There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-12-2022, 11:09 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: See, I have never been in these debates of size but how did size matter. 
Today Amahle is king of all sabi sands. All lion dynamics of sabi sands revolves around him only. 
He has largest share of females under his belt, most no. of cubs, undisputed king of sabi sabi, Umkumbe and londolozy. Has 3 powerful comrades to continue his blitzkrieg. He has all the potential to conquer much more land ( savanna,  chitwa chitwa and djuma) and many more prides ( mangheni, nkuhumas and talamatis). And on top of that, he is not even 7 ie has atleast 4 years of prime. 
So who cares if he is largest or not. 
I mean how is it matter that much. 
It sounds me like tomorrow we start debates on which lion has longest tail nhenha vs HB vs some other lion. 
Who has more moustache on his face etc etc. 
These comparision are neither cool nor funny. 
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Bravo!

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Honestly. I don't even see the point. Lions don't care who is the biggest, has the most territory or lionesses and cubs. The Tumbellas aren't interested in the Nwas because they currently have the most territory or more lionesses. They are only interested in Nym, Nhenha and the PC males because those are the lions they interact with. 
Nor are the Nwas sitting around plotting to take over the entirety of Sabi Sands. They just are just confident and curious enough to explore neighbouring lands and add them to their own if they find some lionesses there. They couldn't care less about the western sector and the Othawa pride. Just to far away for now.  

Size is also meaningless considering lions prefer to attack only when they have a numeral advantage. 

And cubs... cubs are just a unfortunate side effect of mating in their eyes. Not the big next generation or a continuation of their bloodline. 

I think all those debates about whos lions are better says more about us than over the lions themselves. I am curious if we still had those debates if lions weren't hyped up as some kind of conquering warrior in movies or documentaries. .

Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 01:52 AM by Slayerd )

(05-13-2022, 12:01 AM)WildRev Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 11:09 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: See, I have never been in these debates of size but how did size matter. 
Today Amahle is king of all sabi sands. All lion dynamics of sabi sands revolves around him only. 
He has largest share of females under his belt, most no. of cubs, undisputed king of sabi sabi, Umkumbe and londolozy. Has 3 powerful comrades to continue his blitzkrieg. He has all the potential to conquer much more land ( savanna,  chitwa chitwa and djuma) and many more prides ( mangheni, nkuhumas and talamatis). And on top of that, he is not even 7 ie has atleast 4 years of prime. 
It sounds me like tomorrow we start debates on which lion has longest tail nhenha vs HB vs some other lion. 

-Amahle is around 7,5 years old
-He isn't the king of all Sabi sands, him AND his brothers are kings of around half of the reserve, not the same thing.
-most of lion dynamics revolve around all n'was, not only him
 For the rest I agree,  Nhenha being bigger than this or that male doesn't matter, it's just to satisfy some fanboyism

Nobody said Nhenha being larger was gonna make him the most successful lion who ever lived and what was said about Amahle certainly isn't true although the Nwaswitshaka are currently the most successful lions in Sabi Sands in terms of territory. Talking about Nhenha's size was atleast for me just appreciation of size. Same like with the appreciation of the size and look of HB Matimba. Obviously size can play a part in the success of a lion if it is to dictate dominance or a fight though in the lions world, confidence is just as crucial. What got me frustrated was people continuously denying his size as a way to say he was not an impressive lion. That's what gets me frustrated. I don't care if Nhenha is as big as the Shishangheni males and I highly doubt he is. I was just showing appreciation of the male lion that was Nhenha Birmingham.

Abomai Offline

Exactly! the coolest lions are often the smaller ones in the coalition. Mr. T, Hipscar, Mazino, Scrapper... they always have some trait that's more interesting than size. 

people like to say the lion world is a numbers game, but it's funny how some people become frustrated when other people don't partake in their fantasy.
2 users Like Abomai's post

Abomai Offline

(05-12-2022, 06:37 PM)Slayerd Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 06:06 AM)Abomai Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 06:55 PM)Slayerd Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 05:53 PM)Abomai Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 05:26 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 08:34 AM)Abomai Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 06:08 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 11:49 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Nhenha is working his way into legendary sabi sands lion status, for me,getting up there with the likes of makhulu and hairy belly, be interesting to see how the future unfolds for the big fella

I think Nhena is pretty much average except maybe in size so I wouldn't put him in that list. Nhena's life has been the average life of a lion who made it past the age of 10 pretty much.
size is average too.

Actually im pretty sure he is the biggest lion in SS at the moment, and he was also the biggest of the BBoys, he is not as big as HB Matimba but still Nhena is above average in size
Nope, he isn't. He is big compared to Nsuku, who was tiny. He is average. 
Look at Nsuku next to HB and you will see how small the BBoys were.They were bulky though.

Are we going to go over this for the 50th time. How many rangers and photographers is it gonna take to convince people. Nsuku was not a large lion but according to Tayla who used to work at Safari Live, he is more impressive than Eorenji from the Ndzega Males. And Nhenha dwarfed Nsuku, Nsuku looked like a lioness to Nhenha. You cannot make a comparison of Nhenha and Nsuku and then say all of the Bboys are small. Nhenha has been the largest lion in SS for some time now according to people who have seen him with their eyes. Nobody's opinion on this forum is as strong as that.
what are you talking about? It was the guides of Safarilive who said the Bboys are on the smaller side. I don't understand why you want them to be bigger than they really are/were. just look at scarnose next to the kambulas and it's easy to see the majingilanes were even bigger than the Bboys, yet Rob always said they were only average.
Also, I compared HB to Nsuku, not Nhenha. HB dwarfed Nsuku. Nhenha is unquestionably bigger than Nsuku, but never dwarfed him like HB did. And being the largest lion in SS right now means very little. Nguvu was the last large male in the area.

