There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(05-11-2022, 08:34 AM)Abomai Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 06:08 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 11:49 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Nhenha is working his way into legendary sabi sands lion status, for me,getting up there with the likes of makhulu and hairy belly, be interesting to see how the future unfolds for the big fella

I think Nhena is pretty much average except maybe in size so I wouldn't put him in that list. Nhena's life has been the average life of a lion who made it past the age of 10 pretty much.
size is average too.

Actually im pretty sure he is the biggest lion in SS at the moment, and he was also the biggest of the BBoys, he is not as big as HB Matimba but still Nhena is above average in size
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Abomai Offline

(05-11-2022, 05:26 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 11:49 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Nhenha is working his way into legendary sabi sands lion status, for me,getting up there with the likes of makhulu and hairy belly, be interesting to see how the future unfolds for the big fella

I think Nhena is pretty much average except maybe in size so I wouldn't put him in that list. Nhena's life has been the average life of a lion who made it past the age of 10 pretty much.
size is average too.

Actually im pretty sure he is the biggest lion in SS at the moment, and he was also the biggest of the BBoys, he is not as big as HB Matimba but still Nhena is above average in size
Nope, he isn't. He is big compared to Nsuku, who was tiny. He is average. 
Look at Nsuku next to HB and you will see how small the BBoys were.They were bulky though.

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(05-11-2022, 05:53 PM)Abomai Wrote:

size is average too.

Look at Nsuku next to HB and you will see how small the BBoys were.They were bulky though.

Are we going to go over this for the 50th time. How many rangers and photographers is it gonna take to convince people. Nsuku was not a large lion but according to Tayla who used to work at Safari Live, he is more impressive than Eorenji from the Ndzega Males. And Nhenha dwarfed Nsuku, Nsuku looked like a lioness to Nhenha. You cannot make a comparison of Nhenha and Nsuku and then say all of the Bboys are small. Nhenha has been the largest lion in SS for some time now according to people who have seen him with their eyes. Nobody's opinion on this forum is as strong as that.
4 users Like Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Enough of this "Nhenha is big", "Nhenha is not big" debate for 1236527 time, jesus..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

(05-11-2022, 07:18 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Enough of this "Nhenha is big", "Nhenha is not big" debate for 1236527 time, jesus..
Lol... Case closed

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Nhenha and Ximhungwe :

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Abomai Offline

(05-11-2022, 06:55 PM)Slayerd Wrote:

size is average too.

Are we going to go over this for the 50th time. How many rangers and photographers is it gonna take to convince people. Nsuku was not a large lion but according to Tayla who used to work at Safari Live, he is more impressive than Eorenji from the Ndzega Males. And Nhenha dwarfed Nsuku, Nsuku looked like a lioness to Nhenha. You cannot make a comparison of Nhenha and Nsuku and then say all of the Bboys are small. Nhenha has been the largest lion in SS for some time now according to people who have seen him with their eyes. Nobody's opinion on this forum is as strong as that.
what are you talking about? It was the guides of Safarilive who said the Bboys are on the smaller side. I don't understand why you want them to be bigger than they really are/were. just look at scarnose next to the kambulas and it's easy to see the majingilanes were even bigger than the Bboys, yet Rob always said they were only average.
Also, I compared HB to Nsuku, not Nhenha. HB dwarfed Nsuku. Nhenha is unquestionably bigger than Nsuku, but never dwarfed him like HB did. And being the largest lion in SS right now means very little. Nguvu was the last large male in the area.
3 users Like Abomai's post

( This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 06:41 PM by Slayerd )

(05-12-2022, 06:06 AM)Abomai Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 06:55 PM)Slayerd Wrote:

size is average too.

what are you talking about? It was the guides of Safarilive who said the Bboys are on the smaller side. I don't understand why you want them to be bigger than they really are/were. just look at scarnose next to the kambulas and it's easy to see the majingilanes were even bigger than the Bboys, yet Rob always said they were only average.
Also, I compared HB to Nsuku, not Nhenha. HB dwarfed Nsuku. Nhenha is unquestionably bigger than Nsuku, but never dwarfed him like HB did. And being the largest lion in SS right now means very little. Nguvu was the last large male in the area.

