There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Ngonya Offline

Mighty young Black Rock boys
Kijana and Olchore, both looking more impressive by each passing day.

Kijana resembles alot Lorkulop, very dark mane he has.
5 users Like Ngonya's post

Mwk85 Offline

New guys in town 

2 users Like Mwk85's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-05-2024, 08:13 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: New guys in town 

I don't know what it is about the Mara, but they sure do grow their coalitions big. As a result, I am not aware of any solo males who control prides, certainly not any who started out alone as well.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States adamstocks16 Offline

@BA0701 the only one that comes to mind currently is Orkirikoi, son of Bila Shaka Males who dominates Survey Pride. Although as you pointed out he didn’t start out alone and previously had his partner Oloborani.
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-06-2024, 05:14 AM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Fixed spelling error )

Speaking of Orkirokoi, here he is with his cubs.

2 users Like Mwk85's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

(09-06-2024, 05:09 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Speaking of Orkirokoi, here he is with his cubs.

Considering he's a young father but If this big boy can stay in power and help raise a few of his sons to around 3yrs before getting ousted with them then he may be the 2nd coming of notch. One can only hope
3 users Like Robot00's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-06-2024, 05:09 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Speaking of Orkirokoi, here he is with his cubs.

One tough son of a gun, he would have to be, to be a lone dominant male in the Mara, every direction he looks, there will be a 5 male coalition conspiring to take what he has, down there.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2024, 11:22 AM by BigLion39 )

Speaking of the 3 young Molibany boys, their fathers were seen healthy as ever after going MIA for several weeks. 4 Lemek boys seen back in OMC and these 2 appeared in Naboisho. Im so happy to see them and see theyre looking so good still! It is also thought they had altercation with atleast 1/4 Lemek Boys as both have slight injuries consistant with fighting. I wonder what the future holds for the Molibany pride?

Thank you to guide Daniel Lemurt for the images!

*This image is copyright of its original author

Edit to add:

I heard during the time the 2 Koka Boys vanished they tried to take the Ilkisiusiu pride from MYF Boys Limper and Bulley. They weren't successful so now they're basically nomads.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2024, 09:48 AM by KM600 )

I just want to say this is still a conspiracy, nothing is yet confirmed by any means, however I wanted to comment on this and voice my opinion anyways. First thing is the area of where this taken place, we all know how common it is for lions to be speared in this area, even months ago both lionesses that were spotted with Olobor and Oloshipa were speared to death, and Olobor was said to have been in the area atleast one of those times. Lucky escape for him which didn’t matter as they ended up catching him later.

Now the second thing is the type of injury she received, imagining the type of wound they’re describing makes sense for it to only be via a horn or spear, lions rip apart when they feed which stretches both the carcass and the wound itself, they don’t penetrate a single wound deeply.

Now the photo I originally seen from Tisha she was real bloated, and it seems it was taken most likely on the day of her death as in the report it’s stated she was ‘NOT pregnant,’ well she couldn’t be being she was 3 years old anyways. I’ve found that when lions are badly injured, they don’t feed anywhere near as much as they would being 100% healthy and certainly not to the point they look pregnant. This is prolly cos their body is more focused on fighting the issue at hand. Now in order to sustain an injury from a horn, I would guess she would have to be injured during feeding or while hunting again which would make little sense given how full she was but such things have happened before, if the opportunity arrives lions will hunt again even after immediately eating. I’m not sure this is the case here tho..
2 users Like KM600's post

BigLion39 Offline

Olobor case update from a few days ago. Thanks to Luis Franco Jr and David Kipruto and their team for all their tremendous efforts. Its the best the animals and us get as the courts refused to take criminal action.

