There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - C - THE JAGUAR (Panthera onca)

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-25-2018, 04:13 AM by epaiva )

Jaguars fighting in El Pantanal, Brazil
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoH-jJMDgL-/...psc21cfcl8
5 users Like epaiva's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-25-2018, 04:11 AM)epaiva Wrote: Jaguars fighting in El Pantanal, Brazil

Amazing Capture

I have posted the video for you as well
5 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(09-25-2018, 04:29 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 04:11 AM)epaiva Wrote: Jaguars fighting in El Pantanal, Brazil

Amazing Capture

I have posted the video for you as well

@Pckts
Thanks a lot my Friend
1 user Likes epaiva's post

China Smilodon-Rex Offline

(09-23-2018, 05:16 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote:
(09-23-2018, 07:40 AM)Smilodon-Rex Wrote:

The modern jaguar in North America
@epaiva , @Pckts , @Shir Babr

With jaguars now in the USA, "North American jaguar" would make more sense than "Central American jaguar". Sometimes, even Mexico is not considered part of Central America: 

Map of Central America excluding Mexico by Worldatlashttps://www.worldatlas.com/articles/whic...erica.html 

*This image is copyright of its original author

The prehistoric north american jaguar(Panthera onca augusta)

5 users Like Smilodon-Rex's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-05-2018, 11:18 PM by epaiva )

Huge Jaguar hunted by Paul Stempel in boca del Caño de Agua Verde, close to Río Guariquito in Estado Guarico in 1945. This male measured 2,33 meters in total length including its tail and weighted 250 pounds (114 kilograms), attached picture of its skull largest in Venezuelan Collections measuring 31,25 centimeters long 22,50 centimeters wide.
Book Felinos de Venezuela 1992

6 users Like epaiva's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2018, 08:59 PM by GuateGojira )

Short note: Black jaguars in Guatemala

Somewhere I read that black jaguars do not exist in Central America, only in South America. However I found an article showing a captive black jaguar from Belize and that was good for me, for the moment.

Now, in my last trip to the "Zoologico La Aurora" from Guatemala, I took pictures of the black jaguar housed in the park:

I can tell you that this jaguar is a large one, it looks like if is no less than 150 cm in head body and very muscular, but is just my apreciation.

I also saw a little documentary about the department of Petén in the north of Guatemala, and they filmed a wild black jaguar. So there is enough evidence to prove that black jaguars do exist in the north of Guatemala and Belize, and probably also in the Calakmul region of Mexico, as these three regions are colindant to each other.
5 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

@epaiva, or any other poster, do you have this document: "Rabinowitz, A. 1986. Jaguar predation on domestic livestock in Belize"?

I only found the first page but I need the full document.

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

(11-25-2018, 11:37 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: @epaiva, or any other poster, do you have this document: "Rabinowitz, A. 1986. Jaguar predation on domestic livestock in Belize"?

I only found the first page but I need the full document.

See attached.
2 users Like tigerluver's post

Expert & Researcher

You are awesome! Thank you very much @tigerluver! Like
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

China Smilodon-Rex Offline

(11-19-2018, 08:58 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: Short note: Black jaguars in Guatemala

Somewhere I read that black jaguars do not exist in Central America, only in South America. However I found an article showing a captive black jaguar from Belize and that was good for me, for the moment.

Now, in my last trip to the "Zoologico La Aurora" from Guatemala, I took pictures of the black jaguar housed in the park:

I can tell you that this jaguar is a large one, it looks like if is no less than 150 cm in head body and very muscular, but is just my apreciation.

I also saw a little documentary about the department of Petén in the north of Guatemala, and they filmed a wild black jaguar. So there is enough evidence to prove that black jaguars do exist in the north of Guatemala and Belize, and probably also in the Calakmul region of Mexico, as these three regions are colindant to each other.
Nice photo Guate, however, I have seen many pictures that Jaguar looks smaller than we image, especially in Asian zoos

Expert & Researcher

(11-26-2018, 10:14 AM)Smilodon-Rex Wrote: Nice photo Guate, however, I have seen many pictures that Jaguar looks smaller than we image, especially in Asian zoos

In fact, the jaguars from Central America are small, just like an average leopard. The biggest jaguar weighed in Belize was of only 62.1 kg and the longest male measured 147 cm in head-body.

I have saw some pictures from jaguars in the north of Guatemala and they look slightly larger than those from Belize, but probably are of the same size. So a jaguar of about 150 cm in head-body is very large for a jaguar in this country, probably reached just by captive specimens.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-26-2018, 09:51 PM by epaiva )

Measurements of Male Jaguars from Belize (Central America) Book Jaguar - Alan Rabinowitz
- Adult male: head and body length excluding the tail 127 cent, length of the tail 51 cent, Height at the shoulders 46 cent, weight 57 kgs.
- Adult male: head and body length excluding the tail 130 cent, length of the tail 53 cent, Height at the shoulders 58 cent, weight 50 kgs.
- Adult male: head and body length excluding the tail 147 cent, length of the tail 53 cent, Height at the shoulders 53 cent, weight 53 kgs.
- Adult male young: head and body length excluding the tail 130 cent, length of the tail 53 cent, Height at the shoulders 43 cent, weight 39 kgs.
- Adult male: head and body length excluding the tail 122 cent, length of the tail 61 cent, Height at the shoulders 46 cent, weight 62 kgs.
- Adult male: head and body length excluding the tail 142 cent, length of the tail 61 cent, Height at the shoulders 58 cent, weight 57 kgs.
- Sub adult male: head and body length excluding the tail 122 cent, length of the tail 51 cent, Height at the shoulders 51 cent, weight 36 kgs.
3 users Like epaiva's post

Expert & Researcher

Good post @epaiva, in fact those are the measurements from the jaguars captures in Belize by the late Dr Alan Rabinowitz. 

Interesting the heaviest male (62.1 kg) was killed by a police man which hit him with his car. Angry

It is sad that almost all the jaguars of the study died at the end, except from the young adult "Xaman Ek", which signal was lost and his final fate is unknown.

This is the male "Ek Chuah", the picture in color is from another book:

This is the longest jaguar captures in the Central America region, with a total length of 2032 mm.

These are the measurements that I used for my comparative image of the jaguar, Waveriders complained about the shoulder height (too short), but as you corroborated here, those are the figures that Dr Rabinowitz presented.

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(10-05-2018, 07:00 PM)epaiva Wrote: Huge Jaguar hunted by Paul Stempel in boca del Caño de Agua Verde, close to Río Guariquito in Estado Guarico in 1945. This male measured 2,33 meters in total length including its tail and weighted 250 pounds (114 kilograms), attached picture of its skull largest in Venezuelan Collections measuring 31,25 centimeters long 22,50 centimeters wide.
Book Felinos de Venezuela 1992

@GuateGojira
My Friend Rafael Hoogesteijn works in el Pantanal in Brazil with Jaguars, he told me that he has not measure  a skull larger than the one pictured from Venezuela. Do you know of one larger than this one in el Pantanal?
1 user Likes epaiva's post

Expert & Researcher

(11-27-2018, 03:02 AM)epaiva Wrote: @GuateGojira
My Friend Rafael Hoogesteijn works in el Pantanal in Brazil with Jaguars, he told me that he has not measure  a skull larger than the one pictured from Venezuela. Do you know of one larger than this one in el Pantanal?

Nop, for the contrary, most of the skulls that I have personally saw are smaller, but this is because they came from jaguars from Guatemala. Regarding documents, the longest jaguar skull that I remeber is one reported by De Almeida that measured 323.9 mm in greatest length and 201.6 mm wide.