There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
The Java Tiger (Panthera tigris sondaica)

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

I follow Mr. Didik Raharyono on facebook, He writes informative things, only problem is he don't know English.

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 05-11-2019, 05:59 PM by phatio )

(05-09-2019, 08:14 AM)sanjay Wrote: I follow Mr. Didik Raharyono on facebook, He writes informative things, only problem is he don't know English.

yes @sanjay , most of us here don't understand english

(05-08-2019, 10:55 AM)Lycaon Wrote: This could be real. though the striping looks more like a mainland tiger .

i hope so @Lycaon , let's wait and see
1 user Likes phatio's post

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

another example of javan tiger existence, this video took place in one of eastern java mountain last week.

unfortunately this mountain located outside protected area/national park. i think it's time for any professional researchers or Wildlife Conservation Organizations to seriuosly study this allegedly extinct animal
4 users Like phatio's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

(05-08-2019, 10:31 AM)phatio Wrote: here in Java Indonesia, every year there are many unofficial reports of Javan tigers sighting. i'll show you one example : 

“ I have seen Javan tigers on Mt. Pegat and forests around the mountain. I saw a tiger playing with her three cubs. Javan tigers are not extinct. They have stripes. There has also been sightings of tigers leaving sugarcane fields, usually in the afternoon,” Mt. Pegat juru kunci (mountain attendant) Suratno, 58, said on Sunday.

Sagimin, a resident of Bumiharjo village, claims to have seen a tiger near his house “The body was the size of a calf and it had stripes. During the dry season, tigers usually find water in the river near our kampung. I don’t believe the tigers are extinct. I’ve seen them four times,” Sagimin said.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/04/01/wonogiri-residents-claim-sightings-of-extinct-javan-tiger.html
--------------------------------------------------------

Recently Mr. Didik Raharyono told me that he finally got the picture of a wild javan tiger. yes a wild javan tiger alive!
For those who don't know who he is, Didik Raharyono is Javan tiger researcher. since 1997 he started to searching and investigating anything related to javan tiger, all by himself without financial support from any foundation. sometimes he gets what he expected, pugmarks, droppings, claws mark on trees etc. the other day he has to face the reality that his camera traps are gone. but ofc he won't give up. in the TV Show Animal Planet "Extinct or Alive" episode - The Javan Tiger, Forrest Galante, the guy who found the extinct Zanzibar Leopard visiting him for some information and advice. at the end of the show, Galante gives Didik camera trap as a gift.

if you havent seen it, you should check this episode, it's very interesting. There's a scene where Galante's drone equipped with Heat Vision Camera Sensors captured a large animal moving through jungle floor at night. Galantes also surprised how Java as world's most populous island still have healthy dense jungle which is more than capable to support the existence of large predator such as javan tiger and leopard.

back to javan tiger picture, as time goes by, Didik gained a reputation as the one you should call here in Java if you have any info about javan tiger more than the authority. like i said, every year there are many reports of javan tiger sightings. after checking some reports he had received, Didik often found some of them as false alarm, sometimes the evidence point toward to javan leopard, and only the rest "probably legit". unfortunately he haven't found any pictures or videos yet, except from two small pictures from 2014.

in September last year (2018), he received a report of javan tiger sighting with photograph in it. the witness/photographer said he took the photo in the teak forest after fail on multiple attempts before. December 2018 Mr.Didik finally had a chance to validate the accuracy of the report by interviewing the witness and visiting the location of the photo. it is true, he said to me.
and here is the photo

*This image is copyright of its original author

Judging from the photo Mr. Didik said this is probably an adult female, and interestingly according to witness there are other 4 specimen. how did he know? maybe he had seen all of them together? honestly i don't know. The exact location is still secret as it is outside national park or any other protected area. Didik and the team also had a plan to set camera traps to prove it furthermore. 

if this photo is true, then you're looking at the second photo of wild javan tiger alive since hoogerwerf's and the first one in coloured photograph.
What do you think guys, could it be real javan tiger or not?  as much i wanted this is real, i wanted to know the truth, so your honest opinion is highly appreciated.

looks like a malayan in a zoo enclosure...

smedz Offline

(05-08-2019, 10:31 AM)phatio Wrote: here in Java Indonesia, every year there are many unofficial reports of Javan tigers sighting. i'll show you one example : 

“ I have seen Javan tigers on Mt. Pegat and forests around the mountain. I saw a tiger playing with her three cubs. Javan tigers are not extinct. They have stripes. There has also been sightings of tigers leaving sugarcane fields, usually in the afternoon,” Mt. Pegat juru kunci (mountain attendant) Suratno, 58, said on Sunday.

