There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Australia Horizon Offline

Guys, pls don’t be scared for Nym.
If it gets there, he will put his running shoes on and will disappear. Unless he is totally surprised, he should be fine. We have seen this in the past how well he could remove himself from the danger, just needs a few seconds head start. Nhenha is the one who would always likely gets caught out.
2 users Like Horizon's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(01-14-2023, 03:33 AM)Horizon Wrote: Guys, pls don’t be scared for Nym.
If it gets there, he will put his running shoes on and will disappear. Unless he is totally surprised, he should be fine. We have seen this in the past how well he could remove himself from the danger, just needs a few seconds head start. Nhenha is the one who would always likely gets caught out.

NYM is good at running/escape techniques Lol because he's always been alone. Nhenha gets caught because he wants to fight.
3 users Like afortich's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Honestly. The worst case isnt that the PCmales kill Nym and Skorro tommorow.  Its that this chain of constant takeovers continues linger than the prides can handle. And then once its too late they get killed.

Ideally they finally leave the west for actual opportunities though. Rather than playing hide and seek in the west.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

At this point with his leg a mess, thin, 12+ days without eating, 3 days at the same spot, 2 attacks from the PCM, and his age, I can't see how he recovers.

After he dies, NK and Skorro Jr should team up and leave for good, a coalition of 2 prime males has all the tools they need to go look for some new territory somewhere else.

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-14-2023, 05:54 AM by afortich )

The big question about forming a coalition if whether both are committed to fight for each other. If NYM does not commit to back up his partner, any coalition he forms may fail.
4 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

This possible new coalition wouldn't be able to stand against PCM but it can easily take over from lone males.

Also If NK gets an actual territory and pride he can hold for like a year, it may give him the confidence he lacks and if 2 rivals show up he may be willing to help chase and fight them.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Musa15 Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2023, 10:16 PM by Musa15 )

I wonder why we've only had one piece of footage of Nhenha since the first fight. He's been spotted apparently even now in a thin, weakened state. It's part of nature, but always tough to watch a male Lion near the end of his life. The final images of Dark Mane(Majin) are still etched on my mind.
1 user Likes Musa15's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-15-2023, 10:38 PM by Duco Ndona )

It might be that most people are not interested in having such footage on their Instagram feeds. Not to mention the drama that usually follows.
Leaving it to more official channels to post it. I don't know if there is such a group willing in the region right now.

United States SMK350 Offline

I have spoken to at least two western sector guides who implied they will no longer post updates on this topic online due to the harassment they were facing online. If Nhenha is in bad shape I’d rather not see it. I have lots of thoughts on how Dark Mane Avocas death was exploited for clicks and views and I hope Nhenha has the dignity to either recover or leave the earth in peace.
3 users Like SMK350's post

Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-16-2023, 02:47 AM by Hairy tummy )

He could just be hinding away?/laying low

Musa15 Offline

(01-15-2023, 10:47 PM)SMK350 Wrote: I have spoken to at least two western sector guides who implied they will no longer post updates on this topic online due to the harassment they were facing online. If Nhenha is in bad shape I’d rather not see it. I have lots of thoughts on how Dark Mane Avocas death was exploited for clicks and views and I hope Nhenha has the dignity to either recover or leave the earth in peace.

What type of harrassment, being accused of exploiting an animal's suffering/death kind of thing?

United States SMK350 Offline

(01-15-2023, 11:09 PM)Musa15 Wrote:
(01-15-2023, 10:47 PM)SMK350 Wrote: I have spoken to at least two western sector guides who implied they will no longer post updates on this topic online due to the harassment they were facing online. If Nhenha is in bad shape I’d rather not see it. I have lots of thoughts on how Dark Mane Avocas death was exploited for clicks and views and I hope Nhenha has the dignity to either recover or leave the earth in peace.

What type of harrassment, being accused of exploiting an animal's suffering/death kind of thing?

Nah, more along the lines of implying the rangers are lying about what’s happening, playing favorites, or on the extreme end even accusations that they are culling lions (they euthanized Sassy so people are starting to come up with wild speculations based on that). 

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I don’t think Nhenha has been starving for 14 days straight. He scavenged a kill from a leapord and could do that again. Maybe the second attack wasn’t that bad and laying in one spot for days is actually good for an animal who’s injured to conserve energy.
3 users Like SMK350's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-16-2023, 12:21 AM by afortich )

(01-15-2023, 11:29 PM)SMK350 Wrote:
(01-15-2023, 11:09 PM)Musa15 Wrote:

Nah, more along the lines of implying the rangers are lying about what’s happening, playing favorites, or on the extreme end even accusations that they are culling lions (they euthanized Sassy so people are starting to come up with wild speculations based on that). 

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I don’t think Nhenha has been starving for 14 days straight. He scavenged a kill from a leapord and could do that again. Maybe the second attack wasn’t that bad and laying in one spot for days is actually good for an animal who’s injured to conserve energy.

@SMK350 you may be right because we only see a very tiny portion of lion's day, most interactions are not captured.
Only time will tell us the real condition of Nhenha.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Contributor

Things were really bad a week ago so I don't blame them. Its sad we wont be getting a complete record though. 
They can however end this with good news. So no news is bad news in this case. 

As for his energy. He has to move to find meals. If he doesn't. Prey animals or other sources of food will just stay clear of his area. 
The meals also would need to be substantial. Having only a few scraps will not help him. 
We dont know how large his reserves still are. It depends on how long ago he had a proper meal even before the attack. How much he has been able to scavenge and how much extra strain his wounds give him But unless we missed a big meal. One that would be the good news the guides would be happy to share. It doesn't look good.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

1ofCourage Offline

(01-16-2023, 12:56 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Things were really bad a week ago so I don't blame them. Its sad we wont be getting a complete record though. 
They can however end this with good news. So no news is bad news in this case. 

As for his energy. He has to move to find meals. If he doesn't. Prey animals or other sources of food will just stay clear of his area. 
The meals also would need to be substantial. Having only a few scraps will not help him. 
We dont know how large his reserves still are. It depends on how long ago he had a proper meal even before the attack. How much he has been able to scavenge and how much extra strain his wounds give him But unless we missed a big meal. One that would be the good news the guides would be happy to share. It doesn't look good.

He needs water.