There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - B - THE LION (Panthera leo)

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

I found this photos in Google and Wildfact. The barbary lion is still describing as bigger than other lion populations of Africa and Asia. The barbary lion is much bigger than the western African lion and Asiatic lion in this size comparison.

*This image is copyright of its original author

2 users Like lionjaguar's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

It would be nice if someone posts very nice information on lion sizes across Asia and Africa.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

About the image of the African lions, there is a clear explanation in the image, check it:

As you can see, I escalated the Barbary lion to its "maximum size" while all the others are to its "average size", great mistake now that I see it, because must of the people don't even bother to read ALL the text and only see the images. So, indirectly, the image hence the myth that Barbary lions were larger than other lions.

For more information, please visit this link: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-siz...rbary-lion

Here I go very deep in the size of the Barbary lion and the conclusion is clear, they were no larger than any other African lion population.
5 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

(10-18-2019, 11:48 PM)lionjaguar Wrote: It would be nice if someone posts very nice information on lion sizes across Asia and Africa.

In this topic: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-asiatic...os?page=85

In post 1274. I know that you alredy know it, but is just in case other poster read this topic and do not know where to search.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

Body size of the African lion, southern region:

I made a new series of tables about the size and weight of the lions that live in the southern region. Previously, in my old comparative images, I joined the lions from South Africa and Zimbabwe to form the "South-east clade" and those from Botswana and Namibia for the "South-west clade". However, recent genetic studies shows that the diferentiation is still not quite clear, and there is even some overlap betweeen the southern lions and the east ones. In this case, I decided to divide the records in countries:

South Africa: Specimens form the Kruger NP and the surrounding areas.
Zimbabwe: Specimens from that country and those captured in the Hwange NP.
Botswana: Specimens from that area and those from the Kalahari region.
Namibia: Lions from Etosha, Hobatere and the west coast.

The result is this image with 4 tables, enjoy it:

The results are different because I added new specimens and corrected the locations of others. So if the present figures do not match the ones from the old image, don't get surprised.

Now, this table shows exactly the problem that I explained about the measurements. Those from South Africa are by far the best of all, as all where taken "between pegs" and as we know, some weights are adjusted for stomach content. However the other three populations were measured "along the curves" and in the case of the Hobatere lions, I decided to exclude the specimens that are clearly measured incorrectly. Even then, if we compare the populaton of South Africa and Namibia, we could conclude that the lions from the west are bigger than those from the east, but that is not the case, because the measurements are increased by the method used ("over curves" from ALPRU) and the weights of all the other populations are not adjusted for stomach content, so sadly, a direct comparion is not posible. That is the problem when the figures are not obtained with standarized methods.

Hope this helps to those that like to study the variations of lions, sorry that I did not made a comparative image, but you must know that the important thing is the DATA, an image can be made by anyone, but to compile reliable information, that is the real art. By the way, I did not found any new specimens from the East of Africa, so this data remain the same:

Greetings. Happy
8 users Like GuateGojira's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 10:54 AM by BorneanTiger )

The complicated relationship between the lion and snow leopard

On one hand, based on phylogenetic analysis of DNA sequence sampled across the living Felidæ, the snow leopard forms a sister group with the tiger. The time of the genetic divergence of this group is estimated at 4.62 to 1.82 million years. The snow leopard and the tiger probably diverged between 3.7 and 2.7 million years ago. Panthera originates most likely in northern Central Asia. Panthera blytheæ, excavated in western Tibet's Ngari Prefecture, is the oldest known species in Panthera, and exhibits skull characteristics similar to the snow leopard: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/311/5757/73https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266755142https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar...via%3Dihubhttps://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/1....2013.2686

2 cladograms (by Sainsf) proposed for the genus Panthera. The upper cladogram is based on a 2006 phylogenetic study by Warren E. Johnson (of the National Cancer Institute) and colleagues, and a 2009 study by Lars Werdelin and colleagues. The lower cladogram is based on a 2010 study by Brian W. Davis (of the Texas A&M University) and colleagues and a 2011 study by Ji H. Mazák (of the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum) and colleagues.

