There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

Ttimemarti Offline

Could it be an avoca male offspring page? It’s a ton of them so it wouldn’t be a bad idea 
1 Talamati Male
3 Nkuhuma Males 
3 Sand River Males 
1 Plains Camp Male 
1 Younger Nkuhuma Male (still with the pride) and potentially more males in the plains camp pride
6 users Like Ttimemarti's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(06-09-2024, 09:37 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Could it be an avoca male offspring page? It’s a ton of them so it wouldn’t be a bad idea 
1 Talamati Male
3 Nkuhuma Males 
3 Sand River Males 
1 Plains Camp Male 
1 Younger Nkuhuma Male (still with the pride) and potentially more males in the plains camp pride

That's a great idea. An Avova Male Lineage (same as the ones for Matimbas and BBoys) would certainly streamline things.
4 users Like Rabubi's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(06-09-2024, 09:37 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Could it be an avoca male offspring page? It’s a ton of them so it wouldn’t be a bad idea 
1 Talamati Male
3 Nkuhuma Males 
3 Sand River Males 
1 Plains Camp Male 
I was thinking about it too! Thats an interesting idea. 

Many sons of the successful Northern/Southern Avoca thriving in Kruger and Sabi Sand, a topic to share pictures and updates on all of them would be great.
4 users Like Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-09-2024, 10:05 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
1 Talamati Male
3 Nkuhuma Males 
3 Sand River Males 
1 Plains Camp Male 

Many sons of the successful Northern/Southern Avoca thriving in Kruger and Sabi Sand, a topic to share pictures and updates on all of them would be great.

How about this, guys, how about if I will rename the Avoca Males thread to include their male lineage? That way, that thread will continue to be updated, long into the future, and we don't create a new thread, that could eventually stop being updated.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its already quite complex keeping track of the two coalitions as it is. Tossing all those groups in just one thread would make things even more chaotic.
And in the end of the day, these coalitions simply arent the Avocas.

Just keep the discussions in the natal prides for now until they become territorial.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(06-10-2024, 02:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
1 Talamati Male
3 Nkuhuma Males 
3 Sand River Males 
1 Plains Camp Male 

How about this, guys, how about if I will rename the Avoca Males thread to include their male lineage? That way, that thread will continue to be updated, long into the future, and we don't create a new thread, that could eventually stop being updated.

That sounds like a good idea to me, but as moderator I'd say it's your call.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2024, 03:27 AM by BA0701 )

(06-10-2024, 02:53 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its already quite complex keeping track of the two coalitions as it is. Tossing all those groups in just one thread would make things even more chaotic.
And in the end of the day, these coalitions simply arent the Avocas.

Just keep the discussions in the natal prides for now until they become territorial.

There are only two Avoca males remaining, and updates on the two of them are very sporadic. Meaning, the thread does not get updated very often, and the moment anything happens to one or both of those two we will end up with yet another dormant thread. At least, if we add the boys there, until they are in a position to get their own threads, that thread will stay active longer. How long was Mohawk gone, when we got no updates on him, and S Avoca just isn't seen regularly. 

The natal pride threads will continue to be updated with or without these males, the same cannot be said for the Avocas thread. Given they do have a number of sons, and the age of the current Avocas, it would make more sense to simply change the title of an existing thread, than to have two threads that will eventually become dormant.

Besides, we have only recently started using the "Lineage" threads, they provide a place for their grandsons, etc... so people can follow their blood through the years. How often do we ask who the fathers, grandfathers of a certain male were?

Thank you for your input though!! Cheers, my friend!
6 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Dormant threads are normal in any forum. Its perfectly reasonable to close the book once every living member of a coalition has passed away.
I don't think its a solution anyway. At one point all of their offspring will be either death or have become successful enough to get their own thread. 
Leaving little reason to post in the Avoca one anymore unless the new generations are blocked from their spot in the spotlight.

The whole bloodline thing is in my opinion mostly male lion fanboyism anyway. Nobody ever takes into account the pedigree of the lionesses in these things. 
Take for instance, the Othawa male. Would if he was still alive fall under a Majingilane or Mapogo lineage thread? Or seeing he was a territorial male in his own end, get his own?
And that is just one generation. Imagine how difficult it will be 10 years from now to know where to post or find information on a specific coalition without knowing who their grandfather is.
And we are not even talking about cases where the father is unknown. 

I know, getting things organizing is tricky. Especially on a forum which aren't meant for record keeping of this nature. But I don't think organizing things on something as complex as bloodlines is going to help us in the long run. 
I think a stickied genealogy thread with links to the threads of the discussed groups might be interesting idea?
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Super Moderator

(06-10-2024, 04:10 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Dormant threads are normal in any forum. Its perfectly reasonable to close the book once every living member of a coalition has passed away.
I don't think its a solution anyway. At one point all of their offspring will be either death or have become successful enough to get their own thread. 
Leaving little reason to post in the Avoca one anymore unless the new generations are blocked from their spot in the spotlight.