5 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

(09-08-2024, 09:45 AM)KM600 Wrote: I just want to say this is still a conspiracy, nothing is yet confirmed by any means, however I wanted to comment on this and voice my opinion anyways. First thing is the area of where this taken place, we all know how common it is for lions to be speared in this area, even months ago both lionesses that were spotted with Olobor and Oloshipa were speared to death, and Olobor was said to have been in the area atleast one of those times. Lucky escape for him which didn’t matter as they ended up catching him later.

Now the second thing is the type of injury she received, imagining the type of wound they’re describing makes sense for it to only be via a horn or spear, lions rip apart when they feed which stretches both the carcass and the wound itself, they don’t penetrate a single wound deeply.

Now the photo I originally seen from Tisha she was real bloated, and it seems it was taken most likely on the day of her death as in the report it’s stated she was ‘NOT pregnant,’ well she couldn’t be being she was 3 years old anyways. I’ve found that when lions are badly injured, they don’t feed anywhere near as much as they would being 100% healthy and certainly not to the point they look pregnant. This is prolly cos their body is more focused on fighting the issue at hand. Now in order to sustain an injury from a horn, I would guess she would have to be injured during feeding or while hunting again which would make little sense given how full she was but such things have happened before, if the opportunity arrives lions will hunt again even after immediately eating. I’m not sure this is the case here tho..

MPCP posted their update and confirmed she was caught by other lions in a territorial dispute.  

Myself, i believe MPCP has lost credibility over the years. I have personally read comments saying they try to keep HWC quiet as well as ive personally, with my own eyes, read comments by famous Guides/Lodge Owners saying the same thing.  So take that with a grain of salt.
 I didnt see or study the pics of Tisha very well to come to a conclusion 1 way or another i just wanted  to point that out about MPCP, and others over there with a monetary interest.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

(09-08-2024, 11:29 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Olobor case update from a few days ago. Thanks to Luis Franco Jr and David Kipruto and their team for all their tremendous efforts. Its the best the animals and us get as the courts refused to take criminal action.

It definitely could and should have ended with a more permanent solution, but still good news regardless and like u said prolly the best we could receive. Fair play to Luis too, spoken to him only briefly once and he seemed cool but I was a lil skeptical about the work going into the case with all the money that was being raised. Nice to know good ppl still exist.
3 users Like KM600's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

At least this is something, I guess.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(09-08-2024, 11:29 AM)BigLion39 Wrote: Olobor case update from a few days ago. Thanks to Luis Franco Jr and David Kipruto and their team for all their tremendous efforts. Its the best the animals and us get as the courts refused to take criminal action.

While, this is tremendously good news, I thought such protections already existed for the big cats, in the same way it is illegal to permit your domestic herds to graze within the conservancy, as well. I hope they enforce these new laws strictly, and that there are strict penalties for breaking them. Happy days!
2 users Like BA0701's post

( This post was last modified: 09-08-2024, 09:30 PM by KM600 )

(09-08-2024, 08:17 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

While, this is tremendously good news, I thought such protections already existed for the big cats, in the same way it is illegal to permit your domestic herds to graze within the conservancy, as well. I hope they enforce these new laws strictly, and that there are strict penalties for breaking them. Happy days!

I think it just means rangers have more power to do what is necessary. As far as I understand, these farmers / tribesmen very much dictate the power rn, I mean they go out of their way to kill lions as revenge for their cattle dying eventho it was their actions which led to that altercation in the first place. And as we’ve seen, nothing happens to them even while knowing it’s very much illegal. I’d hope they’re allowed to put up a stronger force whether it be chasing the same ppl out for illegal grazing or hunting lions and if none of that works, they have a license to shoot to kill, which I seriously doubt they will have but atleast to me seems necessary. 

Judging by the statement about the protection ‘almost being to the protection of rhinos’ means they prolly wont have access to shoot to kill but can put up a stronger force against these same ppl. Like I think u were starting to hint at tho, this is very dependant on how far they’re willing to take this, because we all know it’s only gonna be sooner or later before another lion is poached, may have already happened since that statement so let’s see how serious they really are.
3 users Like KM600's post