There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Othawa Pride

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The longer they survive. The more skill they will build and the better their survival.

There also isnt much reason to kill them without a pride of adult lionesses to take. At one point they will be seen as a pride of young lionesses in their own right. Not good for mating perhaps. But still an easy source of food.

Keep in mind that leopards also survive just fine.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Leopards are adapted to climb trees and hide from lions and hyenas, they evolved to do just that. If subadult lions were anywhere near as good as adult leopards they'd rarely get killed by other lions which is clearly not the case, their lifestyle and skills are completely different.

Birminghams killed the third subadult not too long ago and PCM won't be any nicer if they met, as long as they can't mate I doubt PCM or any dominant male will accept them. Plus Ximhungwe and Gingerella ( the latter chased them once ), and now the Nkuhuma pride. Too many lions and only 2 othawa subadults.

I hope I'm wrong but things don't look good.

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Skorro jr and Othawa subadults seen near Savanna
Credit: Savannah

*This image is copyright of its original author

13 users Like lionuk's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(01-12-2023, 03:32 PM)lionuk Wrote: Skorro jr and Othawa subadults seen near Savanna
Credit: Savannah

Western sector continues to astonish, simultaneously showing us the the best and worst of lion dynamics.
7 users Like BA0701's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

They seem to be keeping a uncomfortable distance. I think this is more a chance enounter than a actual union. But who knows what it may lead too.

With the Ximhungwes open for a takeover again. I think he rather will go back there though.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

1ofCourage Offline

Skorro Jr has not been there for anyone.
1 user Likes 1ofCourage's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-13-2023, 05:31 AM by Mapokser )

@Duco Ndona Wdym open for a takeover? Are the PCM back to Singita?

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@1ofCourage did anyone thought it could be any different? When did a male lion ever raised any cubs? They aren't born with these instincts. He held the ground even while outnumbered 2v1 for a bit, he did his job as he could, he is just not "programmed" to act and live like a lioness, raising cubs and whatnot.

To have confirmation he still remembers they are his daughters and isn't a threat to them is just about what we could optimistically expect.

Which also makes me doubt the claims he chased them with Ximhungwe and Gingerella, or at least I think if it happened, he was trying to stop any confrontations, not attack his offspring.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I know he will probably leave them but it was great to see them with their father. They had a tab bit of protection with him being with them, but Skorro jr is probably the only lion that hasn’t tried to hurt them other than silver eyes sister who let them feed on her kill until the younger talamatis returned
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

More sightings of othawa and tumbela.

9 users Like DARK MANE's post

1ofCourage Offline

RRM had 4 to 1 at one point. Four Mbiris against he and his lionesses and 9 cubs.  He’d already lost one lioness and 8 of his original cubs, but he stayed, navigated them to safety and saved his treasures.

Mohawk is holding his own now too, or at least attempting to do it.

DM stayed when his brothers left, defended his pride for years from other males came and only left when his age and injury were too much.

If Skorro Jr was trying to stop Gingerella and the Xinhungwe lioness he did a lousy job, because even more attacks happened. He certainly didn’t try to dissuade Nhenha or the NK male one but.  Skorro Jr uses his strength to run away, not defend.

Sassy took on herself what could have killed the cubs. She knew what was going on. No need to drag them down with her.
1 user Likes 1ofCourage's post

United States LionLover84 Offline

(01-13-2023, 08:59 PM)1ofCourage Wrote: RRM had 4 to 1 at one point. Four Mbiris against he and his lionesses and 9 cubs.  He’d already lost one lioness and 8 of his original cubs, but he stayed, navigated them to safety and saved his treasures.

Mohawk is holding his own now too, or at least attempting to do it.

DM stayed when his brothers left, defended his pride for years from other males came and only left when his age and injury were too much.

If Skorro Jr was trying to stop Gingerella and the Xinhungwe lioness he did a lousy job, because even more attacks happened. He certainly didn’t try to dissuade Nhenha or the NK male one but.  Skorro Jr uses his strength to run away, not defend.

Sassy took on herself what could have killed the cubs. She knew what was going on. No need to drag them down with her.
Every lions situation is not the same. DM only had S8 male pressuring him, not two other coalitions. Skorro did the best he could after his brothers died. As far as stopping all attacks from the ximungwe’s… that would be impossible since he was not always with them. Sometimes pc males and sometimes the Birmingham males were with them. Him fighting a coalition of two would not benefit him or the othawas. He  certainly would be of no help badly injured or dead. 
As for Sassy, they aren’t even sure if she was in the right state of mind so her not looking for the cubs, I do not believe is because she “knew” she had something. 
If the BD males get serious, or any other coalition for that matter, I do not think Mohawk will fight willingly if he knows it means certain death. I don’t think anyone would blame him if he fled, so I do not blame skorro either.
1 user Likes LionLover84's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

(01-13-2023, 06:17 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: More sightings of othawa and tumbela.

This was reported that:

" Skorro Jr & his  girls finished off the buffalo this morning
Credit: Luka Moeller
January 13, 2023"

Great to know !!
6 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-13-2023, 11:06 PM by Mapokser )

@Ttimemarti it made me happy seeing them together but I'm not sure it's actually good if they were to live together, maybe visit sometimes but it's already a miracle they are feeding themselves at this age, if he were to eat their food they'd be in huge trouble.

He isn't a lioness so I doubt he would hunt to feed them and while he can defend them from hyenas, all subadults were killed by male lions and he can't defend them from PCM, maybe if they meet NK he then would be useful to have around. He also roars from time to time which can bring the PCM's attention to them. He probably would defend them from Ximhungwe and Gingerella but in this case would be better if he was with these 2 instead of his daughters because if PCM arrives he can ran and the females won't be in trouble, if the PCM attacks him while he is with his daughters, it'll be the end of it.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@BorntobeWild wait a buffalo? Did Skorro Jr killed it? What must have happened then was that they met him after he killed a buffalo? Or did he killed it after being with them? Because I was just talking about how he wouldn't be useful for hunting.

@1ofCourage Skorro Jr defeated Nhenha in a 1v1 fight as reported by rangers and later tracks showed him chasing both Nhenha and NK male. Western Sector is fenced and small, they had nowhere to go, only way out was through Singita, PCM's territory, he couldn't run away with them. When Sassy got close to Singita at some point the PCM killed some cubs.

Most males will leave as soon as they realize they are outnumbered or after the first clash, studies shows that lions will not reply or even get outright ousted when scientists would simulate roars from more lions than those from the local coalition. Skorro Jr did more than most would.
2 users Like Mapokser's post