There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 03:50 PM by Dark Jaguar )

3 Pantanal males captured by Panthera.

After a request of @Balam I contacted Tortato to get the sizes of the males she asked me and here they are.

Gaucho male 98 kg.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Peter Schmidt male (AKA Katu) 110 kg.

M15 male (AKA Guru) 115 kg.

M15 and female.

credits: Hugo Fernandes

@Balam

In case you're wondering M15 male is not the 115 kg unnamed male in the table sourced by panthera, that male was first captured in October 2011 and got recaptured to get his collar removed in late 2012 with the participation of Joares May whereas M15 was collared in 2014.

Its very interesting the brothers Peter and Cage both weighing the same.

And Gaúcho is most likely the only male bellow 100 kg captured by Panthera that Tortato told me.

ID = Gaucho
Weight = 98 kg
Source = Panthera
Area = N. Pantanal
Age = Adult

ID = Peter Schmidt
Weight = 110 kg
Source = Panthera
Area = N. Pantanal
Age = Adult

ID = M15
Weight = 115 kg
Source = Panthera
Area = N. Pantanal
Age = Adult
5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(12-19-2020, 03:47 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 3 Pantanal males captured by Panthera.

After a request of @Balam I contacted Tortato to get the sizes of the males she asked me and here they are.

Gaucho male 98 kg.

Peter Schmidt male (AKA Katu) 110 kg.

M15 male (AKA Guru) 115 kg.

M15 and female.

credits: Hugo Fernandes

@Balam

In case you're wondering M15 male is not the 115 kg unnamed male in the table sourced by panthera, that male was first captured in October 2011 and got recaptured to get his collar removed in late 2012 with the participation of Joares May whereas M15 was collared in 2014.

Its very interesting the brothers Peter and Cage both weighing the same.

And Gaúcho is most likely the only male bellow 100 kg captured by Panthera that Tortato told me.

ID = Gaucho
Weight = 98 kg
Source = Panthera
Area = N. Pantanal
Age = Adult

ID = Peter Schmidt
Weight = 110 kg
Source = Panthera
Area = N. Pantanal
Age = Adult

ID = M15
Weight = 115 kg
Source = Panthera
Area = N. Pantanal
Age = Adult

Thanks for the information DJ. M15 is a very compact and robust individual, reminds of Brutus from Caiman Ecological Refuge.

A couple of things that need to be clarified about the table, this is the last time that I'm addressing this because the level of scrutiny and the accusations that the same crew of people on the same site likes to throw around are getting tired. I've never seen people so committed to questioning every single detail of the weights compilation of species (not lions or tigers even, for that regard), and it's driven by nothing other than an agenda to reduce the sizes of jaguars at any cost because these people refuse to move away from the orthodox views that they seldom surpass 100 kg in weight, using the data of Almeida as Biblical to back up their accusations.

@Pckts, I know you're spending a lot of time trying to clear the air and explain each and every single accusation being thrown our way with the table, but at some point these people need to be left alone to bathe in their ignorance and self-perceived notions of grandiosity. Those three same individuals (you know who they are) are active on or at least possess an account and could easily come to this thread to debate us. Instead, they resort to posting on their beloved site where they will face no form of opposition, where the audience is significantly younger and more easily impressionable, and where there are very clear biases against the jaguar for whatever reason. If they have a problem with our work, they can come here and express themselves, otherwise, I don't think it's appropriate to give their accusations any form of validation by engaging with them over that platform.

Every time there is a new weight provided to us, or it's publicized by one of the organizations that track jaguars, and said weight surpasses the approved opinion of what a Pantanal jaguar should weight according to these people, their go-to excuse is to say that the jaguar was "gorged", or showed massive amounts of stomach content. Right now the jaguars Brutos, Matheus, Shaka, Sandro, and Yapu are the main targets for these accusations. Let's go over them one by one:

Brutos weighed 110 kg in his first capture and later 120 kg a month later, certainly that gain in weight was significant within the period of time it was recaptured, but high spikes like that are perfectly normal to occur when felids are going through their developmental peak stage or starting to through the beginning of their prime years (at around 4 years of age). Brutos did show some level of stomach content during his second capture as his belly dropped low, but at the same time, his midsection viewed from a horizontal perspective was flat. He was not "gorged", nor did he have 10 kg - nearly a tenth of his body mass - stored in his stomach, perhaps around 5 kg would be more appropriate. Here he is:

The next one is Matheus, this is the only jaguar from the aforementioned list where I think there is some validity to questioning his weight, only because the value of 121 kg was published at the same that the value of 134 kg was during his second capture. 
During his initial capture, the weight of 134 kg was laid out clearly by the organization:

I want to be very clear here, that any level of stomach content Matheus might have presented during that capture was minimal. Compared to Brutos, his belly hangs lower and there is no bulge or protuberance in his midsection whatsoever.

