There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Slayerd Offline

(12-20-2019, 06:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:36 PM)Potato Wrote: Every healty male lion look like that. That is how nature has designed the. Nsuku definitelly wasn't particularly big lion.

BBoys are average size lions, but they where very impressive and bulky in their early ages when they come in SS, for example N. Avocas where nowhere near that impressive when they come..

For me Bboys are ones of the most beautiful lions, i cant wait too see their sons fully grown up (if they make it).

Nhenha and Mfumo are not average male lions. And neither are the Birminghams, their height is what is average, not their overall size. Nsuku and Tinyo are very short but have alot of bulk. Birminghams are extremely bulky male lions. I've seen them in person and they are more muscular than the Mantimahle males. Nhenha is also very tall when he stands up straight. Rasta of the Mapogo was also an average heighted male lion but he even bested the massive Makhulu. Mr T was a tall lion like the Avoca and Othawa and so was Dark Mane Majingilane. Birminghams are tanks with big bulk but their height is not as impressive.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

What lions have you seen on live beside Birminghams?

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-25-2019, 11:53 PM)Slayerd Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 02:36 PM)Potato Wrote: Every healty male lion look like that. That is how nature has designed the. Nsuku definitelly wasn't particularly big lion.

BBoys are average size lions, but they where very impressive and bulky in their early ages when they come in SS, for example N. Avocas where nowhere near that impressive when they come..

For me Bboys are ones of the most beautiful lions, i cant wait too see their sons fully grown up (if they make it).

Nhenha and Mfumo are not average male lions. And neither are the Birminghams, their height is what is average, not their overall size. Nsuku and Tinyo are very short but have alot of bulk. Birminghams are extremely bulky male lions. I've seen them in person and they are more muscular than the Mantimahle males. Nhenha is also very tall when he stands up straight. Rasta of the Mapogo was also an average heighted male lion but he even bested the massive Makhulu. Mr T was a tall lion like the Avoca and Othawa and so was Dark Mane Majingilane. Birminghams are tanks with big bulk but their height is not as impressive.

Nhena and Mfumo are bigger than average I'd say. They are not the tallest lions but have good heights, they are more bulky compared to the Avocas. Nsuku and Tinyo are short but Nsuku is more stocky and muscular while Tinyo is an overall small lion. I do disagree that the Mantimahle are not as muscular as the Bboys, Mantimahle are some of the tallest lions and also very muscular, just bigger lions. Mr T was a tallish lion but with average muscle mass, Kinky tail was very stocky though.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-26-2019, 12:59 PM by Shadow )

Nice to have someone local here, who have seen these lions. Naturally South-Africa is a big country, but do you live near Kruger National Park? Or visiting there time to time?

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-25-2019, 11:53 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Nhenha and Mfumo are not average male lions. And neither are the Birminghams, their height is what is average, not their overall size. Nsuku and Tinyo are very short but have alot of bulk. Birminghams are extremely bulky male lions. I've seen them in person and they are more muscular than the Mantimahle males. Nhenha is also very tall when he stands up straight. Rasta of the Mapogo was also an average heighted male lion but he even bested the massive Makhulu. Mr T was a tall lion like the Avoca and Othawa and so was Dark Mane Majingilane. Birminghams are tanks with big bulk but their height is not as impressive.

I meant average for their height, i agree that they are/where one of the bulkiest/muscular lions out there.

As you said, when we compare sizes of lions we need to take 2 parameters into equation, height and their bulkines/muscularity, as some lion are taller but not that bulky, others smaller but more bulkier. 

Overall its hard to compare sizes of different lions of which we never see them together. 

Word is that 2 Leeubron males are one of the biggest lions in Kruger, for me 4 Shishangeni males are massive beasts, also some males around Satara/Singita are big, like Nsemani males. 

