There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 09:43 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-08-2020, 09:14 PM)BA0701 Wrote: With all of the recent discussion about Hairy Belly, and as follow up to this picture of an injured Nsuku. In better days, here is a video showing Hairy Belly stealing a buffalo kill from Nsuku and the Styx Pride. One of the most confusing videos I have seen, as Nsuku and Hairy Belly are within inches of each other, making a lot of noise, but only once throwing a couple of half-hearted swipes at each other. One of the comical aspects of the video is how Hairy Belly out right refuses to show Nsuku any respect, and with Nsuku really close to him, he simply goes on about his business of eating Nsuku's buffalo.

Actually if you look at body language, HB did show a lot of respect to Nsuku, he was the submissive one (low posture, head down, avoiding eye contact) , while Nsuku was dominant one in this encounter (standing tall, head up, roaring on him).. 

Nsuku and Styx pride already eat a big portion of that kill, and Nsuku felt it wasn't worth to fight for it anymore,especially with this big male..

Both males didnt want to fight pretty much..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-08-2020, 09:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 09:14 PM)BA0701 Wrote: With all of the recent discussion about Hairy Belly, and as follow up to this picture of an injured Nsuku. In better days, here is a video showing Hairy Belly stealing a buffalo kill from Nsuku and the Styx Pride. One of the most confusing videos I have seen, as Nsuku and Hairy Belly are within inches of each other, making a lot of noise, but only once throwing a couple of half-hearted swipes at each other. One of the comical aspects of the video is how Hairy Belly out right refuses to show Nsuku any respect, and with Nsuku really close to him, he simply goes on about his business of eating Nsuku's buffalo.

Actually if you look at body language, HB did show a lot of respect to Nsuku, he was the submissive one (low posture, head down, avoiding eye contact) , while Nsuku was dominant one in this encounter (standing tall, head up, roaring on him).. 

Nsuku and Styx pride already eat a big portion of that kill, and Nsuku felt it wasn't worth to fight for it anymore,especially with this big male..

Both males didnt want to fight pretty much..

I agree my friend, with his posture being submissive, I was referring more to his refusal to come off that carcass. The confusing part, for me, was if you read the text of the video, it explains that Styx cubs actually came and ate off the carcass, right beside HB. This interaction, between two legends, seems to go against so much of what we would expect during such an encounter.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-08-2020, 09:37 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 09:14 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 08:46 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: One of the Birmingham males #1 'Nsuku/Blondie' is in horrible condition,sadly he died a few weeks later
MalaMala-Sabi Sands,October 2.,2019.
Image credits to:J.Caylor

*This image is copyright of its original author

With all of the recent discussion about Hairy Belly, and as follow up to this picture of an injured Nsuku. In better days, here is a video showing Hairy Belly stealing a buffalo kill from Nsuku and the Styx Pride. One of the most confusing videos I have seen, as Nsuku and Hairy Belly are within inches of each other, making a lot of noise, but only once throwing a couple of half-hearted swipes at each other. One of the comical aspects of the video is how Hairy Belly out right refuses to show Nsuku any respect, and with Nsuku really close to him, he simply goes on about his business of eating Nsuku's buffalo.

I would say nobody won. HB was submissive, yes but in the end he stayed at that carcass and Nsuku wasn’t willing to risk a fight for some reason. Maybe he wasn’t hungry enough, maybe he accepted the submission so it wasnt necessary to go further, who knows. It’s everything speculation why he was holding back.

As far as the interaction itself, I agree Tino, there were no winners, or any losers imo. But, all told, given that he ended up with the carcass, I believe HB ultimately won the day with his refusal to give ground in that regard. The Styx cubs feeding right beside HB, as mentioned in the text, is the most confounding thing. It was a strange moment, for sure, and I'm just glad I got to see it in video.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-08-2020, 09:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 08:46 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: One of the Birmingham males #1 'Nsuku/Blondie' is in horrible condition,sadly he died a few weeks later

With all of the recent discussion about Hairy Belly, and as follow up to this picture of an injured Nsuku. In better days, here is a video showing Hairy Belly stealing a buffalo kill from Nsuku and the Styx Pride. One of the most confusing videos I have seen, as Nsuku and Hairy Belly are within inches of each other, making a lot of noise, but only once throwing a couple of half-hearted swipes at each other. One of the comical aspects of the video is how Hairy Belly out right refuses to show Nsuku any respect, and with Nsuku really close to him, he simply goes on about his business of eating Nsuku's buffalo.

