There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

Friarfan619 Online

Do females not accept other females?? Guessing they would accept after some shared meals??
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

(02-27-2024, 12:00 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Do females not accept other females?? Guessing they would accept after some shared meals??

No, they usually don't.  They might be friendlier over a meal, maybe, but in terms of joining other unrelated females to form a pride, well, that's rare.  We see it happen less frequently than males forming unrelated coalitions....much less frequently, in fact.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Ttimemarti Offline

If they stayed around the pride long enough and took a few beatings without being killed then maybe it’s still just depends… but how many nkuhuma subadults are left?

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2024, 12:38 AM by Cath2020 )

I'm not sure about that.  It would be unprecedented, but then again, stranger things have happened.  Look at how close the Xim. Pride is with their step-mother/step-daughter relationship.  Now, even the older Xim. Lioness is actually nursing her partner's cubs, sacrificing her ability to go into heat anytime soon, raising her own bloodline.  Therefore, as a lioness well over 10, I don't see her successfully raising another litter of her own to 2-3 years of age.  It's now a more distant possibility.  Maybe that's why unrelated lionesses don't often team up. 

Since they nurse from each other in a pride, the best outcome would be to raise litters together to be more successful; therefore being related would make more sense, evolutionarily speaking.  Maybe the Xim. Lioness senses her time is now limited, what with how many litters she has already lost, and she is fine with helping raise her adopted family.  This also boosts her chances to live longer into old age, surrounding by them protecting/feeding her.  She's also genuinely fond of the Othawa Breakaway, as we can see.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Cath2020 Tsalala and Kambula not only are too far away but are too old for the NK sub.

Yes, Othawa are 2 and it'd be very hard for them to accept someone else, but not impossible, lionesses have joined bigger prides many times before, and the fact they are all young makes it even more likely that they may join up.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Most of the lionesses are in established prides in established territories that sometimes go back decades. Usually there aren't many solitary nomadic lionesses around. 
Its rare for them to even meet eachother. So the situation in western sector is rather unexplored territory if it comes to animal behavoir. 

It all depends on how the othawa and the Ridge Nose young female look at the situation. If they see themselves as established prides they will be much less likely to condone newcomers than if they see themselves as wanderers in their own former territory. Though I dont really think the situation isnt that much different as the one Gingerella and Ximhungwe were in in earlier. 

Offcource any union is going to be nearly impossible while Skorro and the Ridge Nose young male are still around.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(02-27-2024, 12:21 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I'm not sure about that.  It would be unprecedented, but then again, stranger things have happened.  Look at how close the Xim. Pride is with their step-mother/step-daughter relationship.  Now, even the older Xim. Lioness is actually nursing her partner's cubs, sacrificing her ability to go into heat anytime soon, raising her own bloodline.  Therefore, as a lioness well over 10, I don't see her successfully raising another litter of her own to 2-3 years of age.  It's now a more distant possibility.  Maybe that's why unrelated lionesses don't often team up. 

Since they nurse from each other in a pride, the best outcome would be to raise litters together to be more successful; therefore being related would make more sense, evolutionarily speaking.  Maybe the Xim. Lioness senses her time is now limited, what with how many litters she has already lost, and she is fine with helping raise her adopted family.  This also boosts her chances to live longer into old age, surrounding by them protecting/feeding her.  She's also genuinely fond of the Othawa Breakaway, as we can see.

Those are just two nomads joining eachother… a bigger pride would’ve been different if I’m not mistaken they would meet eachother and gingerella would still try to join her original pride until she gave up

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2024, 06:01 AM by Mapokser )

@Duco Ndona The Westerm Sector has seen this before with the Ximhungwe female's mothers.

After the Mapogo arrived and destroyed the prides there, they finally took over the Ximhungwe pride in 2009.

This pride, however, was formed by 3 Ximhungwe females, 1 Ravenscourt female and 1 Tsalala female.

2 different solitary lionesses from 2 different prides were able to join Ximhungwe pride of 3.

Bboys and PCM did the same thing, so we may see a similar situation.

United States T_Ferguson Online

(02-27-2024, 05:13 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Duco Ndona The Westerm Sector has been this before with the Ximhungwe female's mothers.

After the Mapogo arrived and destroyed the prides there, they finally took over the Ximhungwe pride in 2009.

This pride, however, was formed by 3 Ximhungwe females, 1 Ravenscourt female and 1 Tsalala female.

2 different solitary lionesses from 2 different prides were able to join Ximhungwe pride of 3.

Bboys and PCM did the same thing, so we may see a similar situation.

It would give me great joy if they joined together.  It would be spectacular if this happened and then somehow the Tsalala girl came in and provided a leading guidance, but that's fairy tale world.

Ttimemarti Offline

How many nkuhuma subadults remain? I know only 1 boy is left but how many females?

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(02-27-2024, 09:14 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: How many nkuhuma subadults remain? I know only 1 boy is left but how many females?

3 females from 2021.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Go131810 Offline

Did the Nukhuma lionesses ate with the Ximhungwe lionesses? I also wanted to say I do not think the Ximhungwe lioness is like a step mother to Gingerella. If she is 10 years of age, and Gingerella must be 5 or 6 years of age? They were two single lionesses that joined together. Lionesses from the same pride have eachother. The single lionesses are maybe even looking for a partner or partners. It is interesting I did not know the history of the Ximhungwe pride but I have heard all 3 pride of lionesses were related to each other; from the Tsalala, Ximhungwe and the Raverscourt pride. I thought they were daughters and sisters to each other.

Ttimemarti Offline

I heard the ravenscourt pride was a ximhungwe breakaway pride and the last female just rejoined the pride
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Friarfan619 Online

Is the ym tha ttalamati ym attacked still alive??

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(03-01-2024, 03:27 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Is the ym tha ttalamati ym attacked still alive??

Ye he was mentioned in the Elephant Plains report that come out earlier today that was last dated back to the 25th February. ‘The Nkuhuma Pride consisting of 9 lionesses, one subadult male and four Nkuhuma males stationary on Arathusa Main Road.’
1 user Likes KM600's post