In his second capture, and this is the contested one, two weights were provided:

One was 121 kg, which was posted on the Oncas do Rio Negro's IG, but was later removed from the caption. Thankfully one can still find it on Facebook:

Thamy Moreira, on the far right of the line of people, stated on her page after posting about the capture that this jaguar had weighed 134 kg:

Compared with his initial capture, in the second one Matheus does show the signs of a belly with content in it, particularly because seen from a horizontal perspective there is a minor bump. Again, he was not gorged, there was content nonetheless.
The question is, why are there two weights being claimed for the same specimen, on the same capture? We do not know for now, I'm trying to contact them directly to get an answer to this question once and for all. For now, because the value of 134 kg was laid out clearly in his initial capture, and we have one of the biologists present in his second capture reiterating that weight, whereas the second one was removed from the IG caption, it's obvious which one holds more grounds, and as such we will maintain the 134 kg value unless it's clarified by the organization that a different value was the appropriate one.

In regards to Shaka, publicly Oncafari has never made any mention of him weighing 118 kg empty belly. I've gone over this already, but when the question was posed to Eduard Fragoso, he answered it with an ambiguous "yeah", as the question was posed in a manner that implied he was empty on his second capture of 118 kg.
When the Oncafari team sent me the table from their entire collection of weights, the value shown for Shaka remained at 131 kg. The Oncafari team is very meticulous about which values to publicized, and I've talked about that before with the case of Felino. Once again, unless specified otherwise and in a clear form that Shaka was "gorged" during his initial capture, the official value of 131 kg has standing and is the one that will remain on our side, period.

In regards to Sandro, initially when his capture was publicized the first thing we did here was to attempt to get an estimation of how much stomach content he had to deduct from the value of 130 kg that Gustavo gave me. But later Gustavo posted on his profile that Sandro in fact weighed more than 130 kg:

"He was spotted and weighed more than 130 kg"

Based on that claim, DJ reached out to him to know if the value of 130 kg posted for him was already adjusted to stomach content since he himself claimed he weighed more than that. Similar to the question posed to Edu, Gustavo had an ambiguous answer, which was to be expected since he is a photographer and not a biologist, but later, the official page of Reprocon ratified the 130 kg value when someone asked how much the jaguar weighed:

It doesn't take a genius to realize that if this particular jaguar weighed more than 130 kg and likely topped out the scale, while the official value given for him is lower than his total one, hence the team responsible for his capture likely gave an estimation of his weight on an empty stomach. I will say it once, his total weight was more than 130 kg.

Lastly, there is the case with Yapu. I'll make this one short, the weights of 102 kg and 110 kg were both publicized by Oncas do Rio Negro on the same capture, clearly one of the two has to be incorrect. Once again I have reached out to them and will wait on an answer to see which one is the correct one, and according to their answer, the table will be adjusted.

A couple of more notes, the males captured in Fazenda Sao Bento were captured in Mato Grosso do Sul, i.e. the SOUTHERN Pantanal, not the northern area. It's funny to see such a preposterous individual so desperate to try to prove us wrong that he will make such a confident claim and be so wrong in the process.

Joker was captured again this year, this time his weight could not be directly gathered by the Oncafari team because he was so heavy that they could not lift him up the ground. From Fragoso himself:

Therefore, the estimate that he weighs more than 140 kg comes from one of the most prestigious biologist teams in regards to jaguar conservation and is 100% reliable. Especially since they have experience weighing a jaguar that approached the 140 kg mark (Robusto) and they saw firsthand how much bigger and heavier Joker was from him.

Secondly, Edu was fast to say that Sombra weighed 120 kg empty, which means that the Oncafari team takes each variable from the state in which the jaguars are capture to give the most accurate weight possible.