Sagimin, a resident of Bumiharjo village, claims to have seen a tiger near his house “The body was the size of a calf and it had stripes. During the dry season, tigers usually find water in the river near our kampung. I don’t believe the tigers are extinct. I’ve seen them four times,” Sagimin said.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2018/04/01/wonogiri-residents-claim-sightings-of-extinct-javan-tiger.html
--------------------------------------------------------

Recently Mr. Didik Raharyono told me that he finally got the picture of a wild javan tiger. yes a wild javan tiger alive!
For those who don't know who he is, Didik Raharyono is Javan tiger researcher. since 1997 he started to searching and investigating anything related to javan tiger, all by himself without financial support from any foundation. sometimes he gets what he expected, pugmarks, droppings, claws mark on trees etc. the other day he has to face the reality that his camera traps are gone. but ofc he won't give up. in the TV Show Animal Planet "Extinct or Alive" episode - The Javan Tiger, Forrest Galante, the guy who found the extinct Zanzibar Leopard visiting him for some information and advice. at the end of the show, Galante gives Didik camera trap as a gift.

if you havent seen it, you should check this episode, it's very interesting. There's a scene where Galante's drone equipped with Heat Vision Camera Sensors captured a large animal moving through jungle floor at night. Galantes also surprised how Java as world's most populous island still have healthy dense jungle which is more than capable to support the existence of large predator such as javan tiger and leopard.

back to javan tiger picture, as time goes by, Didik gained a reputation as the one you should call here in Java if you have any info about javan tiger more than the authority. like i said, every year there are many reports of javan tiger sightings. after checking some reports he had received, Didik often found some of them as false alarm, sometimes the evidence point toward to javan leopard, and only the rest "probably legit". unfortunately he haven't found any pictures or videos yet, except from two small pictures from 2014.

in September last year (2018), he received a report of javan tiger sighting with photograph in it. the witness/photographer said he took the photo in the teak forest after fail on multiple attempts before. December 2018 Mr.Didik finally had a chance to validate the accuracy of the report by interviewing the witness and visiting the location of the photo. it is true, he said to me.
and here is the photo

Judging from the photo Mr. Didik said this is probably an adult female, and interestingly according to witness there are other 4 specimen. how did he know? maybe he had seen all of them together? honestly i don't know. The exact location is still secret as it is outside national park or any other protected area. Didik and the team also had a plan to set camera traps to prove it furthermore. 

if this photo is true, then you're looking at the second photo of wild javan tiger alive since hoogerwerf's and the first one in coloured photograph.
What do you think guys, could it be real javan tiger or not?  as much i wanted this is real, i wanted to know the truth, so your honest opinion is highly appreciated.
I also saw that episode, pretty good one! After seeing that pawprint cast that one guy took, I was convinced that there is a good chance the Javan Tiger is still with us. I had an idea, maybe to help determine this, maybe we can look into the diet of the Javan Leopard, in places with tigers or lions, leopards will rarely hunt animals as  eland to try to avoid encounters. In Cambodia, where tigers have gone extinct, leopards prey predominately on banteng of all things. So maybe the Javan leopard's diet can help us out.
3 users Like smedz's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

3 users Like Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-24-2020, 07:40 AM by peter )

(02-23-2020, 10:20 PM)Pckts Wrote:

Watch the word on the bottom right side of the picture: it says 'Penang'. Penang is a state in the northwestern part of Malaysia, meaning the tiger was shot in Malaysia. Not Java.

There are more clues. Tigers from Java have narrower, more numerous and relatively longer stripes. Reduction of stripes near the shoulders is quite common. The ground colour often is very dark. The number of white parts is very limited and most adult Java tigers, and males in particular, have a quite outspoken mane. The tail also is often different. 

