There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mangheni Pride

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Looks like it's one of the older cubs that's missing/absent. Hopefully they turn up.

@Mapokser These three lionesses have a big responsibility on their shoulders now. Hopefully the original Mhangheni girls taught them well.

But I don't think Tumbela is much of a threat (right now), he's looking very skinny in those latest videos and I think Tinya could probably handle him on her own if he's in such a frail condition. Thank god the Nkuhuma male has moved off otherwise as you said the situation would be very different.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Go131810 Online

(07-07-2024, 08:44 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Looks like it's one of the older cubs that's missing/absent. Hopefully they turn up.

@Mapokser These three lionesses have a big responsibility on their shoulders now. Hopefully the original Mhangheni girls taught them well.

But I don't think Tumbela is much of a threat (right now), he's looking very skinny in those latest videos and I think Tinya could probably handle him on her own if he's in such a frail condition. Thank god the Nkuhuma male has moved off otherwise as you said the situation would be very different.

I did not know one of the younger cubs disappear. Hopefully he does show up. The Tumbela male lion being there may not be good. Maybe he is no threat and won’t harm anybody, but if he is taking from the cubs in a big pride. Like you said it is a big responsibility. I do not know how it was with the 5 adult lionesses, but I would think they did things a certain way. 5 helps with hunting, and taking care of many cubs; I am no expert but the older lionesses I would imagine help with roaring, help in hunting, and being with their cubs.
2 users Like Go131810's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(07-07-2024, 10:39 PM)Go131810 Wrote:
(07-07-2024, 08:44 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Looks like it's one of the older cubs that's missing/absent. Hopefully they turn up.

I did not know one of the younger cubs disappear. Hopefully he does show up. The Tumbela male lion being there may not be good. Maybe he is no threat and won’t harm anybody, but if he is taking from the cubs in a big pride. Like you said it is a big responsibility. I do not know how it was with the 5 adult lionesses, but I would think they did things a certain way. 5 helps with hunting, and taking care of many cubs; I am no expert but the older lionesses I would imagine help with roaring, help in hunting, and being with their cubs.
Tumbela maybe hasn’t encountered this many powerful lionesses before. I worry that he will bully them off a kill and hurt cubs in the process.
Hopefully the lionesses call the PCMs to come help oust Tumbela?
I always wonder if their roars are “language “ and they can tell of a lion is doing a territorial roar vs a “I’m lost” or calling for their pride males roar.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2024, 02:21 AM by Duco Ndona )

There is a clear difference between a contact call or territorial call and there are all sorts of growls or noices meaning stop, go and such. 
But they are not language in the way we know it. Its a bit on the same level as crying, screaming and moaning for us. No actual words but most people can immidiatly understand their meaning. 

So while the Mangheni will call for the PCmales to come over becouse there is trouble. They wont be able to tell its Tumbella.
I do hope they come to help though.

Mwk85 Offline

(07-08-2024, 02:20 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: There is a clear difference between a contact call or territorial call and there are all sorts of growls or noices meaning stop, go and such. 
But they are not language in the way we know it. Its a bit on the same level as crying, screaming and moaning for us. No actual words but most people can immidiatly understand their meaning. 

So while the Mangheni will call for the PCmales to come over becouse there is trouble. They wont be able to tell its Tumbella.
I do hope they come to help though.

They're preoccupied with three Nkuhuma females at the Arathusa airstrip at the moment, unfortunately.
1 user Likes Mwk85's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

This might be the beginning of "cubs start going miasing after the fathers die/are ousted/abandon them".

@criollo2mil do you know since when the cub is missing? Did they disappear in the last few days or have them being missing for longer?

If it is for longer then it's likely that was one of the older, almost 1,5yo cubs.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

So I’ve noticed even since the other two females passed away the remaining mhangeni adults haven’t been as confident and comfortable. So my question is the two older females being gone is it affecting the way the remaining females are acting right now?
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

It definitely is, they almost lost half their adult members and a lot of their strength, their mothers that had been with them their entire lives, on top of that their dominant males seemingly abandoned them.

Anyway, Savanna gave an update:

*This image is copyright of its original author

So the dead cub isn't the youngest one:

*This image is copyright of its original author

This is a little bit intriging, often in such circumstances, the youngest would be the first one to die, see how all the younger Othawa cubs died, and 2 of the oldest were the ones to survive, on top of that, youngest cub is much younger compared to his siblings, especially the older ones.

I wonder what happened to the missing cub.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Didn't tumbela also mate with these lioness??? Obviously we don't know if he killed 1 but wouldn't he believe some of these cubs were his??

Go131810 Online

(07-08-2024, 09:16 PM)Mapokser Wrote: This might be the beginning of "cubs start going miasing after the fathers die/are ousted/abandon them".

@criollo2mil do you know since when the cub is missing? Did they disappear in the last few days or have them being missing for longer?

If it is for longer then it's likely that was one of the older, almost 1,5yo cubs.

That is so strange I wonder what could have happened. 
Wasn’t the other male lions in the West are the Nukhuma male lion and the Talamatie male lion? This is sad hopefully the Plain Camp male could come back. I do not understand what could have made them decide to not see their cubs. Right now they have been giving attention to the Nukhuma lionesses. Hopefully what happens with other lionesses when the male lions are not around does not happen. It is strange one of the older cubs has not been seen. Hopefully he is ok, but when a male sub adult is missing the worst of what could have happened is hunger, or maybe hunting ? The male lions not being must stress to them it must of put pressure on the older lionesses which is why they may not be around ? Injuries and getting sick when pressure to hunt and protect many cubs; is difficult for older lions. I was also thinking the other sub adults in the west the son and daughter sub adults of Ridge nose? Couldn’t they be competing with other lions? I remember the young Othowa male lion with the Othowa lionesses would compete with the Mahangeni pride.

Rui Ferreira Offline

(07-09-2024, 09:54 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Didn't tumbela also mate with these lioness??? Obviously we don't know if he killed 1 but wouldn't he believe some of these cubs were his??

I dont know how to post prints here, but they yt channel @TheMapogoLions posted a comment that according to savanna reserve Tumbela killed the missing cub 
The video wich he made the comment was posted today in the video with Mangheni Pride
What do you guys think?

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its possible, be it directly or indirectly by chasing the pride around. 

In any case, his presence there is bad news. Its best if PCmales come back sure to get rid of him, unfortunately they appear not to be reliable pridemales at the moment..
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(07-09-2024, 05:09 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(07-09-2024, 09:54 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Didn't tumbela also mate with these lioness??? Obviously we don't know if he killed 1 but wouldn't he believe some of these cubs were his??

I dont know how to post prints here, but they yt channel @TheMapogoLions posted a comment that according to savanna reserve Tumbela killed the missing cub 
The video wich he made the comment was posted today in the video with Mangheni Pride
What do you guys think?

No, Tumbela was NOT the culprit because the cub went missing in Singita before the Pride moved further west and a]was found d by Tumbela These YouTube channels have too many crazy and uninformed fans that many times just spread false information to create drama.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(07-08-2024, 09:16 PM)Mapokser Wrote: This might be the beginning of "cubs start going miasing after the fathers die/are ousted/abandon them".

A guide at Singita noticed only 9 on two separate sightings he had. So it must be a few days.

The Pride has really been looking thin for a while. If they don’t get a few good kills, we may see more loss.

Sad
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Thankfully they have full bellies now, but we can see how much they were struggling as they are missing some mass:

4 users Like Mapokser's post