Do you want to seriously go down this rabithole where I already said photographers and rangers have spoken yet you want to argue against it. It's been said multiple times and I'm tired of repeating it. The very reserve where the Othawa Male was seen the most said the Birminghams are bigger than him. Nhenha was much larger than Nsuku. You said HB looked bigger than Nsuku in 2017 yet there is a ranger who said Nhenha was bigger than the Matimbas in 2017 when they began to deteriorate. A video was just posted the other day of Nhenha in his prime with the Kambula Pride and he is much larger than them. Scar nose was with the Kambula when they were the same age as the current Kambula Young females. Have you seen Nhenha next to the current Kambula young lionesses? Nhenha's presence in the west has all the western reserves talking about his size. Savanna, Inyathi and Dulini are all talking about how large he is. Don't know why people are trying to hard to refute it.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

( This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 06:48 PM by Slayerd )

I know people like Tr1x24 and Tonpa are going to tell me to stop bringing it up but when others keep bringing it up over and over again, I get a little frustrated having to repeat the same points to prove the same thing.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

RookiePundit Offline

I think the western guide heard being impressed on that night sighting when they first saw them two (NK + Nhenha) in western sector: "he is much bigger than the other one" should be enough to consider Nhenha noticeable larger than Nkhumua, maybe not by much, but still it seems like a notoriety that Nhenha has experience, size (and likely confidence and perhaps still strenght so far) in competition for resources with his colaition mate. Nkuhuma led, Nhenha followed, but that doesn't necessary mean anything for the dominance pecking order within a coalition which might be fluid and different males might come on top in different situations. Initially it is likely that at first Nhenha just followed because it has been Nkuhuma who knows those properties better as Birminghams never ruled there while Nkuhuma with or without Styx travelled through pretty much whole Sabi Sands and knows properties roughly to the west of Birminghams' former claims well. Nhenha also did not roar that might have been a confidence thing being newly nomadic again and also Birminghams were always rather cautious in comparison to other great Sabi Sands centered coalition (Mapogos, Majingilanes) - Nhenha himself avoided that one 1 vs 1 mating related situation with Mohawk  year ago - so he migh just prefer low profile anyway. Nhenha was also rather loner going his own way, might be just a personality thing not stepping up leading the way and just laidback tag along instead. Him finding Ximhungwe fits how it was him frequenting Tsalala lone female (and his daughter resulting from that is still doing well).
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

( This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 07:51 PM by Slayerd )