Hoogerwerf took this photograph of a wild male Java tiger in 1938. The liner notes are in Dutch: 

4 users Like peter's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-24-2020, 07:57 AM by peter )

(05-11-2019, 08:25 PM)phatio Wrote: another example of javan tiger existence, this video took place in one of eastern java mountain last week.

unfortunately this mountain located outside protected area/national park. i think it's time for any professional researchers or Wildlife Conservation Organizations to seriuosly study this allegedly extinct animal

This is quite something, Phatio. The size, shape and depth of the prints strongly suggest they were not left by a large male leopard, as these only very seldom exceed 90 pounds (40,82 kg.) in Java. All records I have, in fact, are well below that mark. 

I wasn't able to respond to your post right away. One reason was I was reorganizing everything I have on big cats. Took me well over a year. At the moment, I'm working on a number of tables on Sunda tigers. 

The question is what to do with the footage of the prints. 

My first advice is to avoid communicating about the exact location of the prints. The reason is poachers visit this forum as well. They have been quite active in Southeast Asia in the last decade. With 'Southeast Asia' I also mean Malaysia. 

My second advice is to contact a tiger biologist. Sunquist is one of the few biologists willing to respond to questions, but he isn't the only one. 

I assume you made a few photographs of the prints? I hope you added a scale. Could you contact me in private (PM)? 

Excellent work!
3 users Like peter's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(06-19-2017, 07:28 PM)phatio Wrote: Then what did this island tiger really look like in colored picture? Well we may never know as they were declared extinct fiew decades ago.  
So i try my best to colourizing this famous black and white picture and here's the result. 

of course it can't be 100% accurate but i think it’s still interesting to imagine how Andries Hoogerwerf really saw in the jungle that lucky day.

May you please put the colored image again?

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

(03-21-2020, 11:27 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 07:28 PM)phatio Wrote: Then what did this island tiger really look like in colored picture? Well we may never know as they were declared extinct fiew decades ago.  
So i try my best to colourizing this famous black and white picture and here's the result. 

of course it can't be 100% accurate but i think it’s still interesting to imagine how Andries Hoogerwerf really saw in the jungle that lucky day.

May you please put the colored image again?

here you go @GuateGojira 

and heres a bonus for you, some 'new' old pictures of javan tigers. sadly they're already dead as usual.
German mother and child with tiger on family holiday in Surabaya, Java, Indonesia in 1914

zooming and brightness edited

Javan tiger from Meru Betiri eastern java 1950

this one is relatively new, also from east java, 1992

now this is the clearest images of javan tiger skin from  the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI)

Javan tiger skull

Bali tigers skin

collection of Javan, bali, sumatran tigers and javan leopard skulls

And again, some new footprints recently

9 users Like phatio's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

PHATIO

Excellent post again. I would really like to visit the Indonesian Institute for Sciences (LIPI) to measure and photograph the skulls and skins. The skins, by the way, show the ground colour of Javan tigers was dark orange, almost reddish. 

The new photographs of the prints are very clear. It's also clear they were not left by a large male leopard, but by a male tiger. Adult, I think.

Many thanks on behalf of all. Keep at it.
2 users Like peter's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Thank you very much @phatio, I really appreciate all the pictures, they are very important for the historic record.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@phatio 

What are your thoughts on this article ?

https://www.mongabay.co.id/2014/06/03/misteri-foto-harimau-peneliti-yakini-itu-foto-harimau-jawa/
1 user Likes Lycaon's post

Indonesia phatio Offline
Tiger Expert

(03-25-2020, 06:52 AM)Lycaon Wrote: @phatio 

What are your thoughts on this article ?

https://www.mongabay.co.id/2014/06/03/misteri-foto-harimau-peneliti-yakini-itu-foto-harimau-jawa/

that's an old hoax which had been debunked by our local forum member here in indonesia. the black and white photo actually a screenshot of thailand's tiger from youtube. you can see the video's link from the article update in the bottom.

Actualy @Lycaon  here in indonesia we recieves many hoaxes every years, so we really need to be careful, especialy if we dealing with extinct animal. thats why every (verified) data/photos are very very important for Javan,Bali, Caspian tigers and barbary lion or any other extinct species
2 users Like phatio's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@phatio 

Thanks a lot . Yes we do need to be careful with these species .