There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - C - THE JAGUAR (Panthera onca)

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-02-2014, 07:42 PM by Amnon242 )

(05-16-2014, 06:36 PM)Pckts Wrote: Nice info Peter.

About beats, I am reading more and more about Polar Bears. They are very tiger like, it seems. Impossible to read their emotions and to tell what they will do. Trainers say they just walk and sway their long neck and head back n forth never giving you any signs of what they are thinking. 
Outside of the point, but still interesting. 

Saturday I talked to a big cat breeeder in a zoo. I gave him the tiger vs. lion fight question, he expressed his opinion, but he also stated that jaguar would be serious oponent to any big cat - due to his speed and agility.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-02-2014, 07:23 PM)'Amnon242' Wrote:
(05-16-2014, 06:36 PM)'Pckts' Wrote: Nice info Peter.

About beats, I am reading more and more about Polar Bears. They are very tiger like, it seems. Impossible to read their emotions and to tell what they will do. Trainers say they just walk and sway their long neck and head back n forth never giving you any signs of what they are thinking. 
Outside of the point, but still interesting. 

Saturday I talked to a big cat breeeder in a zoo. I gave him the tiger vs. lion fight question, he expressed his opinion, but he also stated that jaguar would be serious oponent to any big cat - due to his speed and agility.

Don't leave us hanging, what was his opinion on L vs T?

About the Jag, I have read a few state how strong and fericious Jags are. No doubt about it, they just give up too much size to the Lions and Tigers.

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM by Amnon242 )

[/quote]

Don't leave us hanging, what was his opinion on L vs T?

About the Jag, I have read a few state how strong and fericious Jags are. No doubt about it, they just give up too much size to the Lions and Tigers.

[/quote]

The answer is in your post...I don´t want to start any tiger vs lion fight debate here :)

2 users Like Amnon242's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

An excellent paper on jaguar diet in the floodplain forest is attached.

Key conclusions:
-Jaguars are selective predators.
-Unlike the larger great cats, jaguar spacing is based on a territorial arrangement in itself rather than prey availibility.
-Predation occures more often at the core of an individuals territories than the overlapping range.
-Capybara and caiman are compose the most of the jaguars diet.

4 users Like tigerluver's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Jaguar size comparison:

Check my new comparison about the largest and smallest jaguar population:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Here is the description:

Pantanal jaguar:
The main source for it is the book "Wild cats of the world" from Dr Sunquist and his wife Fiona (2002) and this is for two reasons:
 1. All the animals in the list came from scientific studies, and although some of those figures were from hunted animals, they were vouched by the authors.
 2. I don't have the complete data from De Almeida, just some random sheets, so it will be incorrect to quote him if I don't know what is in the other pages.

The side note is about the heaviest jaguar recorded by scientists. I have the confirmation from Dr Cavalcanti, but now I managed to have a conversation with Dr Hoogesteijn and he not only confirm it too, but also add that the jaguar was captured with a bait, but this was no more than 4 or 5 kg. Sadly, he don't have the body measurements and he don't present estimations, however he send me a picture of the animal during the capture, check it:

Now, he told me that some years latter, the jaguar, now with old age, was beaten by another jaguar and he lost his territory, and in by 2014 it was very old and had an injure in its jaw, check the image:

It is a fascinating history, and although is very sad to see such a magnificent animal in this form, that is the nature's way.

Belize and Calakmul (south of Mexico) jaguar:
These are known to be the smallest jaguars on record, although is possible that those of the north of Mexico, the border of USA and in Peru, could be of the same size, if not smaller.

The main source was originally Sunquist & Sunquist (2002) just like the Pantanal jaguars, however, I manage to found the original source for the Belize jaguars, which are one document and one book, both from Dr Rabinowitz, so I decide it to use it as is the primary source.

The problem was that there are no adult females captured in Belize, so where did Dr Sunquist get the data for the females? Well, reading the sources, those female jaguars came from the Calakmul reserve in the south of México, they are not from Belize. Dr Rabinowits captured 6 males, so the other 6 males from Dr Sunquist list were probably from Mexico. I separate them from those of Belize, with the help of other source, specifically the blog of the Biologist Rodrigo Nuñez. Now, in the case of the females (only weights are available), those are obviously from Mexico, so I use it with its correct label.

It is interesting that when I scaled this jaguar, the result was a very short animal at the shoulders, maybe the standing height would be larger in the real animal (about 60 cm or more), but for the moment, I stick to the figures presented.