One the other hand, 2016 study revealed that the mitochondrial genomes of snow leopards, leopards and lions are more similar to each other than their nuclear genomes, indicating that the ancestors of snow leopards hybridised with those of leopards and lions at some point in their evolution: https://genome.cshlp.org/content/26/1/1
1 user Likes BorneanTiger's post

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Sad... Warning !

Kevin Richardson: " Nothing really to smile about: In countries like Malawi, the approximate wild lion population is 5, 30 in Nigeria, 25 in Angola, 22 in Rwanda and 20 in Niger. Countries with larger populations include Tanzania (8176), Kenya (1825), Mozambique (1295), South Africa (2070), Zimbabwe (1709) and Zambia (1095). A recent study (The draft report titled State of the Lion: Fragility of a Flagship Species, by Amy Dickman and Amy Hinks from the Wildlife Conservation Research Unit at the University of Oxford), notes how there are more wild rhinos than wild lions, 14 times more African elephants and wild gorillas than wild lions and nearly 350 000 people for every one wild lion, yet wherever I travel in the world people know more about the plight of the rhino, elephant and gorilla than the lion. I use my platform to spread as much awareness about the lion as possible and include talking about it wherever I can. You can play your part in spreading awareness by tagging a few friends who might not know this. ".

2 users Like Spalea's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-06-2019, 05:51 PM by BorneanTiger )

(11-06-2019, 12:20 PM)Spalea Wrote: Sad... Warning !

Kevin Richardson: " Nothing really to smile about: In countries like Malawi, the approximate wild lion population is 5, 30 in Nigeria, 25 in Angola, 22 in Rwanda and 20 in Niger. Countries with larger populations include Tanzania (8176), Kenya (1825), Mozambique (1295), South Africa (2070), Zimbabwe (1709) and Zambia (1095). A recent study (The draft report titled State of the Lion: Fragility of a Flagship Species, by Amy Dickman and Amy Hinks from the Wildlife Conservation Research Unit at the University of Oxford), notes how there are more wild rhinos than wild lions, 14 times more African elephants and wild gorillas than wild lions and nearly 350 000 people for every one wild lion, yet wherever I travel in the world people know more about the plight of the rhino, elephant and gorilla than the lion. I use my platform to spread as much awareness about the lion as possible and include talking about it wherever I can. You can play your part in spreading awareness by tagging a few friends who might not know this. ".

That's not too dissimilar to what was recently posted about its striped cousin: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-on-the-...s?page=158
2 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Czech Republic Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@BorneanTiger :

About #263: yes cousin through their anatomies and behaviours, but, unfortunately, cousin too through their dreadful fates in wild.
2 users Like Spalea's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Study finds lions face new threat -poaching and trade in their body parts

Governments and conservationists should adopt holistic and collaborative approaches to preventing and halting the poaching of and trade in the body parts of lions.
This call is contained in a new study which provides evidence of this emerging threat to African lion conservation.
The study, published in October in international journal Biodiversity and Conservation, warns that this growing threat could have a devastating affect on lion populations, mirroring similar affects on wild tiger populations.
The study presented data from field surveys conducted in the Mozambican portion of the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area, an area between SA, Mozambique and Zimbabwe, between 2011 and 2018.
“We documented 49 lion deaths caused by humans across the study area during the entire study period,” the study said.
The targeted poaching of lions for body parts accounted for 35% of known human-caused mortalities across the landscape, it added.

The researchers also found that retaliatory killing for livestock conflict accounted for 51% of mortalities, but body parts were removed in 48% of conflict cases, suggesting that the demand for body parts was escalating conflict killings.
Teeth and claws were the parts most frequently harvested, with an alarming and dramatic increase from 2014.
“We recorded reports of four cases where lion body parts were confiscated in Mozambique between 2013 and 2017. Of these known cases, canine teeth and claws were confiscated twice, skin, meat and fat once and a full skeleton once.”
The study said two shipments of teeth and claws were confiscated by Mozambican government authorities in 2016 at an international airport. They were destined for Vietnam, with one of the seizures including a combination of lion parts and elephant ivory.

