There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Maps of Sabi Sand Coalitions Males and Prides

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Great updated map, thanks!
The Kruger male appears to be the one with the most lionesses, he is the playboy Lol .
5 users Like afortich's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-25-2022, 10:54 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I think there are only 4 Talamati Young Females left.

Yea, i notice this mistake from last map in April, where i forgot to delete Snip Tailed female who got killed.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom hotbit Offline

Around 130 lions, as reserve area is 650 sq km (if I found correctly), on average density is 1 lion per 5 sq km.
Density seems to be at least two times higher than in Kruger Park (~12 sq km for a lion: area 19632 sq km, lions ~1650)
5 users Like hotbit's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-23-2022, 06:24 PM)hotbit Wrote: Around 130 lions, as reserve area is 650 sq km (if I found correctly), on average density is 1 lion per 5 sq km.
Density seems to be at least two times higher than in Kruger Park (~12 sq km for a lion: area 19632 sq km, lions ~1650)

If Willem Botha's often quoted remark about the Mapogos killing 100 lions is accurate, it shows just how destructive to the lion population they were, the very definition of a wrecking crew. If true, they wiped out nearly every lion in Sabi Sands, based on this current data. Perhaps the population was a lot more dense back then.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-24-2022, 01:07 AM)BA0701 Wrote: If Willem Botha's often quoted remark about the Mapogos killing 100 lions is accurate, it shows just how destructive to the lion population they were, the very definition of a wrecking crew. If true, they wiped out nearly every lion in Sabi Sands, based on this current data. Perhaps the population was a lot more dense back then.

They didn't kill 100 lions, that was a bit of overexaggeration for show pourposes.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

RookiePundit Offline

(11-24-2022, 01:07 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-23-2022, 06:24 PM)hotbit Wrote: Around 130 lions, as reserve area is 650 sq km (if I found correctly), on average density is 1 lion per 5 sq km.

If Willem Botha's often quoted remark about the Mapogos killing 100 lions is accurate, it shows just how destructive to the lion population they were, the very definition of a wrecking crew. If true, they wiped out nearly every lion in Sabi Sands, based on this current data. Perhaps the population was a lot more dense back then.

More importantly they failed at siring succesful replacement, most notably also due to the infanticide of the coalition progeny that gave MrT the Satan monicker. And with the current Othawa pride fate, there is potentially even more dead ends of their bloodline.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

Cath2020 Online
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2022, 10:00 PM by Cath2020 )

(11-24-2022, 02:43 AM)RookiePundit Wrote:
(11-24-2022, 01:07 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

More importantly they failed at siring succesful replacement, most notably also due to the infanticide of the coalition progeny that gave MrT the Satan monicker. And with the current Othawa pride fate, there is potentially even more dead ends of their bloodline.

That's true and so sad.  The Othawa Pride probably has the last of the Mapogo legacy from when the Mapogos were together.  That means the potential bloodline of Rasta, Pretty Boy, Makhulu, and Dreadlocks. I don't know of any other pride with their bloodline out there.  One of the reasons why I think they resonate with so many lion fans.  All of their sons were euthanized, wrongly so, and these were their last daughters and their offspring (You could argue that Sabi Sands 'owes' a debt to the Mapogos for putting down their sons).  The odds of the 3 young females surviving are lowish....so I am trying not to get too attached to their plight, hard as it is.  They stand a good chance of probably being taken out by the PC Males eventually....and perhaps the B'hams.  They will have to evade all these males for at least the next 1-2 years. This pride is definitely the most followed and popular, perhaps out of all the prides known right now.  If they all perish, I will take a long break from following lions at the very least.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2022, 11:59 PM by criollo2mil )

(11-24-2022, 09:58 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:  “ The Othawa Pride probably has the last of the Mapogo legacy from when the Mapogos were together”

“these were their last daughters and their offspring”

The two eldest two Mhangheni lionesses are direct daughters of the Mapogo also.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BorntobeWild Online
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2022, 12:49 AM by BorntobeWild )

Plus Gingerella is their bloodline. 

Why did Sabi Sand euthanize their sons? Did they get infected with some sort of epidemic disease ?
2 users Like BorntobeWild's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(11-25-2022, 12:47 AM)东方琳琅STD Wrote: Plus Gingerella is their bloodline. 

Why did Sabi Sand euthanize their sons? Did they get infected with some sort of epidemic disease ?

“bloodline” is very different.   If we’re to use bloodline then you should include Kambulas As well
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

They got out of the fence after a storm knocked a section down.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2022, 02:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

Guys, I think this is off topic, we are spamming this thread with things we have thread for (Mapogos)..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-25-2022, 02:43 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Guys, I think this is off topic, we are spamming this thread with things we have thread for (Mapogos)..

Not sure I'd consider it spamming, we'll call it a tangent, given the impetus was a remark based on data contained in your maps, the way conversations tend to naturally flow sometimes.
7 users Like BA0701's post

Cath2020 Online

(11-24-2022, 11:56 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(11-24-2022, 09:58 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:  “ The Othawa Pride probably has the last of the Mapogo legacy from when the Mapogos were together”

“these were their last daughters and their offspring”

The two eldest two Mhangheni lionesses are direct daughters of the Mapogo also.

I meant the oldest 4 Mapogos potentially....though no genomic analysis has been done, or at least revealed to the public.  I believe the last oldest 3 Othawa Lionesses (which obviously included the OM's and Sassy's mom) were probably not daughters of the youngest 2 Mapogos that sired all the Manghenis.  All 6 were together when the Othawa cubs were born back in 2007/early 2008.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Cath2020 Online
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2022, 11:15 PM by Cath2020 )

No, not at all.  They merely escaped from a protective barrier one time.  For this infringement, they got a death sentence.  Believe it or not.  It was a VERY controversial decision.  If it had happened in more enlightened periods....like more recently, they might have just been relocated or been given more chances, at least.  There was a whopping 6 sub-adult males, if I'm not mistaken! Imagine the progeny they could have left behind.  I believe this judgement was motivated in part by the reputation their sires had, but it was no fault of the sons of the Sand River Pride.  They were nomadic or almost so.
3 users Like Cath2020's post