There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(02-13-2024, 08:11 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: are all 6 Birmingham Breakaway males together ? other2 alive ?
I know as much as I can read in this Tanda Tula blog, nothink more.

(02-13-2024, 08:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: so if im reading this correctly...the Birmingham Breakaways are taking over the Mayambula Pride and already sired cubs with them?
So it seems. Hopefully it won't brink them into direct competition with Vuyela males.
2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

6 users Like Potato's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The Vuyela Pride

3 users Like afortich's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

Aside from the cheetahs, the weekend was filled with lions – three of the Vuyela males spent their time in the east, putting on daily roaring displays for our guests.  The youngest River Pride lioness was once again coming into estrus and “mating” with one of the Vuyela males.  I use the quotation marks as he was doing the work, but she clearly wasn’t interested – very unusual, but the same MO as the last time she was seen mating for over a week.  If this pattern repeats itself, she should get more into it over the coming days.  The mother of older cubs was seen in the area too, and on one afternoon, the three 6-month old cubs came out to join the Vuyela males before returning to their hiding spot.  The Giraffe Pride was seen in various fractions in the far west, but I don’t believe that there was much evidence of the Sark Breakaway Pride in the latter half of the week; they started the week in the west, with the four cubs and their mother spending a couple of days around one of the waterholes there, but we are not sure where they got to after that. 

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The youngest male from the Birmingham Pride is getting big! He still moves to avoid the Mbirhi males, but not quite going off of the territory he grew up on yet.

Although usually seen with two females, these females have now been mating with different males and this young lion has been left to his own devices for the time being. Soon he will need to move off and start his own story!

Mwk85 Offline

Avoca young male and Guernsey male. Said to have had an encounter with one of the Ross males, not sure of the circumstances or if any injuries were sustained by anyone.

7 users Like Mwk85's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

Before we got to the dogs though, we stopped in at Machaton dam and got to spend some time with two Vuyela male lions that came to quench their thirst in the late afternoon; earlier in the drive we had been with another Vuyela male still mating with the youngest River Pride female (and had to leave them to go and see the cheetah!).   

We were well rewarded with the sight and sound of two Vuyela males and two River Pride females roaring next to the vehicle.  The next morning we popped into Machaton dam, but didn’t see much, however not five minutes later the next guide that passed found the mating pair of lions approaching the dam, so we returned to see that the young lioness from the River Pride was now with another Vuyela male, and despite  not showing much interest in mating herself, the new male in attendance was clearly very eager and doing his best to persuade her. Interestingly, the lioness that gave birth earlier this month was seen mating again – and didn’t appear to be nursing, which could mean that they have lost yet another litter.  This lack of success of raising cubs is unusual for a pride with such a strong coalition of males, and the thought entered my mind that perhaps there was some foul play from within the Vuyela ranks?  Pure speculation, but time will tell if their luck improves.  After an extended absence this week, the lioness with the three 6-month-old cubs did eventually rejoin the pride and the guides got to see them a couple of days after my guests checked out. 

2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

BigLion39 Offline

Supposedly Guernsey/Young Avoca got into altercation with 1/2 Ross males. Not sure the outcome but I believe all are ok. Would love to know which Ross male and more info on it tho.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

What even happened to the Ross? What is their current situation, still territorial?
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-03-2024, 09:40 PM)Mapokser Wrote: still territorial?
Yes
4 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

4 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

I was thinking, is there any known example of duo coalition where both males reached atleast 13 yrs of age as are Ross males now? On top of that, they are still territorial.

I guess S.Matimbas are close, when Ginger died he was around 13 yrs old, but half their years they where part of bigger coalition.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-09-2024, 08:07 PM by Potato )

(03-09-2024, 07:00 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I was thinking, is there any known example of duo coalition where both males reached atleast 13 yrs of age as are Ross males now? On top of that, they are still territorial.

Clearly particularly healty genes out there, 13 years old and still in top condition. Very few males are able to reach that point, not even mentioning entire coalition to reach that point be that duo or not.
3 users Like Potato's post