Lastly, I have to say that I'm very proud of the work done so far in the compilation of this data, regardless of how angry it makes a couple of people who can't fathom seeing jaguars grown this much bigger than leopards. The team of biologists who have seen our work and collaborated with us values it as well, and as long as they approve of it, we have nothing to justify to individuals who have a clear agenda laid out based on their own personal biases.
As I've said before, regardless of how much they continue barking on the other platform, unless they come here to challenge our work, we should let them say whatever they want, there is nothing for us to prove to them.
2 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 09:51 PM by Balam )

Since the information on weights and measurements for Llanos jaguars in recent times is so scarce, I'd thought I'd share this one case of a female cub that was rescued in the department of Vichada, Colombia, after being held illegally by a civilian. From: RESCATE Y MANEJO DE FAUNA SILVESTRE EX SITU EN COLOMBIA: ESTUDIO DE CASO DE UN JAGUAR (PANTHERA ONCA) EN LA ORINOQUÍA COLOMBIANA:

"It was determined that the age of the animal was of around 6 months, showed really good body condition, without external markings, with a height of 70 cm and a weight between 25-30 kg. This animal was fed likely with meat, crushed bones and fish"

More pictures of her, named Yahui:

Due to her age when she was rescued, it's likely that a jaguar like her would triple in mass by the time she reaches her prime, at around 7 years of age. 80-90 kg in weight would be an accurate estimation by that time, imo.
The alleged shoulder height is very exceptional if accurate, but I'm skeptical of the methodology used to gather that number, it seems too large for a female cub of that age.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 09:05 AM by Balam )

Onçafari posted publicly the data on the capture of Joker last year that Edu sent me before, this time with his body length!

"In the 2020 capture campaign at @refugioecologicocaiman we captured the biggest #jaguar we have ever monitored! Joker was already an old friend for our camera traps, but last year we were able to measure its size, weight and collect data to understand more about the jaguars here in this region of the Pantanal.

Joker weighed more than 140 kilos and measured 2.50m from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. He is an example of how big the Pantanal jaguars are when compared to jaguars from other regions of Brazil."

I really wonder how much he truly weights in the absolutes, I'm almost certain he is larger than López. It's such a shame he was so heavy that they couldn't even lift him up. It's clear that when dealing with the largest male jaguars there needs to be systems put in place that resemble lion or tiger capture procedures (including collars that are wide enough for their neck, as Joker is so big not even a collar fits him), to avoid running into troubles weighing them.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

On the third of December of last year multiple news sites in Brazil were reporting about on this case of a jaguar that was run over by a car in Mato Grosso, that according to them, weighed around 180 kg:

For obvious reasons, the veracity of those claims is highly questionable and frankly unlikely. I wish that the government figures that record these instances and collect the data, such as the police, could transfer it to universities for more analysis or keep the records of it for further access to investigate their veracity.

I think in this case the alleged weight is likely an inflated estimation for sensational purposes. In the unlikely event that it was accurate, we would be dealing with the second alleged weight of a 180 kg Holocene jaguar registered, and would represent a new record. 
In this instance, the jaguar does show a considerable amount of stomach content, so maybe that could have altered the figure of its weight, assuming it was measured.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

I don't think I've seen this studies posted here, correct me if I'm wrong.

From the study: Spatial organization and food habits of jaguars (Panthera onca) in a floodplain forest, by Azevedo and Murray, the average weights for captured jaguars in an area or the Southern Pantanal we're as follows:

The range of weights and the ages of the jaguars were not given, though they were stated to be adults.

Average for females (n:5) was 61.5 kg
Average for males (n:6) was 99.7 kg

From the study: Comparison of semen samples collected from wild and captive jaguars (Panthera onca) by urethral catheterization after pharmacological induction by Araujo et al, found the following average for 4 males at on the Pantanal:

Average 110.5 kg, range 96-130 kg.
I believe the males from Barranco Alto sampled here are Sossego and Mancha Preta, the other two being from Taimã.

A few conclusions from the data above, when discussing the mass range and averages for Pantanal jaguars we find a range of ~100 kg in the lowest areas to 116 kg in the highest one (Caiman Ecological Refuge, range 102-140+ kg). The average gathered of ~110 kg from all recent captures seems to be a nice middle point between these different ranges and an accurate representation of what an adult male from the Pantanal should weight at more often then not (i.e. Aju being an average-sized Pantanal male jaguar), with males at 100 kg and lower being small ones, and anything between 120 - 140 kg being large ones, and 140+ kg being outliers.

Another thing to notice is that jaguars grow significantly smaller in captivity. This is something I read recently in the book Jaguars of the Northern Pantanal, and is corroborated by the second study. My belief is that in captivity jaguars lack the ability to gorge on prey the way they do in the wild when capturing large animals, and this might force them to limit their growth to a specific level. Very rarely is ever do captive jaguars reach or surpass 100 kg in weight, while in the wild this is a common occurrence.

