There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
The Java Tiger (Panthera tigris sondaica)

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 01:30 PM by phatio )

very rare footage of Andries Hoogerwerf javan rhino expedition in ujung kulon west java. this is the place where he took the famous wild javan tiger photo, the only one wild javan tiger photographed alive. @peter I think you might like this.

Ujung Kulon National Park today.
this is a very very great video, no music, no people talking, no made up naration just pure nature with it's magic. a glimpse of ancient jungle i would say. enjoy it

the head of wild rhino coming out from the jungle at 08:05 is something to see.
FYI most of the video took place near the beach or swamp area, so without proper research/survey we can only imagine what kind of animals living in thick rain forest jungle today.
7 users Like phatio's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2020, 10:52 PM by peter )

(04-03-2020, 01:20 PM)phatio Wrote: very rare footage of Andries Hoogerwerf javan rhino expedition in ujung kulon west java. this is the place where he took the famous wild javan tiger photo, the only one wild javan tiger photographed alive. @peter I think you might like this.

Ujung Kulon National Park today.
this is a very very great video, no music, no people talking, no made up naration just pure nature with it's magic. a glimpse of ancient jungle i would say. enjoy it

the head of wild rhino coming out from the jungle at 08:05 is something to see.
FYI most of the video took place near the beach or swamp area, so without proper research/survey we can only imagine what kind of animals living in thick rain forest jungle today.

PHATIO

Many thanks for posting this unique documentary! I had no idea Hoogerwerf had recorded wild Javan rhinos. 

A few decades ago, Dr. P. van Bree adviced me to contact Hoogerwerf. I did and learned he had died quite some time ago. Nobody knew. A great pity, as he could have showed me things one can only dream of. 

The former Dutch East Indies, also known as the 'Rijk of Insulinde' over here, always fascinated me. My father, a sailor, told me a lot about this faraway paradise. When young, I met quite a few people born and bred in Indonesia. They, in fact, lived in the same street. Some of them were Dutch, but others were from Java. I'm not referring to former KNIL-soldiers (from Ambon), but Javan families. Some of them really knew about tigers and had both skins and skulls.

There has to be a lot more about tigers in both The Netherlands and Indonesia. It's close and then it isn't. Although books about that period are still published quite often, old books are few and far between.  

I recently found a bookstore specialized on the former East Indies. I ordered everything they had on tigers, but the owner said he never heard about magazins. There are there, but it's hard to find. A few years ago, a museum (the 'Tropenmuseum') sold most of what they had on the former East Indies (and they had a lot). They had to in order to survive. A great pity. 

When I have time, I'll do a series on Bali, Java and Sumatran tigers. It will have new information I found in old books, including photographs and a few tables.
6 users Like peter's post

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

(04-03-2020, 10:48 PM)peter Wrote: The former Dutch East Indies, also known as the 'Rijk of Insulinde' over here, always fascinated me. My father, a sailor, told me a lot about this faraway paradise. When young, I met quite a few people born and bred in Indonesia. They, in fact, lived in the same street. Some of them were Dutch, but others were from Java. I'm not referring to former KNIL-soldiers (from Ambon), but Javan families. Some of them really knew about tigers and had both skins and skulls.

that would be awesome to see some of those skins in order to study their stripes pattern peter

(04-03-2020, 10:48 PM)peter Wrote: There has to be a lot more about tigers in both The Netherlands and Indonesia. It's close and then it isn't. Although books about that period are still published quite often, old books are few and far between.  
i'd do my best to find anything here in indonesia, and I would appreciate it if you do the same in your country

(04-03-2020, 10:48 PM)peter Wrote:  When I have time, I'll do a series on Bali, Java and Sumatran tigers. It will have new information I found in old books, including photographs and a few tables.
can't wait to see genuine photos and tables of javan tigers, you know considering nowadays hoaxes is widely spread in our society

anyway here's video of Forrest Galante javan tiger expedition that i'm talking about.

tell me what you thought about that "unknown mammal"?
4 users Like phatio's post

Indonesia P.T.Sondaica Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-15-2020, 01:21 PM by P.T.Sondaica )

@phatio in your post pic of head of tiger in  floor that is not Javan Tiger shot in 1992..thats a bengal Tiger..that pic in this forum from 2018..bengal Tiger..please selective info in social media now..
1 user Likes P.T.Sondaica's post

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Would it be fair to say that Javan tigers were conclusively larger than jaguars? Sumatran tigers are borderline in this sense but Javan’s were slightly bigger than Sumatran
1 user Likes Richardrli's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(07-04-2020, 07:24 AM)Richardrli Wrote: Would it be fair to say that Javan tigers were conclusively larger than jaguars? Sumatran tigers are borderline in this sense but Javan’s were slightly bigger than Sumatran

I would say that, based in the evidence available, the Javan tiger was the biggest of the island populations, as large as the South China tiger and much larger than any modern jaguar population. Now, Sumatran tigers are definitelly in the edge, they are definitelly bigger based in the skulls, but about the same weight, based in the few samples available. Finally, if we compare the skulls of the Balinese tigers (only 3 known) they are of the same size as those of the biggest jaguar specimens ever recorded, so they were probably of the same size, and not the dwarf of 90-100 kg normally quoted in popular media.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Javan tiger at the London Zoo, circa 1940s.