(05-12-2022, 07:09 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: I think the western guide heard being impressed on that night sighting when they first saw them two (NK + Nhenha) in western sector: "he is much bigger than the other one" should be enough to consider Nhenha noticeable larger than Nkhumua, maybe not by much, but still it seems like a notoriety that Nhenha has experience, size (and likely confidence and perhaps still strenght so far) in competition for resources with his colaition mate. Nkuhuma led, Nhenha followed, but that doesn't necessary mean anything for the dominance pecking order within a coalition which might be fluid and different males might come on top in different situations. Initially it is likely that at first Nhenha just followed because it has been Nkuhuma who knows those properties better as Birminghams never ruled there while Nkuhuma with or without Styx travelled through pretty much whole Sabi Sands and knows properties roughly to the west of Birminghams' former claims well. Nhenha also did not roar that might have been a confidence thing being newly nomadic again and also Birminghams were always rather cautious in comparison to other great Sabi Sands centered coalition (Mapogos, Majingilanes) - Nhenha himself avoided that one 1 vs 1 mating related situation with Mohawk  year ago - so he migh just prefer low profile anyway. Nhenha was also rather loner going his own way, might be just a personality thing not stepping up leading the way and just laidback tag along instead. Him finding Ximhungwe fits how it was him frequenting Tsalala lone female (and his daughter resulting from that is still doing well).
I don't think the guide was referring to the Nkuhuma Male when talking about Nhenha's size but the Tumbela Male because he follows that with "That's why I say, it's bad." Referring to the Tumbela Males situation. However, it's quite clear that Nhenha is bigger just by looking at the two males walking alongside each other, you can tell Nhenha is taller in the shoulders and has a larger body size and head. In regards to Nhenha's confidence, Nhenha definitely picks his fights depending on the situation. Nhenha for eg. chasing both the Nkuhuma Male and Styx Males last year and then the two Plains Camp Males as well. The year prior chasing both the Avoca Males by himself. Nhenha was almost guaranteed to have been involved in the Othawa Males death based on his wounds. Nhenha has definitely gotten involved in multiple chases and situations such as being the front runner against the Matimbas, Tsalala, Selati. Chasing the Southern Avocas with Tinyo in 2018 etc. He is also an explorer, often seen pushing borders like Kruger, the west where he found the Tsalala female and Mangheni Pride. Him and Mfumo pushed north and came across the Talamati pride. But there are times where he is seen being cautious and avoiding confrontation. We can't just judge him off running from Mohawk once. It seems he chooses when to be confident and where to chill and lay low.

RookiePundit Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-12-2022, 09:06 PM by RookiePundit )

(05-12-2022, 07:48 PM)Slayerd Wrote:
(05-12-2022, 07:09 PM)RookiePundit Wrote: I think the western guide heard being impressed on that night sighting when they first saw them two (NK + Nhenha) in western sector: "he is much bigger than the other one" should be enough to consider Nhenha noticeable larger than Nkhumua, maybe not by much, but still it seems like a notoriety that Nhenha has experience, size (and likely confidence and perhaps still strenght so far) in competition for resources with his colaition mate. Nkuhuma led, Nhenha followed, but that doesn't necessary mean anything for the dominance pecking order within a coalition which might be fluid and different males might come on top in different situations. Initially it is likely that at first Nhenha just followed because it has been Nkuhuma who knows those properties better as Birminghams never ruled there while Nkuhuma with or without Styx travelled through pretty much whole Sabi Sands and knows properties roughly to the west of Birminghams' former claims well. Nhenha also did not roar that might have been a confidence thing being newly nomadic again and also Birminghams were always rather cautious in comparison to other great Sabi Sands centered coalition (Mapogos, Majingilanes) - Nhenha himself avoided that one 1 vs 1 mating related situation with Mohawk  year ago - so he migh just prefer low profile anyway. Nhenha was also rather loner going his own way, might be just a personality thing not stepping up leading the way and just laidback tag along instead. Him finding Ximhungwe fits how it was him frequenting Tsalala lone female (and his daughter resulting from that is still doing well).
I don't think the guide was referring to the Nkuhuma Male when talking about Nhenha's size but the Tumbela Male because he follows that with "That's why I say, it's bad." Referring to the Tumbela Males situation. However, it's quite clear that Nhenha is bigger just by looking at the two males walking alongside each other, you can tell Nhenha is taller in the shoulders and has a larger body size and head. In regards to Nhenha's confidence, Nhenha definitely picks his fights depending on the situation. Nhenha for eg. chasing both the Nkuhuma Male and Styx Males last year and then the two Plains Camp Males as well. The year prior chasing both the Avoca Males by himself. Nhenha was almost guaranteed to have been involved in the Othawa Males death based on his wounds. Nhenha has definitely gotten involved in multiple chases and situations such as being the front runner against the Matimbas, Tsalala, Selati. Chasing the Southern Avocas with Tinyo in 2018 etc. He is also an explorer, often seen pushing borders like Kruger, the west where he found the Tsalala female and Mangheni Pride. Him and Mfumo pushed north and came across the Talamati pride. But there are times where he is seen being cautious and avoiding confrontation. We can't just judge him off running from Mohawk once. It seems he chooses when to be confident and where to chill and lay low.