Here are some pics of Shishangeni males, adult lionesses are looking like a sub-adults around them:

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Slayerd Offline

(12-26-2019, 06:54 AM)sik94 Wrote:

Nhena and Mfumo are bigger than average I'd say. They are not the tallest lions but have good heights, they are more bulky compared to the Avocas. Nsuku and Tinyo are short but Nsuku is more stocky and muscular while Tinyo is an overall small lion. I do disagree that the Mantimahle are not as muscular as the Bboys, Mantimahle are some of the tallest lions and also very muscular, just bigger lions. Mr T was a tallish lion but with average muscle mass, Kinky tail was very stocky though.
Ive seen many. I dont live near or at the Kruger but travel there twice a year every year for the past 10 years or so. My Uncle is a ranger and I have travelled to many different parts. Near or around Sabi, I've seen one Mapogo though I was young and do not remember well who he was in 2010(My uncle has only told me some stories) ,Majingilane, Matimba,Birmingham, Mantimahle and one kruger coalition whose names I do not know. The Mantimahle are huge males but the Birminghams looked Bulkier and more muscular especially from the front. Tinyo is very Bulky in the front. His paws and shoulders are extremely wide. Nsuku was Bulky all round. Nhenha was just outright huge to me. Not the tallest Lion Ive seen but his Length was the size of more than half the Jeep we were in. He had a full stomach but you could tell how lean he was. No shred of fat on him. I've never seen Mfumo in person but the guide said he was the second most impressive after Nhenha.
5 users Like Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

What do you think about other mentioned by you lions in term of size (Matimbas, Majingilanes and that single Mapogo)?

Slayerd Offline

(12-27-2019, 12:40 AM)Potato Wrote: What do you think about other mentioned by you lions in term of size (Matimbas, Majingilanes and that single Mapogo)?

Can't remember the Mapogo, wasn't paying attention to size. I just thought he looked cool and badass. HB Matimbas is huge but he is the opposite of Nhenha, he looked like a bear. He wasn't a lean lion. Muscle or fat, I dont but he definitely looked fat. Ginger was taller and leaner and his teeth were crazy large. 
Majingilane were very tall and had alot of muscle but not that bulky or built. Scarnose had an impressive front. He had muscular shoulders. Dark mane had very long legs. Couldn't tell the difference between hip scar and Golden Mane but one was relatively smaller than the rest so I presume it is him as I've heard he is the smallest.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

We known Bboys around 5-6 year, and i never seen this males in bad condition. Mfumo and Nhenha are/was bigger than averege size male. I think this coalition are one of the best in kruger in many thing. (Good at hunt, sired many cubs, great fathers and so many action we have in safarilive in 2015-2017)

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

what you think guys about Mfumo? what could happend?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"hip scar and Golden Mane but one was relatively smaller than the rest so I presume it is him as I've heard he is the smallest"

I bet that was Hip Scar after his condition started to deteriorate. At what year have you seen them?

Slayerd Offline

(12-27-2019, 03:45 AM)239Pu Wrote: none of the Majingilane look big to me . here's a snap of Dark Mane with a female he barely looks bigger than her

Yeah not very big but had muscles and were tall and lean. Not built or bulky.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-27-2019, 03:45 AM)239Pu Wrote: none of the Majingilane look big to me . here's a snap of Dark Mane with a female he barely looks bigger than her

If you look at the 4 Majingilanes together, Dark Mane with Hip Scar where the smaller , Scar Nose and Golden Mane where bigger then them in height and body lenght. I dont know why people are saying that Golden Mane was one of the smallest, thats not true, you can barely tell the size difference between him and the biggest Scar Nose. 

5th Majingilane was the biggest of them all, he would be a monster in his prime years.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

To my eye all Majingilanes were about same size (as long as Hip Scar was in good condition).
1 user Likes Potato's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

SN was probably close to Mfumo in size. Hipscar was a little smaller and was quite impressive in the early days, around 2011. Three tooth was to me third in terms of size, to me he was the definition of an average looking lion. DM was small but he was just another breed of lion compared to the other 3, he was very muscular and his darkish-skintone told me he was physically probably the toughest lion in SS.
1 user Likes sik94's post