WildFact
Mangheni Pride - Printable Version

+- WildFact (https://wildfact.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Information Section (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-information-section)
+--- Forum: Terrestrial Wild Animals (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-terrestrial-wild-animals)
+---- Forum: Wild Cats (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-wild-cats)
+----- Forum: Lion (https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-lion)
+----- Thread: Mangheni Pride (/topic-mangheni-pride)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Mangheni Pride - BA0701 - 06-05-2022

Creating the thread again. Apologies to everyone affected by the deletion of the original.

This thread is for posting Mangheni Pride specific posts. This will include breakaway prides (until they've re-established themselves and received a name of their own, as well as nomadic males who have left the pride until they have met the same criteria.

Our hope is for these pride specific threads to become a central repository for information pertaining to specific prides, both historical and current, in the same vane as the coalition specific threads.

RE: Mangheni Pride - Tr1x24 - 06-06-2022

Short history of Mhangeni pride :

Mhangeni pride (or Tsalala breakaway's) are 4 females born early to mid 2009 into Tsalala pride, they where sired by Mapogo lions and where daughters of Tailess and Tailed Tsalala females. 

In mid 2010, Majingilanes overthrown Mapogos in that area, and where pushing for Tsalalas. Young subadults would definitely get killed if they stayed with the pride, but they where still too young to survive on their own. 

Here is where their grandmother, famous first tailess female, BB, steps in. She left her daughters, who accepted Majingilanes and took 4 remaining young sub females, and went nomadic, forming a breakaway

BB successfully raised 4 females to maturity towards 2012, when she returned to her daughters, as young females where old enough to survive on their own now. In beginning of 2013, 4 females started mating with Majingilanes. 

At that time, Tsalala breakaway's where named Mhangeni pride, shortly after they give birth to their first cubs. 

In 2013, Mhangeni females found their grandmother and female who saved their lives, BB, on a kill, they had cubs now and lost connection with her, sadly, they killed her. 

Under protection of prime Majingilane males, Mhangenis successfully raise this generation to maturity. Towards late 2015, females where returning back to estrus and started to mate again. Around that time 6 young females and 3 young males left their mothers and formed breakaway. Those females will later become Kambula pride. 

2nd generation of Majingilane offspring where born from very late 2015 to mid 2016. Large pride and cubs where thriving towards beginning of 2018, just as last generation. 

But with beginning of 2018, unfortuned turn of events. Majingilanes died of from old age, aswell as 1 of the females. Mhangeni females where back into estrus and new males, Bboys, where coming from the north. Females abandon Mhangeni subs and went mating with Bboys. 

There where 12 Mhangeni subs at that time (9 males and 3 females), majority of who where under or just around 2 yrs of age. They went nomadic. 

This is one of the most tragic stories in recent Sabi Sands history. 12 subs where trying their best for whole 2018 to survive, but mange, malnutrition and overall hard nomadic life took its tool. 2 females somehow managed to return and be accepted back by their mothers, rest where not that lucky. By the beginning of 2019, out of the rest, only 1, oldest male survived, he was called Big Boy. He, with his 2 smaller brothers followed Nkuhumas towards the late 2018, his brothers died, but he managed to survive and be accepted by Nkuhumas. He died later on in late 2019. 

As for Mhangenis, they give birth to Bboys offspring soon after in early to mid 2018. But Bboys didn't become their pride males, they chosen bigger Kambula pride, their daughters. 

Towards late 2018, young, nomadic male from Othawa pride started to be seen with Mhangenis, but he didn’t harm young cubs. 

Out of that offspring, only 1 female cub survived towards late 2018, she will be later known as Tinya. 

Young Othawa Male establish himself as dominant male of the pride. From beginning of his dominance over Mhangenis, to his demise in May 2021, he sired numerous cubs in different times, but only 1 cub is still alive today. 

After his demise, Mhangenis are avoiding other males to this day, occasionaly some females move to mate on their own.

Here comes the controversy about Mhangenis, since 2016 offspring to this day, they successfully raise to adulthood only 3 females. That wont be nothing unusual, but, in that span they give birth to very large number off cubs, dont know exact number, but prob more or around 30. 3 out of 30 is not great percentage. 

Regardless, future of Mhangeni pride will be interesting to follow. 

Current status:

- 3 females born in 2009
- 2 females born late 2015 
- 1 female born early 2018
- 1 female cub born 2021

RE: Mangheni Pride - Mabingilane - 06-06-2022

Always writing phenomenal Summaries. Nice stuff

Just a nit-picking adjustment: 

- Older "Mangheni 12" Female (Big Boys Sister) - Late 2015

- Youngest "Mangheni 12" Female - Early to Mid 2016. Between March & Late June.

