There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-02-2021, 04:58 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 01:05 PM)lionuk Wrote: Three out of the five Vuyela males at Timbavati Game Reserve
These males look almost identical
Photo credit: Westvig

*This image is copyright of its original author

They are now permanent residents of western timbavati with jacaranda pride I believe?

Jacaranda pride are in the north with main territory on Ntsiri/Ingwelala and Umbabat. Old River pride males are their pride males. Or at least, they're seen with the Jacaranda pride
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(11-02-2021, 05:20 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 01:05 PM)lionuk Wrote: Three out of the five Vuyela males at Timbavati Game Reserve

They are now permanent residents of western timbavati with jacaranda pride I believe?

Jacaranda pride are in the north with main territory on Ntsiri/Ingwelala and Umbabat. Old River pride males are their pride males. Or at least, they're seen with the Jacaranda pride

Thanks for the clarification, I thought Old River pride males lived in Klaserie. Are the Vuyelas seen mating with any lionesses in Timbavati?
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-02-2021, 06:14 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, I thought Old River pride males lived in Klaserie. Are the Vuyelas seen mating with any lionesses in Timbavati?

With Sarks breakaway.
2 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-02-2021, 06:14 PM)Mdz123 Wrote:

old River pride males are seen in Klaserie, Ntsiri,Umbabat, Ingwelala and often in Northern Timbavati around Argyle property. The Vuyela males are seen with some females. Of which I identified one of the females as the Mafikizolo lioness.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-02-2021, 07:02 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Vuyela males are seen with some females. Of which I identified one of the females as the Mafikizolo lioness.
They are in Klaserie tho. Since he asked about females in Timbavati then there are only Sarks breakaway.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-02-2021, 08:06 PM)Potato Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 07:02 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Vuyela males are seen with some females. Of which I identified one of the females as the Mafikizolo lioness.
They are in Klaserie tho. Since he asked about females in Timbavati then there are only Sarks breakaway.

Mafikizolo lioness originated in Northern Timbavati. So, They're seen with her as well...
4 users Like Timbavati's post

BIGCATSXPERT Offline
Lion enthusiast

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVzDaPXgB_A/?utm_medium=copy_link
2 users Like BIGCATSXPERT's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"Introducing the Giraffe Pride cubs! They are still safely stashed away on a neighbouring property, but we are hoping to see movement in the upcoming weeks. Seems to be 2 different litters, based on the age of the cubs."

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Torchwood and Birmingham young male and  the two regal kings, Hercules and Sumatra males
Photo credit: Ziggi Hugo 
Caption: It seems like our region is currently a "No Go zone" for lion. Avocas moved further south away from these 4 males that scan the fringes of our lodge area. The Torchwood and Young Birmingham males and the Sumatra and Hercules males might clash at some time. Only time will tell.

6 users Like Timbavati's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

In this episode, the River pride right in the morning game drive. It was one of the very last times we saw them before they headed to the north because of the pressure asserted by the Scorro males with their formidable group of Mayanbula lionesses. It was a relief to see the last Nharhu male in good shape, and it was evident that he was ready to continue his reign over the pride.

5 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-03-2021, 04:52 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The Torchwood and Birmingham young male and  the two regal kings, Hercules and Sumatra males
Photo credit: Ziggi Hugo 
Caption: It seems like our region is currently a "No Go zone" for lion. Avocas moved further south away from these 4 males that scan the fringes of our lodge area. The Torchwood and Young Birmingham males and the Sumatra and Hercules males might clash at some time. Only time will tell.