I would say nobody won. HB was submissive, yes but in the end he stayed at that carcass and Nsuku wasn’t willing to risk a fight for some reason. Maybe he wasn’t hungry enough, maybe he accepted the submission so it wasnt necessary to go further, who knows. It’s everything speculation why he was holding back.

As far as the interaction itself, I agree Tino, there were no winners, or any losers imo. But, all told, given that he ended up with the carcass, I believe HB ultimately won the day with his refusal to give ground in that regard. The Styx cubs feeding right beside HB, as mentioned in the text, is the most confounding thing. It was a strange moment, for sure, and I'm just glad I got to see it in video.

Totally agree.

Despite there wasn't any kind of physical contact HB won that day because he after all stay with the buffalo.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

An incredible looking of this Birmingham/Gowrie male when still were four members and dominants on the Northern area of the SS.
Sabi Sand GR,August 2017
credit: Villiers Steyn, At Close Quarters

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of the Gowrie/Birmingham males #2 'Nhenha' still with his teeth intact for being almost 11 years old isn't so bad
MalaMala GR,October 2020
credit: Sandeep Engineer

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Gowrie Male #2 on the lookout of something in the distance!
MalaMala GR,October 2020
credit: Sabi Sands Lodges

5 users Like Timbavati's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

The Birminghams are already almost 11?! Nhena really doesn't look it at all. I started following lion dynamics closely when they took over the Nkuhumas, how time flies.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-09-2020, 12:32 AM)sik94 Wrote: The Birminghams are already almost 11?! Nhena really doesn't look it at all. I started following lion dynamics closely when they took over the Nkuhumas, how time flies.

Exactly,they're almost 11 years old (born in 2010). I heard first time of lions with the documentary of Tyson and Scar,However,I didn't joined to any kind of group during those times
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-09-2020, 12:58 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-09-2020, 12:32 AM)sik94 Wrote: The Birminghams are already almost 11?! Nhena really doesn't look it at all. I started following lion dynamics closely when they took over the Nkuhumas, how time flies.

Exact birth dates are unknown, i think that only Nsuku is born in 2010, and the rest in 2011..
Nhenha is still looking like a prime lion..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(10-09-2020, 12:54 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Exact birth dates are unknown, i think that only Nsuku is born in 2010, and the rest in 2011..
Nhenha is still looking like a prime lion..

Nsuku was just a few months older than the rest of the BBoys.
Most likely that they have born almost on the same time also the one who's most likely born in 2011 is Scrapper rather Nhenha

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

4 of the 5 Birmingham boys at Simbambili Game Lodge 
Sabi Sand GR,November 2014
credit: Liam Rainier

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

TBT - Scrapper of the Birmingham coalition at Manyeleti Game Reserve
credit: Darren-Roberts York
Manyeleti (July 2014)

5 users Like Timbavati's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(10-08-2020, 10:29 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 09:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Totally agree.

Despite there wasn't any kind of physical contact HB won that day because he after all stay with the buffalo.

I still agree that nobody won or lost. At the end of the day Nsuku had his fill as much as HB. HB was definitely submissive, all signs of Submission are there. You also see at one point, HB got excited and lifted up and Nsuku smacks him knocking him back into submission. I don't think HB was in any condition to fight a prime male and Nsuku didn't want to risk injury so they both just let it go but you can see how aware of his surroundings Nsuku is. He is making sure its just HB and not more threats around. I myself believe it was a moment of respect between the 2. Because Nsuku could have called Nhenha or the others who might have been close by and they could have easily killed an injured lion like HB. Nhenha and Mfumo even chased HB and Ginger at the start of 2017 at Cheetah Plains.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

We can only speculate as to what the exact ages of the Birminghams are. For all we know Nhenha and Tinyo were born in late 2010 to early 2011 so technically they could be 9 only turning 10 next year or the end of this year. Someone once said Nsuku was at least 6 months older than the other 4 and the Old Birminghams took over the Birmingham Pride at around early 2010. So the other 4 had to be born at least late 2010 which would mean Nhenha and Tinyo are either only turning 10 now or are not even there yet. It's all speculation.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post