The Mohawk incident was used just as an example. I did not want to phrase it as he (or Birminghams in general were) fights on his terms when comparing to other coalitions as Majingilanes, who ere masters in decisive crippling strikes against (potential) opposition (notably Selatis) not wanting to write about him that he is avoiding fights. He is rather picky and cautious about his fights I assume not going all-in like some others, not shyaway from confontation either - fighting with purpose but not to the extent of being proactive like Majingilanes were, I guess.

I was reffering to a night sighting, posted here somewhere (I believe in main Sabi Sands thread but could be mistaken) with lights, Nhenha visible, Nkuhuma not really being hidden in vegetation nearby of perhaps not present atm - that was (in a week) before they had any known conflict with Tumbelas, I think it migh have been even before Skorro Jr. and PC males ran into each other. Shame I forgot the name of the guide, I believe it was his first time seeing Nhenha, so I took his reaction as genuine, to me it was obvious he was comparing him to his coalition partner. (Edit: thinking about it there might a mention about big Nhenha being a threat for other males, but I believe the size comparion itself was towards the other male being with him, Nkuhuma; as they were new males for them, no names were used).

However  we are in agreement, Nhenha is bigger than Nkuhuma (at least atm, i we go by weight, one day that might be different once the age gets to him) and really what I wanted to say (and admitting what I want to believe) this coalitions dynamics and Nhenha's behavour could be attributed to old man's smarts and perhaps at times by "doing more by doing less" attitude and I would not put much weight to anything having an impact on any kind of dominance within the coalition (aside from direct confrontations, obviously now Nhenha beat Nkuhuma for mating rights although Nkuhuma might not even intended to compete for being first).

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

See, I have never been in these debates of size but how did size matter. 
Today Amahle is king of all sabi sands. All lion dynamics of sabi sands revolves around him only. 
He has largest share of females under his belt, most no. of cubs, undisputed king of sabi sabi, Umkumbe and londolozy. Has 3 powerful comrades to continue his blitzkrieg. He has all the potential to conquer much more land ( savanna,  chitwa chitwa and djuma) and many more prides ( mangheni, nkuhumas and talamatis). And on top of that, he is not even 7 ie has atleast 4 years of prime. 
So who cares if he is largest or not. 
I mean how is it matter that much. 
It sounds me like tomorrow we start debates on which lion has longest tail nhenha vs HB vs some other lion. 
Who has more moustache on his face etc etc. 
These comparision are neither cool nor funny. 
Please correct me if I am wrong.
2 users Like DARK MANE's post

WildRev Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 12:03 AM by WildRev )

(05-12-2022, 11:09 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: See, I have never been in these debates of size but how did size matter. 
Today Amahle is king of all sabi sands. All lion dynamics of sabi sands revolves around him only. 
He has largest share of females under his belt, most no. of cubs, undisputed king of sabi sabi, Umkumbe and londolozy. Has 3 powerful comrades to continue his blitzkrieg. He has all the potential to conquer much more land ( savanna,  chitwa chitwa and djuma) and many more prides ( mangheni, nkuhumas and talamatis). And on top of that, he is not even 7 ie has atleast 4 years of prime. 
So who cares if he is largest or not. 
I mean how is it matter that much. 
It sounds me like tomorrow we start debates on which lion has longest tail nhenha vs HB vs some other lion. 
Who has more moustache on his face etc etc. 
These comparision are neither cool nor funny. 
Please correct me if I am wrong.

-Amahle is around 7,5 years old
-He isn't the king of all Sabi sands, him AND his brothers are kings of around half of the reserve, not the same thing.
-most of lion dynamics revolve around all n'was, not only him
 For the rest I agree,  Nhenha being bigger than this or that male doesn't matter, it's just to satisfy some fanboyism
5 users Like WildRev's post