RE: Mangheni Pride - DE_66 - 06-08-2022

Mhangene Pride kill two wildebeest - YouTube

Excellent ambush technique to get the wildebeests.
The girls were in a playful mood after the hunt was complete.

RE: Mangheni Pride - DE_66 - 06-08-2022

Old video of the first Mangheni litter as sub adults in early 2016.  Some of them may be the actual Mangheni lionesses.  I do see at least  one sub male.  It's hard to tell the ages of the females.
Battle of idube,the quickest lion hunt ever - YouTube

RE: Mangheni Pride - Tr1x24 - 06-08-2022

(06-08-2022, 12:41 PM)DE_66 Wrote: Old video of the first Mangheni litter as sub adults in early 2016.  Some of them may be the actual Mangheni lionesses.  I do see at least  one sub male.  It's hard to tell the ages of the females.
Battle of idube,the quickest lion hunt ever - YouTube

Yea, those are young Kambulas.

RE: Mangheni Pride - Tr1x24 - 06-08-2022

(06-08-2022, 11:10 AM)DE_66 Wrote: Excellent ambush technique to get the wildebeests.

Tinya is such a playful lioness, since she was small cub, she was always dorking aroung with Othawa male, and still does, great to see. 

Her body size also is quite impresivne, very bulky and muscular female, look at size difference in the body between her and Big Boy's sister:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Other younger Mhangeni female seems to be limping, is that old limp? I remember her being injured quite some time ago

RE: Mangheni Pride - BA0701 - 06-08-2022

(06-08-2022, 08:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-08-2022, 11:10 AM)DE_66 Wrote: Excellent ambush technique to get the wildebeests.

Tinya is such a playful lioness, since she was small cub, she was always dorking aroung with Othawa male, and still does, great to see. 

Her body size also is quite impresivne, very bulky and muscular female, look at size difference in the body between her and Big Boy's sister:

Other younger Mhangeni female seems to be limping, is that old limp? I remember her being injured quite some time ago

Some of those interactions between OM and Tinya were some of my all time favorites. OM allowing cubs to stick around, and the way he interacted with them, especially her were beautiful to see.

RE: Mangheni Pride - Potato - 06-09-2022

(06-08-2022, 08:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Her body size also is quite impresivne, very bulky and muscular female, look at size difference in the body between her and Big Boy's sister
Rather Mhangeni females sired by Majingilanes are small (at least in compare to other Mhangeni females), not that Tinya is some particularly large (for bloodline at least so in comparison to old Mhangeni females and Kambulas), through of course she is not small either.

RE: Mangheni Pride - Tr1x24 - 06-09-2022

One of favorite, more recent capture of Mhangeni squad with OM, April 2020 :

Photo credits : Gareth Pool

RE: Mangheni Pride - DE_66 - 06-10-2022

(06-08-2022, 08:21 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

She's definitely a tank for a lioness.  Those Birmingham Pride genes trickling down.  I wish the BBoys had had more cubs with them.  I guess there's still a small chance that they'll accept Nhena and NYM, but who knows...

I'm not sure if it's the same one who was injured before.  I can't tell them apart.  I thought the limp was pretty bad, but then she started dragging the carcass easily enough.  Hopefully she'll fully recover.

(06-08-2022, 08:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yea, those are young Kambulas.

I almost posted it in the Kambula thread, but since the brothers were still with them and this was before they got the name, I figured it might as well go here.  I've been looking for more footage of them from this time period, but haven't found a whole lot.

RE: Mangheni Pride - Tonpa - 06-14-2022

Tinya and the cub 
Photo by Charita Venter

RE: Mangheni Pride - Tonpa - 06-21-2022

Mhengenis on a zebra

RE: Mangheni Pride - Mdz123 - 06-21-2022

(06-21-2022, 02:50 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Mhengenis on a zebra

Its crazy how all 6 lioness are working together to raise and protect this 1 lonely cub. He/She is the last chance for an offspring of the Othawa male to reach adulthood

RE: Mangheni Pride - Tr1x24 - 06-21-2022

(06-21-2022, 06:17 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Its crazy how all 6 lioness are working together to raise and protect this 1 lonely cub. He/She is the last chance for an offspring of the Othawa male to reach adulthood

Recently 5, 1 of the older ones is mating with PC males, will be interesting to see, if she gives birth, how will that turn out, will she return to her pride, or stay with PC males.