There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

James Souchon watches one of the Birmingham males walk by, trailing the Ntsevu pride. The lions had already eaten when we found them before sunup (note the male’s full belly), but continued moving well into the morning, staying on the trail of a herd of buffalo. They ended up bumping into the Othaawa male who had killed a buffalo calf, and he was promptly run off the reserve by the Birmingham males.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Throwback around 2017 or so. When the Birmingham male lions used to be a force to be reckoned with in Djuma Private Game Reserve,Sabi Sands. South Africa!.

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Close up with 1/2 Undisputed Kings of MalaMala and Londolozi in the  Sabi Sands Game Reserve

239Pu Offline

Nsuku had the best roar I've ever heard . so impressive him standing his ground against the elephants too

best roar
6 users Like 239Pu's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(05-31-2020, 12:38 AM)239Pu Wrote:

Nsuku had the best roar I've ever heard . so impressive him standing his ground against the elephants too

best roar

He was one of the most beautiful lions which I had the opportunity to follow via Social Media. R.I.P Blondie/Nsuku #1

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One the Birmingham males on a morning patrol at Londolozi Game Reserve. Usually lions and other big cats will give some indication when they are about to get up and move, either yawning or grooming themselves. Not this guy, he just popped right up and started going.
Credit: Dan DeHerder

Sabi Sand,Posted: June 2020

8 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Ntsevu Pride and two Birmingham males drink at a beautiful waterhole in the open grasslands. They all had quite a bit of blood on them suggesting that they had been feeding on something during the night or early morning.
Credit: James Souchon.
Sabi Sand,June 2020

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Tinyo had an fight with unknown lions in Umkumbe :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBIXFcrjhSj/..._copy_link

He was seen today on MalaMala live, so hes okay.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(06-07-2020, 10:49 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Tinyo had an fight with unknown lions in Umkumbe :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBIXFcrjhSj/..._copy_link

He was seen today on MalaMala live, so hes okay.
Which group could possibly be roaring in that area? NWas? I am assuming "lions" would exclude the Othawa.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-07-2020, 11:09 PM)Matimbalani Wrote: Which group could possibly be roaring in that area? NWas? I am assuming "lions" would exclude the Othawa.

It might be one of those two, aswell as some nomadic young males like 2 Plains Camp males and Nkuhuma and Styx (MalaMala rangers said he was seen in MalaMala few days ago, prob with Nkuhuma), both of those 2 nomadic coalitions are reported to be vocalizating and contact calling..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(06-07-2020, 11:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-07-2020, 11:09 PM)Matimbalani Wrote: Which group could possibly be roaring in that area? NWas? I am assuming "lions" would exclude the Othawa.

It might be one of those two, aswell as some nomadic young males like 2 Plains Camp males and Nkuhuma and Styx (MalaMala rangers said he was seen in MalaMala few days ago, prob with Nkuhuma), both of those 2 nomadic coalitions are reported to be vocalizating and contact calling..

@Tr1x24 Well, in that case those young boys are asking for a spanking. I didn't think they would be confident enough to roar in what I am assuming is an unfamiliar area for them.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-08-2020, 12:28 AM)Matimbalani Wrote: @Tr1x24 Well, in that case those young boys are asking for a spanking. I didn't think they would be confident enough to roar in what I am assuming is an unfamiliar area for them

They certaintly wont full out roaring on unfamiliar area, but they do contact calls,which also can be heard to few km.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Throwback

5 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Bboys at Simbambili in 2015:

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Italy Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Kevin Richardson: " This breathtaking male lion is in a coalition of 2, known as the ‘Gowrie’ males or the ‘Birmingham’ males depending on who you ask. I don’t think they really care what they are called. I had the absolute privilege of spending the entire day with the pride of 22 members as they attempted to hunt throughout the day without success. Lions are not the most successful hunters and only around 1 in 5 attempts results in a kill. This certainly proved accurate in the case of this pride. Nevertheless this day will be indelibly etched in my mind forever. Stay tuned to #lionwhisperertv on YouTube for the episode covering our incredible stay @malamalagamereserve covering the impacts of #covid19 on ecotourism and more. Special thanks to @rangernicnel for putting up with us during our stay, @samdavies_wildlife for her wonderful camerawork and putting up with our corny jokes and last but not least @camscott_wild for making the whole project happen ???? ???? "

7 users Like Spalea's post