Do you want to seriously go down this rabithole where I already said photographers and rangers have spoken yet you want to argue against it. It's been said multiple times and I'm tired of repeating it. The very reserve where the Othawa Male was seen the most said the Birminghams are bigger than him. Nhenha was much larger than Nsuku. You said HB looked bigger than Nsuku in 2017 yet there is a ranger who said Nhenha was bigger than the Matimbas in 2017 when they began to deteriorate. A video was just posted the other day of Nhenha in his prime with the Kambula Pride and he is much larger than them. Scar nose was with the Kambula when they were the same age as the current Kambula Young females. Have you seen Nhenha next to the current Kambula young lionesses? Nhenha's presence in the west has all the western reserves talking about his size. Savanna, Inyathi and Dulini are all talking about how large he is. Don't know why people are trying to hard to refute it.
I really don't. you replied my post, I only returned the courtesy.

I will say one thing though: You saying that a photographer or ranger said something bears zero credibility. I'll never take just your word as the truth. get over yourself, you're not that important.

also, nhenha bigger than the matimbas? that ranger must be a crack addict
1 user Likes Abomai's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 07:10 AM by 1999gc8 )

I know this size discussion is frowned upon but of all the videos of male lions on the web I don't see how Nhena can be considered on the smaller side.
I'm not saying he's larger or smaller than any specific lion but in this video it clearly shows how big he is and he is massive. The video is extremely clear and high quality.
This video was taken last year and Nhena still appears to be the same size and condition.

Abomai Offline

(05-13-2022, 07:07 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: I know this size discussion is frowned  upon but of all the videos of male lions on the web I don't see how Nhena can be considered on the smaller side.
I'm not saying he's larger or smaller than any specific lion but in this video it clearly shows how big he is and he is massive. The video is extremely clear and high quality.
This video was taken last year and Nhena still appears to be the same size and condition.

That's the thing...compared to what?
I don't recall which guides of safarlive said the bboys were on the smaller side, but they probably meant the coalition as a whole, not all individuals. Mfumo and Nhenha were average, while Tinyo, Nsuku and Scrapper were less so.
The thing about Nhenha is that he is quite the looker. Picture perfect. Bulky with a lush mane. I'd dare to say he is the best looking lion in Sabi Sands for the past 10 or maybe 20 years. Nguvu and Golden Mane not far behind.

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

All:

Everyone needs to move on from this discussion. We will not allow members to personally attack other members, everyone needs to keep the conversations respectful.

As for size discussions short of actual weights and measurements, which we are all aware are very rare, any and all size comments will be forever be subjective, making any such comments will almost always be an opinionated one, perhaps somewhat educated but no less subjective. Any comments as to any members intelligence will not be tolerated.
11 users Like BA0701's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Nhenha and NK male 
Credit: ash chin

4 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2022, 02:19 PM by Tr1x24 )

Wow, first time we see NK and Nhenha standing next to each other that close , Nkuhuma male is pretty much same in size as Nhenha, pretty impressive.

When Nkuhuma grows his full mane, he will be a beast.

Note: dont start another "Nhenha size" pointless disscusion, its just my observation based of the video.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

O no, dont mention the 's' word tr1x24 ha ha
Both boys looking good, thats the main thing
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(05-15-2022, 02:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: When Nkuhuma grows his full mane, he will be a beast.
Nkuchuma male is nearly 6 years old already. It seems likely his mane will not grow any longer, not much at least and Nkuchuma male will never have full mane.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2022, 04:48 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-15-2022, 04:31 PM)Potato Wrote: Nkuchuma male is nearly 6 years old already. It seems likely his mane will not grow any longer, not much at least and Nkuchuma male will never have full mane.

Yea, but he is nomad, and had pretty stressfull life so far. He might not have big mane like his fathers but i think it will still fill out a bit more, especially on the top :

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2022, 07:18 PM by Slayerd )

(05-15-2022, 02:10 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Wow, first time we see NK and Nhenha standing next to each other that close , Nkuhuma male is pretty much same in size as Nhenha, pretty impressive.

When Nkuhuma grows his full mane, he will be a beast.

Note: dont start another "Nhenha size" pointless disscusion, its just my observation based of the video.

I'm not starting another size dabate here but the Ranger in the video does ask, "Can you see the size difference..." in the video. So Nhenha is a bit bigger. As I said,just like his father Mfumo but the boy has come come a long way from when he was pointlessly punching up at the Avocas, not forgetting his impressive assault on Mohawks face. I remember seeing him a few months after the Styx Male lions death and he had a big spurt growth, atleast in his body size. It's unfortunate we couldn't get the same from the Styx Male who was the same size, if not slightly bigger. His mane can definitely grow now that he is becoming dominant. There have been cases of male lions who lost all their mane  due to illness or even operation and grew it back in year so hopefully he grows it. Mfumo didn't have the biggest Mane of the Bboys but in 2018,it was starting to look amazing.
5 users Like Slayerd's post

1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2022, 06:21 PM by 1999gc8 )

The last Birmingham/Gowrie male starts marking his new territory with his new partner the Nkuhuma male “ his son” in the Western sector of the Sabi Sands.

Inyati, South Africa
Photographer Credit:- @omegagodi

4 users Like 1999gc8's post