KRA123 Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-18-2021, 11:31 AM by KRA123 )

"with males at 100 kg and lower being small ones, and anything between 120 - 140 kg being large ones, and 140+ kg being outliers." This is similar to my opinion on the topic, except I think that the 'large' range extends to about 135 kg at the highest end, and anything above that is exceptional.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-01-2021, 10:51 PM by Balam )

(05-23-2020, 10:13 PM)Balam Wrote:
MODERN WEIGHT LIST FOR PANTANAL JAGUARS (M)

Last Update: January, 24, 2021

A few changes made to the table, at this point we can conclude it is finished baring any new captures or data that may arise in the future.
DJ and I opted for erasing the male killed by the Miranda highway as the source was not strong enough to warrant its placement here. All other values have been verified and as stated before come from official primary or secondary sources.

The sample size of 63 individuals, with an average of around 109 kg, a range of 75-148 (keeping in mind that Joker might be the heaviest one as we don't have his total weight in the absolutes) Is consistent with the claims made by Rafael Hoogesteijn that jaguars from the Pantanal are larger than those from the Llanos, of which he found an average of around 104 kg, with a small difference of 6 kg between those populations using the two different data sets.

In terms of specific areas in the Pantanal, Caiman Ecological Refuge (CER) yielded the highest average using the values provided by Oncafari and Furtado: 112 kg and n:17; in contrast to Porto Jofre in the northern Pantanal, the average was 108.5 n:15. Based on these values I don't believe there is a difference between northern and southern Pantanal jaguars in terms of sizes, areas with a larger quantity of prey may sustain a larger number of jaguars per square km, but as long as the prey is abundant jaguars will show similar values irrespective of the part of the Pantanal they're in.
3 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-29-2021, 12:04 AM by Balam )

I have finally managed to get my hands on data from the Chaco! @Dark Jaguar @peter @Pckts, and the rest of interested viewers.

This data comes from the study: Jaguar movement database: a GPS‐based movement dataset of an apex predator in the Neotropics, almost every single renowned jaguar biologist like Hoogesteijn, Tortato, Crashaw et al. Collaborated in the formulation of this public database which I have attached here. It contains the weights for jaguars fro multiple locations that we can discuss here:

For the data on the jaguars from the Chaco I contacted the biologist Jeffrey Thompson, whose done most of the captures of jaguars in Paraguay, and utilized the data with his name on it to create a table for Chaco specimens. Please keep in mind that some of the weights may belong to jaguars from the Paraguayan Pantanal or Atlantic Forest as the captured locations were not inputted in the file, but as far as I know he's only done captures in the Chaco so I'm quite confident these are all from that biome. Here it is:

EDITED

This jaguar that I posted recently was captured by him and I'm assuming is ID:10, as he confirmed to me he weighed 110 kg:

Just as I stated before, jaguars from the Chaco grow similar in size to those from the Cerrado, both populations producing jaguars capable of reaching or surpassing 110 kg in weight. I'm hopeful we will get more data from them in the future, we're lacking plenty from Bolivia.
4 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-10-2021, 02:13 AM by Balam )

@Dark Jaguar do you mind sharing the source for the 110 kg Chaco male you speak of? The one on my table I'm pretty sure is the one on the picture, that male was captured alongside 4 females and 5 cougars as part of the study Evaluación de la conectividad ecológica en el noroeste de Paraguay: yaguareté y puma como modelos, however, the weights were not publicized in that study so the weight information was given to me by Jeffrey:

The Argentinian male Qaramta I believe is heavier now, when he was captured his ribs were showing which was an indication of poor health at the time. The camera traps of him and Tania showed him much more stocky and healthy, it'll be interesting to see how much he weighs next time they capture him.

I believe the jaguars from Kaa Iya National Park in Bolivia will yield similar values to the ones on the table, my guess is adult males there weigh between 80-120 kg, this is solely based on indications from people who have seen those jaguars and say they are somewhat smaller than those form the Pantanal. On the other side, those from San Miguelito appear heavier and larger to me, Panthera estimated the weight for Zeus as 130 kg once, and Aries as I've said before was estimated as 120-130 kg by the people in charge of monitoring them there, unfortunately, both poached.

We will need more data to get a clearer picture but what is clear is that jaguars from the Chaco are up there in terms of size.

As it pertains to those from the Atlantic Forest, I've always thought they had the potential to go above 100 kg in weight, as data shows the prey biomass they consume in places like Iguazu is extremely low, with animals like agouti being their main prey. And yet males there are able to surpass 70 kg in weight, which tells you a lot about their size potential. Also, those jaguars from the Argentinian side like Arariti and Sixto (form Yungas) have already been estimated by Redyaguarete to weigh close to or over 100 kg, they're very stocky and compact but full of muscles.