The images are from a Pantanal male and from a Belize male, differences between the coat patterns are probably caused by the light effect. It is incredible that genetically, these two populations belong to the same group and for that, there are no subspecies among the modern jaguars. This is a dramatic evidence about what the clinal effect can make (not even the difference between the Sumatran and Amur tigers is so dramatic).

If someone ask, why I don't scale the jaguar of Venezuela, which seems larger than that of the Pantanal? Well, I have a single page from the original source of Sunquist & Sunquist (2002) and it say that the records came from several hunters and I did not found any description about if the animals were measured over curves, between pegs or from skins.

Hope you like it, doubts (or corrections), you can ask me.

Greetings to all.
8 users Like GuateGojira's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Guate do you have any idea of how much jaguars weight in Argentina? From what I know, that is quite little since they are so elusive, their home range reachs to at least the north of Argentina, maybe Misiones that is directly connected to Brasil.
And great tables and images, that jaguar of almost 150 kg is a huge, muscular beast. Amazing animal.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Expert & Researcher

Sadly, I don't have data on the jaguars of Argentina, and I have not read anything about them, apart that they are greatly endangered and that only live in the north of the country, caused by the heavy hunting.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Aren't Peruvian jaguars the smallest?

Expert & Researcher

In fact, this seems to be incorrect, because the data is to scarce. Let's explain.

In the new book of Dr Sunquist and his wife, "The Wild Cat Book" of 2014, they state that the largest jaguars are from Venezuela-Brazil and the smallest ones from Peru, check the image:

The problem is that this assumption is based in only 2 weights, from one male and one female captured in Peru, here is the image from the table of the Book of 2002:

And here is another source about them, from Hoogesteijn & Mondolfi (1996):

In the book "Wild Cats of the World" from 2002 (which is vastly superior than the new one from 2014), the Sunquist stated that Central American jaguars were the smaller, but that time based in more data, check it:

So, it seems that there is no evidence to support this new claim. However, like I mentioned before, there are no measurements from jaguars in the frontier between Mexico and USA, and we definitely need more data from Peru in order to get a conclusion.
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

(08-21-2015, 06:33 AM)Majingilane Wrote: Guate do you have any idea of how much jaguars weight in Argentina? From what I know, that is quite little since they are so elusive, their home range reachs to at least the north of Argentina, maybe Misiones that is directly connected to Brasil.
And great tables and images, that jaguar of almost 150 kg is a huge, muscular beast. Amazing animal.

I found this book, it doesn't have any data about the size of the jaguars in Argentina, but is the most complete source about the status of this great cat in the country. Here is the link:

https://books.google.com.gt/books?id=UHD...&q&f=false

Check the pages 269 to 283.

Now here are some pages from another source, but the measurements are only from Brazil:

This is the best that I could get in so little time, all the other sources are just general information, not specifically from Argentina.

Hope this helps.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I'm trying to learn more about the two big cats from here, the Jaguar and the Puma, but sadly there is not much info on them. Thank you Guate, it is much appreciated.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM by sanjay Edit Reason: translated to english )

A friend in facebook talked to me about this page: Red Yaguareté
This was posted in July 31st.
"Jaguars Salteños Baritú National Park. The Jaguar Network and the National Parks Administration are carrying out a monitoring of this magnificent stained Salta protected area. Soon a new era is coming."
This Jaguars are from the Province of Salta, that is in the north of Argentina, in the National Park Baritú.

When I have some more time, I'll try to post more info about them. But it is really great to find this.
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Expert & Researcher

Those jaguars are very massive. It is important to remember that all jaguars look massive overall, even the small one from Central America, however as this population is very close to that of the south of Brazil, is possible that in fact, they could be very large.

Expert & Researcher

I put again the comparative image of the jaguars, is the same data, just that I add the silhouette of the largest specimens, for comparison purposes.

Greetings. Lol
9 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

The United States’ Only Wild Jaguar Gets a Name

November 09, 2015 Taylor Hill

The only known wild jaguar living in the United States now has a name—“El Jefe.”

The big cat has been roaming the Santa Rita Mountains near Tucson, Arizona, for the past three years, with camera traps regularly documenting his movements.

Students at a local middle school voted to name the cat El Jefe—which means “the boss” in Spanish—to signify the jaguar’s place at the top of the food chain. Jaguars once roamed the American Southwest but disappeared from the region over the past 100 years owing to forest clearing, habitat destruction, hunting, and federal predator control programs.

El Jefe is the second male jaguar identified in the U.S. in the past decade. A hunter shot the last female jaguar in the country in 1963.

(Photo: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)

Link: http://www.takepart.com/photos/daily-wil...-gets-name
8 users Like GuateGojira's post