There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 01:52 PM by BigLion39 Edit Reason: Spelling )

(08-03-2022, 07:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Very strange behavior, for sure. Two young males have two older males submitting to them. Video says younger males are 2 and 3, and older males are 8 and 9. Now, I will say if that youngest male is 2 years old, he may well be the most mature looking 2 year old I have ever seen. I don't know who these males are, but it certainly isn't something you see every day. The young males seem to act like they have no idea what to do (the likely don't), just like Kijana did with Fang, but at least in the Kijana instance he had Olalashe with him.

This video goes together, or its another person that video'd the interaction where Rob the Ranger video'd 4 nomad lions(2 sets of brothers) on a Buffalo kill together. 
The young ones are Encoyanai boys Chumvi and Pillilipili, 4 yr old sons of Romeo2 and Mohican (before Lolparpit and Olbarnoti beat these 2 out again for the Encoyani pride) . These 2 young boys were bullying the Ex Sand River males Buddha and Slaver (fathers of Salas Boys). Later on Rob the Ranger would film an awesome video of the 4 sharing that buffalo.

Here is the video of the 4 sharing the buffalo together.

https://youtu.be/WsRqXw3GSpg
6 users Like BigLion39's post

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

The video mentioned by @BigLion39 :

7 users Like Spalea's post

BigLion39 Offline

^^^ thanks Spalea!
3 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

BA0701.....

Check out both Fang and Shortail! Look how huge Shortail was! 1 of their sons is seen a lot in the company of 1 of the Marsh young boys (son of Bila Shaka) as a coalition of 2. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

Here is the Kitchwa males young son, he has been hanging with 1 of the 2 Marsh Boys (the other went missing in the Triangle) and formed a coalition. I think he looks like Snip Tail! 

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like BigLion39's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-04-2022, 06:20 PM by BA0701 )

(08-04-2022, 01:47 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(08-03-2022, 07:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Very strange behavior, for sure. Two young males have two older males submitting to them. Video says younger males are 2 and 3, and older males are 8 and 9. Now, I will say if that youngest male is 2 years old, he may well be the most mature looking 2 year old I have ever seen. I don't know who these males are, but it certainly isn't something you see every day. The young males seem to act like they have no idea what to do (the likely don't), just like Kijana did with Fang, but at least in the Kijana instance he had Olalashe with him.

This video goes together, or its another person that video'd the interaction where Rob the Ranger video'd 4 nomad lions(2 sets of brothers) on a Buffalo kill together. 
The young ones are Encoyanai boys Chumvi and Pillilipili, 4 yr old sons of Romeo2 and Mohican (before Lolparpit and Olbarnoti beat these 2 out again for the Encoyani pride) . These 2 young boys were bullying the Ex Sand River males Buddha and Slaver (fathers of Salas Boys). Later on Rob the Ranger would film an awesome video of the 4 sharing that buffalo.

Here is the video of the 4 sharing the buffalo together.

https://youtu.be/WsRqXw3GSpg

@Tr1x24 nailed it, both in age and the fact that they were two sets of nomads. That is really good stuff, thank you @BigLion39! I assume those 4 didn't have much to do with each other after the buffalo, whatever became of them? Those hyena are either really brave or really dumb, not sure which.Thanks @Spalea for posting the video!

Wow, Shortail was enormous, but Fang was no slouch as well. They do grow them big in the Mara, and some incredible manes, only second to Crater lions in that regard.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@BigLion39 :

About #2434: You're wellcome, no problem !

If you want some explanations: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-how-to-...s-in-posts
5 users Like Spalea's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-05-2022, 08:02 AM by afortich )

Need to wait King!!

4 users Like afortich's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 03:22 AM by afortich )

Prideland youngster

3 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

Youngster having a nice breakfast!!

4 users Like afortich's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-07-2022, 11:47 AM by BigLion39 Edit Reason: Spelling )

So the HWC (human wildlife contact) is much worse than i ever thought in the Mara and its conservancies including Tanzania's Serenghetti. 

As far as the Mara there are actual settlements in the Reserve. For example the areas of Ololoolo, Lookout, Maja Ya Fisi, Olkiombo (Fig Tree), Sopa, and possibly even Black Rock area.  These are Massai cattle ranchers. They graze their cattle throughout the Mara. This isn't even considering the Conservancies like Lemek, Enonkishu, Olchorro, etc.... If you look how small some prides are for so long thats why, for example the only 1 or 2 small prides in Lemek. 

Now not to mention when the Massai children turn, I think 15, and get circumcised, they have to go out and kill/hunt a lion. Its a tradition. Also they use the mane as a headress in some ceremonies like weddings, etc...  There is no such settlement in Topi pride territory, Rekero, and Paradise territory as you can see the size of the pride and the males live without bother from humans there. The famous Marsh have cattle settlements there; Logol and 2 lionesses took 2 cattle a few months ago. It was shown on FB. 

As for the cattle a lot of the guides and Rangers own them in these areas. The cattle owners are hired as Rangers, guides, trackers so they can learn new ways to see these animals as sources of income instead of killing them. 

So most resecnt is Olekiti and Olerai( the biggest lion in the Mara and most gorgeous and impressive). There are cattle in Acatia Pride Territory. Thats why the 4 Ex Offbeat boys came into Acatia Pride territory and then abandoned the pride. Oelkiti and Olerai were missing already. Now Halftail and Logol are moving in. 

Since covid bullcrap the populations of people and cattle have grown. Now we understand the majority of lions missing and killed are not from other lions but humans. 

Maradadi, Olerai, Olekiti, Notch2, 2 Tears, Floppy Ear, Lipstick2, Black Rocker brother Oloisiado, Frank.... these are just some famous rescent lions to disappear. We have to question this every time we hear another lion go missing.