According to a study by Calvacanti the hogs and boars that have colonized the Atlantic forest are larger than those from the Pantanal and thus predation on them by jaguars is low. I wonder if the reason why predation on them is low was due to the alien nature of them as a relatively recent prey because I've also read reports that the expansion of hogs through the Atlantic Forest is making jaguars colonized areas where they went extinct. Therefore I believe more data is needed in this regard to reach a conclusion concerning hog-jaguar relations in this area.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2021, 04:03 PM by Dark Jaguar )

OMG  Confused WHAT A MASSIVE Coincidence I cannot believe on this right now.

I just saw Ronaldo Morato replied to my e-mail I sent him yesterday.

@Balam

Some of those jaguars are actually from Atlantic Forest I sent Ronaldo Morato from CENAP/ICMBio yesterday in the morning  the e-mail and he answered.

Those jaguars are from the study ''Jaguar movement database: a GPS‐based movement dataset of an apex predator in the Neotropics''

https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley....2/ecy.2379

And in them includes weight datas of 117 individuals of jaguars, a few from Varzeas do Rio Ivilhemas, Morro do Diabo e Alto Rio Paraná but since I noticed there wasn't weight published I decided to e-mail him but I wasn't expecting him to answer. Thats freaking great and what a massive coincidence as I just posted my thoughts on jaguars from that region.

check his reply to my e-mail here the jaguar addition information is what I asked him yesterday on this one.

We have jags weighting 115,124,128,130 kg What the Hell.  Confused

Ronaldo is such a great guy and said he could help me in anything I need. I gotta reply him back.

as you can see the Additional information of the e-mail I received of the scientific study ''Jaguar movement database: a GPS‐based movement dataset of an apex predator in the Neotropics''I just saw that he also sent me the weights of thew pantanal jaguars from Taiamã I also asked in my e-mail yesterday.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

That's awesome !
2 users Like TheNormalGuy's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2021, 06:00 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(01-27-2021, 05:29 AM)Balam Wrote:
(01-27-2021, 05:20 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: OMG  Confused WHAT A MASSIVE Coincidence I cannot believe on this right now.

@Balam those jaguars aren't Chaco jaguars.

Those jaguars are actually from Atlantic Forest I sent Ronaldo Morato from CENAP/ICMBio yesterday in the morning  the e-mail and he answered.

Those jaguars are from the study ''Jaguar movement database: a GPS‐based movement dataset of an apex predator in the Neotropics''

And in them includes weight datas of 117 individuals of At. Forest jaguars from Varzeas do Rio Ivilhemas, Morro do Diabo e Alto Rio Paraná but since I noticed there wasn't weight published I decided to e-mail him but I wasn't expecting him to answer. Thats freaking great and what a massive coincidence as I just posted my thoughts on jaguars from that region.

check his reply to my e-mail here the jaguar addition information is what I asked him yesterday on this one.

We have At.Forest jags weighting 115,124,128,130 kg What the Hell.  Confused

Ronaldo is such a great guy and said he could help me in anything I need. I gotta reply him back.

as you can see the Additional information of the e-mail I received of the scientific study ''Jaguar movement database: a GPS‐based movement dataset of an apex predator in the Neotropics''I just saw that he also sent me the weights of thew pantanal jaguars from Taiamã I also asked in my e-mail yesterday.

Hold on there is so much to go over here!! Give me some time to go over this data plus what we have from the other database. Let's discuss this in PMs and then make a post here because I'm overwhelmed.

In addition to that there are also the At.Forest Jaguars from a different scientifically published study I once posted here from Morro do Diabo, back then we only had these 2 males but now we got a whole bunch of them.

Individuals captured for that study

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(01-27-2021, 05:20 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: OMG  Confused WHAT A MASSIVE Coincidence I cannot believe on this right now.

Those jaguars are actually from Atlantic Forest I sent Ronaldo Morato from CENAP/ICMBio yesterday in the morning  the e-mail and he answered.

And in them includes weight datas of 117 individuals of At. Forest jaguars from Varzeas do Rio Ivilhemas, Morro do Diabo e Alto Rio Paraná but since I noticed there wasn't weight published I decided to e-mail him but I wasn't expecting him to answer. Thats freaking great and what a massive coincidence as I just posted my thoughts on jaguars from that region.

See if you can get a little more info on capture protocol as well as measurements if you can?

Nice work, both of you.
3 users Like Pckts's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

(01-27-2021, 06:00 AM)Pckts Wrote:

See if you can get a little more info on capture protocol as well as measurements if you can?

Nice work, both of you.

Excellent work that resulted in a great thread overall. Tell those who informed you their cooperation is much appreciated by all interested in jaguars.
3 users Like peter's post