There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mangheni Pride

Mwk85 Offline

(04-22-2023, 01:18 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: New Mini PCMs have met their Aunties.   
(04-22-2023, 01:18 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: New Mini PCMs have met their Aunties.   

I think I see at least three.  I believe the mother is Tinya.  

I think I see at least three.  I believe the mother is Tinya.  

Hope the best for 'em. If they're able to survive to adulthood the previous subadult's death won't be in vain in the end.
5 users Like Mwk85's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Beautiful. I hope PCM meet them soon and take their time to make sure nobody will kill them in Singita.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

So this is 1/4 apparently new cubbies from two litters.   

It is suspected The Limping Mhangeni and Tinya are new mothers.

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

They were looking for dens together so it make sense, still I'd hope for more than 4 cubs in 2 litters, but luckily the other 3 females will have cubs soon too.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Mwk85 Offline

Potentially eight (8) new cubs in the pride.

9 users Like Mwk85's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Truly amazing. So the supposed fertility issues weren't true at all and the new generation is delivering the future of the pride.

One of the old lioness, I think the one who lost her cubs recently mated with PCM, I hope she and the other one can also have their cubs, the more the better.

I alsp hope the PCM will focus on Manghenis now that they have so many cubs, they are spending all their time in the Western Sector when Singita is wide open to threats.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

(04-24-2023, 12:06 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Truly amazing. So the supposed fertility issues weren't true at all and the new generation is delivering the future of the pride.

One of the old lioness, I think the one who lost her cubs recently mated with PCM, I hope she and the other one can also have their cubs, the more the better.

I alsp hope the PCM will focus on Manghenis now that they have so many cubs, they are spending all their time in the Western Sector when Singita is wide open to threats.

Amazing!  First time mother at 7!  I'm quite thrilled that she gets her chance. Big Boy's bloodline might live on through his sister who looks like his female twin. Long time in the making and hopefully the PC Males won't abandon the pride...... 

Cubs are bouncy and quite pale ones.  Can't wait for close-ups!
5 users Like Cath2020's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(04-24-2023, 05:48 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(04-24-2023, 12:06 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Truly amazing. So the supposed fertility issues weren't true at all and the new generation is delivering the future of the pride.

Amazing!  First time mother at 7!  I'm quite thrilled that she gets her chance. Big Boy's bloodline might live on through his sister who looks like his female twin. Long time in the making and hopefully the PC Males won't abandon the pride...... 

Cubs are bouncy and quite pale ones.  Can't wait for close-ups!
Does anyone have a photo of big boys sister she reminds me of another lion
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Mwk85 Offline

Definitely feel like this will be the true test to see what kind of fathers they'll actually be.
5 users Like Mwk85's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2023, 11:11 AM by Mapokser )

I wasn't completely sure if I'd post this in the Mapogo thread or here, but I ended up deciding on posting here .

A bit of trivia on the origins of the pride, it's often said/accepted ( or at least I always heard this ) that the Mangheni pride was sired by the 2 Mlowathi Mapogos, Mr.T and Kinky Tail. I think because Londolozi was the core of the Tsalala territory and Mr.T and KT controlled most of that land and everything east of that. Maybe not different from how it is said today that Talamatis are Dark Mane's cubs despite all 3 Avocas having mated with the females ( because DM "raised" Talamatis after the split ), or even how it is said that Hairy Belly and Ginger are the fathers of the Nkuhuma cubs because they stayed with this pride after the Matimba split, despite all of them having mated with the Nkuhuma females.

However, according to Rob, all 6 Mapogos controlled the Tsalala pride even after the split and he has videos of the Western Mapogos interacting with the Tsalala cubs when they were bigger ( so I doubt it's the lost litter, but rather the surviving Manghenis, plus his highlights videos started in mid 2009, therefore he can't be talking about the 2008 litters ), and although this doesn't prove they are the fathers, it's a huge indication that they also mated with the Tsalalas to produce those litters, especially when we're talking about the Mapogos, known for killing their own nephews ( besides Mr.T killing Ximhungwe cubs, it was also said by WildEarth that the 5 younger Mapogos killed Makhulu's Othawa cubs in 2007 ).

Rob then straight up says we'll never know which of the 6 are the fathers of the 4 Manghenis.

Last but not least, he adds that the Tsalala females denned on Othawa Property and the 4 Western Mapogos spent more time in Othawa than the 2 Mlowathi did.

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author

I always thought it was a shame that only 1/6 Mapogo was able to pass his genes through the Othawa pride, which is nearly extinct ( assuming the 2 Othawa coalitions failed on Kruger ), but in reality the Western Mapogos could very well be fathers of some of the 4 Mangheni females. Makhulu, PB, Rasta, and/or Dreadlocks could very well still have a living daughter or two, as well many granddaughters and great-grandcubs in the Mangheni and Kambula pride.
9 users Like Mapokser's post

Contributor

A combination post that includes the Mhangeni Pride and some of the cubs looking well 

Mhangeni in slides 5-7

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

Mhangeni w at least 5 cubbies at this sighting

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

The confirmed count of the Mini PCMs is up to 9 !   Woo Hoo!!  Wow

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-04-2023, 11:16 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: The confirmed count of the Mini PCMs is up to 9 !   Woo Hoo!! 

Is it known if all 5 females are moms?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Guide said there are only 2 confirmed mothers 

It's speculated a third one also have cub(s) but the guide said it's still unconfirmed.
2 users Like Mapokser's post