The whole bloodline thing is in my opinion mostly male lion fanboyism anyway. Nobody ever takes into account the pedigree of the lionesses in these things. 
Take for instance, the Othawa male. Would if he was still alive fall under a Majingilane or Mapogo lineage thread? Or seeing he was a territorial male in his own end, get his own?
And that is just one generation. Imagine how difficult it will be 10 years from now to know where to post or find information on a specific coalition without knowing who their grandfather is.
And we are not even talking about cases where the father is unknown. 

I know, getting things organizing is tricky. Especially on a forum which aren't meant for record keeping of this nature. But I don't think organizing things on something as complex as bloodlines is going to help us in the long run. 
I think a stickied genealogy thread with links to the threads of the discussed groups might be interesting idea?

I disagree on the fanboyism part, I mean new people coming in, and many of us who have been around for a minute, find it much easier to find out about a specific male, or group of, without reading a post about him in one thread, then having to look through multiple other threads to find out other things. As for OM, these are male lineage threads, he would never have ended up in the Mapogo thread, the only other place he might have ended up was in either the Othawa thread, or the SS thread where the posts about him before his passing were made previously, possibly even the Mangheni thread for as long as he remained with them. We have to focus on the many balls we have in the air, simultaneously, and keep things as organized as we're able. 

At the end of the day, not for a lack of effort on our part, but it is literally impossible to make everyone happy with our decisions, sometimes it might not even be the majority, in a situation where a decision is made for the benefit of the site. We are always open to new ideas, and your single repository suggestion is a really interesting idea. I just do not see how that could be done, that would be a really in depth and time consuming project. Keeping up with this entire site, beyond just the lion section, requires a lot of time and effort in itself, time that nobody is being paid for. Myself, and many others on this Team are on this site 7 days a week, several hours a day as it is. We do it for our love for the wild world, animals in general, and in this case, lions specifically, as well as for the community as a whole and the site specifically. Asking members of the team to devote their time to documenting every mention of the lions contained in the Lineage threads, and the links to those posts would be a monumental undertaking.

If you'd like, we can continue this conversation via PM, and allow the conversation to get back on topic.

Cheers, my friend!
4 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Mala Mala Game Report May 2024

THE NKUHUMA PRIDE = 16
3 ADULT FEMALES ± 7 YEARS 9 MONTHS
2 ADULT FEMALES ± 4 YEARS 11 MONTHS
7 SUB-ADULTS (3 FEMALES & 4 MALES) ± 3 YEARS 1 MONTH
WESTERN & CENTRAL EYREFIELD
(3 sightings)

There were three sightings of the Nkuhuma Pride in May. On the 2nd, five lionesses and one sub-adult
male were seen at Clarendon Dam. They were on the Gowrie Boundary, east of the Mlowathi River
three days later. On the 7th, six females were with one young male at Mlowathi Dam Crossing.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-12-2024, 11:32 PM by criollo2mil )

(06-10-2024, 02:06 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
1 Talamati Male
3 Nkuhuma Males 
3 Sand River Males 
1 Plains Camp Male 

I like this idea the best and I agree that this allows the thread to remain active and relevant rather than dying off like some we've seen recently.    I like it more than keeping it withing the natal pride thread as it follows the natural occurrence of males leaving their prides.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Oldest of the Plains Camp Male offspring. Just so developed at 2.4 years old. WoW.

Credit: Alex Bentall

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(06-13-2024, 02:27 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Oldest of the Plains Camp Male offspring.    Just so developed at 2.4 years old.   WoW.

Credit: Alex Bentall

That boy is bulky.
2 users Like afortich's post

Go131810 Online

(06-12-2024, 06:06 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Mala Mala Game Report May 2024

THE NKUHUMA PRIDE = 16
3 ADULT FEMALES ± 7 YEARS 9 MONTHS
2 ADULT FEMALES ± 4 YEARS 11 MONTHS
7 SUB-ADULTS (3 FEMALES & 4 MALES) ± 3 YEARS 1 MONTH
WESTERN & CENTRAL EYREFIELD
(3 sightings)

There were three sightings of the Nkuhuma Pride in May. On the 2nd, five lionesses and one sub-adult
male were seen at Clarendon Dam. They were on the Gowrie Boundary, east of the Mlowathi River
three days later. On the 7th, six females were with one young male at Mlowathi Dam Crossing.

This is confusing what are the 4 Nukhuma male lions in the Nukhuma pride? There is 3 Nukhuma male lions with a lioness in Kruger and 1 young subadult Nukhuma still in the pride with the Nukhuma pride.
May Chela Tatered ear rest in peace. There is 2 Birmingham lionesses and 2 adult Avoca daughters. I saw a post where Mohawk was back with the Nukhuma pride.

Ttimemarti Offline

Yeah should be 7 females 
2 Birminghams around 8 years old (pale eyes, ridgenoses older daughter)
2 avoca daughters around 4 in a half maybe 
3 younger avoca daughters around 3 
1 young male around 3 as well
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post