Same in Serenghetti and I learned there is a settlement right next to here owned by the Saudis (i forget the name).  So who's to say they don't have excursions into Serenghetti to get their lions the ricrich people own and show in videos.

I was told not to talk about this or ask questions on social media. The members and others do not accept this or just won't admit it or talk about it. I think this is bull crap. Its a terrible feeling sitting here in the U.S. and not being able to help or do anything about this situation and then wake up one morning only to read another beautiful male lion disappears or a whole pride, like most rescently Oloololo pride, is killed.
5 users Like BigLion39's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-07-2022, 11:43 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: So the HWC (human wildlife contact) is much worse than i ever thought in the Mara and its conservancies including Tanzania's Serenghetti. 

As far as the Mara there are actual settlements in the Reserve. For example the areas of Ololoolo, Lookout, Maja Ya Fisi, Olkiombo (Fig Tree), Sopa, and possibly even Black Rock area.  These are Massai cattle ranchers. They graze their cattle throughout the Mara. This isn't even considering the Conservancies like Lemek, Enonkishu, Olchorro, etc.... If you look how small some prides are for so long thats why,  for example the only 1 or 2 small prides in Lemek. 

Now not to mention when the Massai children turn, I think 15, and get circumcised, they have to go out and kill/hunt a lion. Its a tradition. Also they use the mane as a headress in some ceremonies like weddings, etc...  There is no such settlement in Topi pride territory, Rekero, and Paradise territory as you can see the size of the pride and the males live without bother from humans there. The famous Marsh have cattle settlements there; Logol and 2 lionesses took 2 cattle a few months ago. It was shown on FB. 

As for the cattle a lot of the guides and Rangers own them in these areas. The cattle owners are hired as Rangers, guides, trackers so they can learn new ways to see these animals as sources of income instead of killing them. 

So most resecnt is Olekiti and Olerai( the biggest lion in the Mara and most gorgeous and impressive). There are cattle in Acatia Pride Territory. Thats why the 4 Ex Offbeat boys came into Acatia Pride territory and then abandoned the pride. Oelkiti and Olerai were missing already. Now Halftail and Logol are moving in. 

Since covid bullcrap the populations of people and cattle have grown. Now we understand the majority of lions missing and killed are not from other lions but humans. 

Maradadi, Olerai, Olekiti, Notch2, 2 Tears, Floppy Ear, Lipstick2, Black Rocker brother Oloisiado, Frank.... these are just some famous rescent lions to disappear. We have to question this every time we hear another lion go missing.

Same in Serenghetti and I learned there is a settlement right next to here owned by the Saudis (i forget the name).  So who's to say they don't have excursions into Serenghetti to get their lions the ricrich people own and show in videos.

I was told not to talk about this or ask questions on social media. The members and others do not accept this or just won't admit it or talk about it. I think this is bull crap.  Its a terrible feeling sitting here in the U.S. and not being able to help or do anything about this situation and then wake up one morning only to read another beautiful male lion disappears or a whole pride,  like most rescently Oloololo pride, is killed.

My friend, that is not HWC, that is flat out poaching, and sickening. It really is on the conservancies to fix the problem, that and the state. As I mentioned earlier, it is incumbent that they create a value that the lions represent to these people. I saw a documentary that showed them doing exactly that, and they taught some of the tribes (don't know if it is in the Mara or where) that the lions meant more to them alive, by giving them money to track the lions, and to report what they see, and where they see it. They then get paid for their efforts. I read the same exact thing has happened in the Marshes where they filmed Savage Kingdom.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

@BigLion39 

This is some rather disappointing news to read,didn't know it was that bad hope it changes for the better.
3 users Like Lycaon's post

United States BorntobeWild Online
( This post was last modified: 08-08-2022, 09:36 AM by BorntobeWild )

(08-07-2022, 11:43 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: So the HWC (human wildlife contact) is much worse than i ever thought in the Mara and its conservancies including Tanzania's Serenghetti. 

As far as the Mara there are actual settlements in the Reserve. For example the areas of Ololoolo, Lookout, Maja Ya Fisi, Olkiombo (Fig Tree), Sopa, and possibly even Black Rock area.  These are Massai cattle ranchers. They graze their cattle throughout the Mara. This isn't even considering the Conservancies like Lemek, Enonkishu, Olchorro, etc.... If you look how small some prides are for so long thats why,  for example the only 1 or 2 small prides in Lemek. 

I was told not to talk about this or ask questions on social media. The members and others do not accept this or just won't admit it or talk about it. I think this is bull crap.  Its a terrible feeling sitting here in the U.S. and not being able to help or do anything about this situation and then wake up one morning only to read another beautiful male lion disappears or a whole pride,  like most rescently Oloololo pride, is killed.

I hate to say it, believe or not, people who involve those dirty things will be judged, either them or their later generations are gonna pay the prices,  just a matter of time. It is not superstition, just the way it is.
3 users Like BorntobeWild's post

BigLion39 Offline

(08-08-2022, 06:43 AM)Lycaon Wrote: This is some rather disappointing news to read,didn't know it was that bad hope it changes for the better.

I agree. I was so deflated when the extent of how bad it actually is was explained to me. I still have this terrible feeling in my gut. The govt is gonna have to step in. They never set out to give the Massai people and the animals enough land in the beginning. Then there was the colonialism who just decided to take a bunch of land as well. It is a cluster-fuk of a situation. Now the famous Cheetah, Leboo, of the once mighty Tano Bora coalition, was confirmed speared to death. 2 left now. Makes me sick.
5 users Like BigLion39's post