That would be indeed quite expected. Since Avoca pride is now hanging out in Thornybush, the Giraffe pride aside of Myambula pride makes most sense as potential target for Torchwood and Birmingham males to take over in Timbavati. The Birmingham and Birmingham breakaway are the prides related to Birmingham male so it makes sense for him to push somewhere else. Monwana pride on the other hand might be to heavly protected if Xikukutsus are around to back up Mapoza male. In general with 2 coalitions pushing from outside (Mbiris and Vuelas and in future perhaps even Xikukutsus) and with 2 nomadic coalitions in the arena looking for the pride and territory to take over (Torchwood/Birmingham and Black Dams) there is definitelly not enough land and prides for everyone and no doubt in the up coming months or year we will see some scraps between male lions in the region.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-03-2021, 07:09 PM by Tr1x24 )

(11-03-2021, 06:35 PM)Potato Wrote: That would be indeed quite expected. Since Avoca pride is now hanging out in Thornybush, the Giraffe pride aside of Myambula pride makes most sense as potential target for Torchwood and Birmingham males to take over in Timbavati. The Birmingham and Birmingham breakaway are the prides related to Birmingham male so it makes sense for him to push somewhere else. Monwana pride on the other hand might be to heavly protected if Xikukutsus are around to back up Mapoza male. In general with 2 coalitions pushing from outside (Mbiris and Vuelas and in future perhaps even Xikukutsus) and with 2 nomadic coalitions in the arena looking for the pride and territory to take over (Torchwood/Birmingham and Black Dams) there is definitelly not enough land and prides for everyone and no doubt in the up coming months or year we will see some scraps between male lions in the region

Dont think that Torchwood/BYM are currently favorable against neither of Sumatra/Hercules or Skorro males, especially because BYM is not 100%. 

Xikukutsus are not that often with Monwana pride, they are further south in Thornybush, Mapoza male is pretty much alone guarding that pride.

I think Torchwood/BYM will wait a bit longer in that area, and maybe Avocas return as females get back in estrus soon, they will be in search for new males and they dont have territorial males, Sumatra/Hercules might get interested in them too.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-03-2021, 07:40 PM by Mdz123 )

(11-03-2021, 02:56 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "Introducing the Giraffe Pride cubs! They are still safely stashed away on a neighbouring property, but we are hoping to see movement in the upcoming weeks. Seems to be 2 different litters, based on the age of the cubs."

Sired by Monwanas? They look cute

Quick edit: Nevermind, I think they are Hercules&Sumatra’s children

Is the remaining Monwana male still alive?
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Dont think that Torchwood/BYM are currently favorable against neither of Sumatra/Hercules or Skorro males, especially because BYM is not 100%. 
Birmingham male has just slight limp at the moment. I do not think it will be much of a problem for his coalition in potential fight with another coalition. It is very hard to judge how strong really are Birmingham and Torchwood and even Sumatran and Hercules males. I won't very try to predict who would came on top of such confrontation. Skorros proved to be formidable force in their takeover of Nkurhu's territory, but still it is impossible to tall what Birmingham and Torchwood are capable of. Perhaps they are capable enough to take on Skorros as well.

(11-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Xikukutsus are not that often with Monwana pride, they are further south in Thornybush, Mapoza male is pretty much alone guarding that pride.
They do not need to be on spot. I would be enough if they come after hearing invading males roaring in the territory of Monwana pride. 

(11-03-2021, 07:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I think Torchwood/BYM will wait a bit longer in that area, and maybe Avocas return as females get back in estrus soon,
They obviously won't be aware that some females might come to Shindzela later on. For now in Torchwood/Birmingham spot there are no females and so the males can start moving more around in search of females and the Giraffe pride is not far from them (the other mentioned by my prides are not far either). If Birmingham/Torchwood will came across Giraffe pride and get intrested in them and they will feel that they are strong enough to challenge Sumatra/Hercules they will challenge them.
2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-03-2021, 07:38 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Sired by Monwanas? They look cute
In recent months remaining Monwana male as well as Sumatra and Hercules males were seen to company Giraffe pride.

(11-03-2021, 07:38 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Is the remaining Monwana male still alive?
No updates on him since quite some time so probably either he is dead or he abandoned the arena, moved somewhere else.
3 users Like Potato's post