Lead author of the study, Dr Kris Everatt, Panthera’s bushmeat poaching programme manager, said lions already faced a litany threats, from dwindling prey populations to conflict with cattle farmers.

Everatt said the study demonstrated that lions were increasingly confronting the threat of poaching for body parts, often under the guise of human-lion conflict.
He said factors driving this type of poaching remained poorly understood, but that the number of carcasses of captive-bred lions exported from SA had grown exponentially since 2007.
This trade fed a growing market among upwardly mobile Asians for luxury products, such as lion bone wine, with lion bones used in place of tiger bones, as tiger parts become increasingly scarce.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-a...ody-parts/
3 users Like Sully's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 01:32 PM by BorneanTiger )

(11-12-2019, 12:05 AM)Sully Wrote: Study finds lions face new threat -poaching and trade in their body parts

Governments and conservationists should adopt holistic and collaborative approaches to preventing and halting the poaching of and trade in the body parts of lions.
This call is contained in a new study which provides evidence of this emerging threat to African lion conservation.
The study, published in October in international journal Biodiversity and Conservation, warns that this growing threat could have a devastating affect on lion populations, mirroring similar affects on wild tiger populations.
The study presented data from field surveys conducted in the Mozambican portion of the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area, an area between SA, Mozambique and Zimbabwe, between 2011 and 2018.
“We documented 49 lion deaths caused by humans across the study area during the entire study period,” the study said.
The targeted poaching of lions for body parts accounted for 35% of known human-caused mortalities across the landscape, it added.

The researchers also found that retaliatory killing for livestock conflict accounted for 51% of mortalities, but body parts were removed in 48% of conflict cases, suggesting that the demand for body parts was escalating conflict killings.
Teeth and claws were the parts most frequently harvested, with an alarming and dramatic increase from 2014.
“We recorded reports of four cases where lion body parts were confiscated in Mozambique between 2013 and 2017. Of these known cases, canine teeth and claws were confiscated twice, skin, meat and fat once and a full skeleton once.”
The study said two shipments of teeth and claws were confiscated by Mozambican government authorities in 2016 at an international airport. They were destined for Vietnam, with one of the seizures including a combination of lion parts and elephant ivory.

Lead author of the study, Dr Kris Everatt, Panthera’s bushmeat poaching programme manager, said lions already faced a litany threats, from dwindling prey populations to conflict with cattle farmers.

Everatt said the study demonstrated that lions were increasingly confronting the threat of poaching for body parts, often under the guise of human-lion conflict.
He said factors driving this type of poaching remained poorly understood, but that the number of carcasses of captive-bred lions exported from SA had grown exponentially since 2007.
This trade fed a growing market among upwardly mobile Asians for luxury products, such as lion bone wine, with lion bones used in place of tiger bones, as tiger parts become increasingly scarce.

Yes, but not totally new, because I mentioned 5 months before in the tiger thread that because tigers or their parts are getting scarcer or harder to obtain, the "tiger-eaters" have turned their attention to lions, particularly canned South African lions, so I wouldn't feel sorry for them if Trump's trade war or a new global recession (which this Chinese newspaper says China won't be able to save the World from) affects their financial ability to keep the murky trade going: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...59216.html
2 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert

(11-01-2019, 08:13 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Body size of the African lion, southern region:

I made a new series of tables about the size and weight of the lions that live in the southern region. Previously, in my old comparative images, I joined the lions from South Africa and Zimbabwe to form the "South-east clade" and those from Botswana and Namibia for the "South-west clade". However, recent genetic studies shows that the diferentiation is still not quite clear, and there is even some overlap betweeen the southern lions and the east ones. In this case, I decided to divide the records in countries:

South Africa: Specimens form the  Kruger NP and the surrounding areas.

