very sad that authorities killed the sand river males that could have kept the male line going. Not sure if mapogos  would have tolerated them in sabisands though so nomadic period would have been tough for them and they might have had to venture into knp also. 

United Kingdom Andyhis Offline
New Join
( This post was last modified: 03-04-2020, 02:46 PM by Rishi )

(04-30-2018, 05:23 PM)OTshokwane Wrote: Credits to Greg Coates.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

The lodge has been so busy over the last few months that I literally have not had a chance to blog! The sightings have however remained amazing as always and here is a brief summary of the predator viewing since Feb. 

Probably the headline news is the four young Southern Pride males (now known as the Selati Males) taking over from the three old Mapogo’s. The Selati brothers had been exploring Mapogo territory for a few months but had always retreated at the sign of a confrontation. One night in March however the Selati Males came across the Mapogo’s on a buffalo kill in front of the lodge and split the older males up. Sataan was separated and the Selati males chased him for many kilometres before catching him and viciously attacking him (video). Sataan eventually died of his wounds and the two remaining Mapogo’s, Makhulu and Skoro, have been roaming nomadically to our east ever since.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Sounds a plausible to explain start of conflict between Mr T and 4 selatis. Sad to see and end to a great coalition. And sad also to see man’s influence in these great animals such as the killing of dreadlocks and of their 5 sons the sand river males. Also more generally the loss of habitat to man and their lack of tolerance for these animals as can be seen when they venture outside of the park through no fault of their own. Also what is everyone’s views on conspiracies regarding Kinky tails and rastas death. On reflection it seems plausible either way that kt and Mr T could have been split up when confronting majingalane males or darting is plausible. Same for rastas death either fighting majingalane or was poached . Would like to think former as it’s a reserve and would hope their is no human interference other than fence which in itself can be restrictive by not allowing free movement of predators and prey.
1 user Likes Andyhis's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"hope so very sad that authorities killed the sand river males that could have kept the male line going."

Females are passing genes as much as males and Mapogos blodline lives on. There are also 2 Othawa boys which went into Kruger and possibly could sire some cubs there.

"[i]Sad to see and end to a great coalition[/i]

[i]Anyone has his time. Noone can be young forever . Any coalition will sooner or later be repleaced by younger, stronger one.[/i]

[i]"And sad also to see man’s influence in these great animals such as the killing of dreadlocks and of their 5 sons the sand river males"[/i]

[i]Poaching ofcource is disgusting.[/i]

[i]"Also what is everyone’s views on conspiracies regarding Kinky tails"[/i]

[i]Darting KT is stupid theory.[/i]

[i] " Same for rastas death either fighting majingalane or was poached"[/i]

[i]Most likely there was a confrontation between Mapogos and Majingilanes, possibly 4vs2. By the time Rasta disapeared, Pretty Boy was carrying some ugly wounds on his back  so Rasta being killed by Majings seems to be likely option, but we will never know that for sure. It will be forever a mistery.[/i]
1 user Likes Potato's post

239Pu Offline

does anyone know where to see the Mapogo documentary ?

BigLion39 Offline

@239Pu....

On youtube, theres a 9 part documentary about the Pogo's. When I get a chance I'll head over and link up one of the parts and post it up here. Then you can probably follow it along.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(03-06-2020, 02:29 AM)239Pu Wrote: does anyone know where to see the Mapogo documentary ?

Not sure, unlike most other documentary it's not available on any of your regular streaming services. Frankly, if you spend enough time watching lion clips on YouTube you will probably cover most of the actual film (a good portion of it is assembled from amateur clips and sometimes the lions in there aren't even Mapogos.) Google may provide you with some pointers as to where you can find the documentary.

On a related note, I really miss the Big Cat Diary. I wish we had more programs like that.
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

United States clickNclack Offline
New Join

(03-06-2020, 02:29 AM)239Pu Wrote: does anyone know where to see the Mapogo documentary ?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1734580160176791  Not the greatest quality but should suffice.
2 users Like clickNclack's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Othawa male lions in july 2011, about one month before being ousted by dominant Mapogo males

From Savanna blog:
"The Ottawa pride has also stayed in the north and has been seen a few times. It is good to see all six of the remaining members sticking together, and the young males, now nearly three years old, are starting to look really good!"

1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-13-2020, 08:30 PM)Potato Wrote: Othawa male lions in july 2011, about one month before being ousted by dominant Mapogo males

From Savanna blog:
"The Ottawa pride has also stayed in the north and has been seen a few times. It is good to see all six of the remaining members sticking together, and the young males, now nearly three years old, are starting to look really good!"

Rly wanna know what happen to this 2 boys. I've read that there was speculation that they where seen in 2015 in Lukimbi Safari lodge (far south in Kruger) mating with some females.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post