*This image is copyright of its original author
1 user Likes Balam's post

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

Since Bali tigers have disappeared long before the  invention of color photographs, we never have a chance to see them in their real color. So i tried to re-colorize their black and white photos available on the internet in order to see how they really look like. Ofc it's not 100% accurate but at least better than just looking at animals in BW photos.

Bali Tiger hunted in Gunung Gondol, November 1911 (@GuateGojira correct me if im wrong)

Balinese Male Tiger

Another Balinese Male 

Cecil HH Heaps Balinese Male around 1916

From my observation, just like their cousin javan tiger, i never saw any bali tigers with belly flap. The absence of this features combining with very short and dark hair all over their body and large front arms gives them the appearance of stocky build animals, imo

Last one, allegedly living Bali tigers at the Ringling Bros circus, USA, circa 1915. I dont know the validity of this claim, but i colorized them anyway.
Their small body looks really dark, with numerous black stripes, so one thing for sure they're definitely sonda tigers. 

And this face, i think we don't see that on a daily basis, it looks so unique to me

He/she have similar stripe pattern of sumatran tiger but combined with elongated face just like their cousin javan tiger
7 users Like phatio's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(02-03-2021, 09:32 PM)phatio Wrote: Bali Tiger hunted in Gunung Gondol, November 1911 (@GuateGojira correct me if im wrong)

You are correct. By the way, great job with the pictures!

Indonesia tigerwatcher Offline
New Join
Wink 

What do you guys think about this image , it really resemblence Javan Tiger in my opinion.

source : Rendian ID youtube channel (link below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2B1ZuxyelE

Attached Files Image(s)

2 users Like tigerwatcher's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

TIGERWATCHER

Welcome to the forum! Hope you will enjoy your stay. If you have anything of interest about Java tigers, please let us know. On behalf of all,

Peter.
1 user Likes peter's post

Indonesia tigerwatcher Offline
New Join

(10-26-2022, 03:27 AM)peter Wrote: TIGERWATCHER

Welcome to the forum! Hope you will enjoy your stay. If you have anything of interest about Java tigers, please let us know. On behalf of all,

Peter.

so what do you think @peter ? based your research/knowledge about tiger, is there any indication that the tiger could be Javan tiger?

Attached Files Image(s)

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

(10-26-2022, 09:39 AM)tigerwatcher Wrote:
(10-26-2022, 03:27 AM)peter Wrote: TIGERWATCHER

Peter.

so what do you think @peter ? based your research/knowledge about tiger, is there any indication that the tiger could be Javan tiger?

that supposedly javan tiger is an edited indochinese tiger. never believe anything from him, this channel is a fraud.
1 user Likes phatio's post

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

a group of bird hunters heard a loud roar in a distance as they venture into the jungle of a mountain in west java.

if this video real (unedited) then it must be territorial roar of a tiger, not from leopard.
when the sound getting closer (unfortunately unrecorded as the naration said), it strated to scared them to the point they decided to go back home. What do you guys think of the video?
4 users Like phatio's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-13-2023, 07:41 PM by peter )

(04-09-2023, 12:05 PM)phatio Wrote: a group of bird hunters heard a loud roar in a distance as they venture into the jungle of a mountain in west java.

if this video real (unedited) then it must be territorial roar of a tiger, not from leopard.
when the sound getting closer (unfortunately unrecorded as the naration said), it strated to scared them to the point they decided to go back home. What do you guys think of the video?

PHATIO

Hello there my friend! Long time no see. How's life in Indonesia? 

Before commenting on the video, I need some answers to questions. 

1 - Tell me about the location. Is it a reserve or a wild mountain in an in habited region? 
2 - If it's a reserve, is there a project going on? 
3 - Do biologists know about this region?  
4 - What are the villagers saying? Are there are rumours about big cats? Since when? 
5 - Tell me about the four men. Are they experienced? What were they doing there? What was their aim? 
6 - The translation is not good over here. Can you make a summary of what the men said and thought? Why did they leave?
7 - Any news about big cats in eastern Java?

Many thanks for posting the video. When I'm done with Amur tigers and bears (soon), I want to discuss Sunda tigers. I bought a few books some years ago. All of them were written by the Dutch a long time ago.
1 user Likes peter's post