The results are different because I added new specimens and corrected the locations of others. So if the present figures do not match the ones from the old image, don't get surprised.

Now, this table shows exactly the problem that I explained about the measurements. Those from South Africa are by far the best of all, as all where taken "between pegs" and as we know, some weights are adjusted for stomach content. However the other three populations were measured "along the curves" and in the case of the Hobatere lions, I decided to exclude the specimens that are clearly measured incorrectly. Even then, if we compare the populaton of South Africa and Namibia, we could conclude that the lions from the west are bigger than those from the east, but that is not the case, because the measurements are increased by the method used ("over curves" from ALPRU) and the weights of all the other populations are not adjusted for stomach content, so sadly, a direct comparion is not posible. That is the problem when the figures are not obtained with standarized methods.

Hope this helps to those that like to study the variations of lions, sorry that I did not made a comparative image, but you must know that the important thing is the DATA, an image can be made by anyone, but to compile reliable information, that is the real art. By the way, I did not found any new specimens from the East of Africa, so this data remain the same:

Greetings. Happy

@GuateGojira 

Great work Guategoijra!!!!

All these weights are basically what has been stated in other sources. For South African lions, the average is about 190 kg, or about 10-20 kg more then that of East Africa.

The weights for Namibia and Botswana however are certainly outliners here. The weights for South Africa and Zimbabwe are literally identical, but the other two locations have a noticeable difference. The smaller size of lions in Botswana I would imagine are likely due to environment (swamp lands), but for Namibia I can't say for sure.
2 users Like Kingtheropod's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned

(11-01-2019, 08:13 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: Body size of the African lion, southern region:

South Africa: Specimens form the  Kruger NP and the surrounding areas.

Greetings. Happy

Fabulous post. Do the same for lions in other Africa and Asia along with jaguars.
1 user Likes lionjaguar's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2019, 03:41 AM by lionjaguar )

(11-12-2019, 12:05 AM)Sully Wrote: Study finds lions face new threat -poaching and trade in their body parts

Trophy hunters from other western countries are no different. Who killed Cecil and Xanda? Middle East and Latin America are in bad for smuggling on big cats and circus. I watched how it's easy to smuggle big cats in Latin America to wealthy class and USA. Mexican cartels show off their lavish lifestyles on Instagram and Snapchat from posting pet lions: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...ealth.html There was one Kuwaiti who live with their pet cheetahs: https://www.middleeasteye.net/features/m...t-cheetahs Even poor European countries in Balkan have big problems in circus and animals in captivity. None of western media ever mention about it besides blaming on Asian and poor people in Africa just like many people often think Muslims as terrorists. Conservation ngo and journalists often blaming on certain people rather than speaking another truth to make money. Syria is often ignore in media since journalist won't make money anymore from this topic. Who was responsible after introduced Jewish into the Middle East, and caused every terrors in Middle East? It was British, French, and Italy. How did British and other nations in western Europe demolished all of animals in every continents during their empire?
1 user Likes lionjaguar's post

lionjaguar Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2019, 10:04 AM by Rishi )

(11-12-2019, 01:29 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote:

Yes, but not totally new, because I mentioned 5 months before in the tiger thread that because tigers or their parts are getting scarcer or harder to obtain, the "tiger-eaters" have turned their attention to lions, particularly canned South African lions, so I wouldn't feel sorry for them if Trump's trade war or a new global recession (which this Chinese newspaper says China won't be able to save the World from) affects their financial ability to keep the murky trade going: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...59216.html

That is so pathetic.
Quote:so I wouldn't feel sorry for them if Trump's trade war or a new global recession

I have Chinese and Vietnamese friends, and I think small populations of them are involving in those markets. Your statement is the same as Trump is correct to banning Arab Muslim immigrants because of Osama Bin Laden, Al-Qaeda, Taliban, and ISIS. You may not like it, but I feel like many nations in the Middle East will be good friends with China. Trump is building a wall border between the United States and Mexico. I think Trump is no different than China, Vietnam, and Taiwan.