There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-08-2021, 10:29 PM)Potato Wrote: Hopefully it will turn out to be false. Monwana boys are just on the very beggining on their prime, whole life should be ahead of them. There are probably also cubs on the way in Giraffe pride and the ramaining Monwana male would have hard time in trying to stick into his dominant position on his own. Where the body has been found?

Yeah shame, but 1 Monwana male was not looking good in past months, limping and looking skinny, prob some disease, maybe TB..

Also Hercules and Sumatra are also in the area, maybe they have been involved? We need to wait for more info..

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-08-2021, 10:29 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 10:03 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Timbavati update - Yesterday in the afternoon we received information from the Greater Kruger National Park  (Timbavati Game Reserve) about a dead male lion. The ID of the dead male remains unknown at the moment, but rangers suspect that is the injured Monwana male. (We still are waiting for more information)
Timbavati FB PAGE

Hopefully it will turn out to be false. Monwana boys are just on the very beggining on their prime, whole life should be ahead of them. There are probably also cubs on the way in Giraffe pride and the ramaining Monwana male would have hard time in trying to stick into his dominant position on his own. Where the body has been found?

They didn't mentioned the area, but was found where James works

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-09-2021, 12:51 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yeah shame, but 1 Monwana male was not looking good in past months, limping and looking skinny, prob some disease, maybe TB.
I do not think so actually. You are I believe referring to this video:

but notice that his brother doesn't look there particularly fat either so I presume they just did not have anythink to eat for some time. In this sighting from around same time:

Monwanas were said to be in excellent condition. Moreover when they were recently seen in Shindzela, then guide said Monwana male looks fine and is not injured but sick.  He is young and being a pride male he has a lot of food to go around so perfect environment for recovery. In general he was not a male I would consider to be at death's door despite his problem with a leg. Also I have seen so much rumors of some lions presumed to be death which in the end turned out to be false that I am not going to believe it until official confirmation.
3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-09-2021, 03:25 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(04-08-2021, 10:03 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Timbavati update - Yesterday in the afternoon we received information from the Greater Kruger National Park  (Timbavati Game Reserve) about a dead male lion. The ID of the dead male remains unknown at the moment, but rangers suspect that is the injured Monwana male. (We still are waiting for more information)
Timbavati FB PAGE

Hopefully it will turn out to be false. Monwana boys are just on the very beggining on their prime, whole life should be ahead of them. There are probably also cubs on the way in Giraffe pride and the ramaining Monwana male would have hard time in trying to stick into his dominant position on his own. Where the body has been found?

Which James, from which Lodge?

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-09-2021, 05:51 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 03:25 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
Timbavati FB PAGE

Which James, from which Lodge?

James Walkers from Walkers River Camp
I talk with Rudi, He saw the Monwana males the tuesday but he leave the area so he don't know what happened on the three next days. Chad Cocking also heared that one of the Monwana has passed away.
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-09-2021, 05:48 PM)Potato Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 12:51 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yeah shame, but 1 Monwana male was not looking good in past months, limping and looking skinny, prob some disease, maybe TB.
I do not think so actually. You are I believe referring to this video:

but notice that his brother doesn't look there particularly fat either so I presume they just did not have anythink to eat for some time. In this sighting from around same time:

Monwanas were said to be in excellent condition. Moreover when they were recently seen in Shindzela, then guide said Monwana male looks fine and is not injured but sick.  He is young and being a pride male he has a lot of food to go around so perfect environment for recovery. In general he was not a male I would consider to be at death's door despite his problem with a leg. Also I have seen so much rumors of some lions presumed to be death which in the end turned out to be false that I am not going to believe it until official confirmation.

February 12, 2021
One of the Monwana males. photo sent by my friend Andi
Information provide by him: his left rear leg is not lekker

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 06:28 PM by T I N O )

I had a long talk with mr Chad Cocking yesterday. 
Here about the Monwana male: Hi tino. I haven’t seen them for ages, but did also hear they found a dead male lion and suspect it was the one with the injured leg...I hadn’t been to see them since maybe October or November last year.
6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

December 2020. Information provide by Megson: 
They were at walkers a few days ago. Looking good apart from a injury to one of the boy's back legs. looks to be struggling quite alot. Losing weight quickly too
5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 06:41 PM by T I N O )

Recent information by Megson: Hi Tino. There was not much left as hyenas got to him before I arrived. As im not permanently on site I didn't get to see the carcass before it was eaten. I do believe it was him though. I found tracks this morning of one male on giraffe/walker cutline which i think was the other monwana, and 4 lionesses and the younger male on kambaku this morn. I'm here till Tuesday morn so will absolutely keep you in the loop of who I've been seeing.
6 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-09-2021, 05:48 PM)Potato Wrote: Monwanas were said to be in excellent condition. Moreover when they were recently seen in Shindzela, then guide said Monwana male looks fine and is not injured but sick. 

1 of Monwanas was definitely looking sick in recent months, as @TinoArmando said..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The best Easter treat was our first proper view of the River Pride cubs!  After last week’s zebra kill, Glen and I checked to see if we could find the pride, but with no tracks emerging from the block, we knew that they had spent the day sleeping off their fat bellies. The next morning, with the help of Scotch and Jack, we headed to the area again, and this time the pride had emerged from their slumber and Scotch radioed to tell me that they had found the whole pride out in the open. We joined a little while later to the joyous sight of the three new cubs looking much more confident than a couple of days ago, and the slightly older cub having a blast now that she had three new play mates with as much energy as her!  The cubs look to be around 7-8 weeks old, and while we didn’t get to sex them, there do appear to be at least a couple of females.  The only pride member that wasn’t present was the sickly Nharhu male.  The evening before, Glen had tracked a male lion down near Tortillis Plains, and it was this very male – even though we couldn’t see him properly, we could see he was in a bad way, with ribs, vertebral processes and hip bones sticking out.  It was a sad sight to see, and his struggle was brought home later in the week when we found him resting at a pan in the east with porcupine quills in his face.  He is in a very bad way, and I think we have to face the realisation that he is unlikely to overcome this ailment.  The fact that the coalition is weakened may already be showing in how far west the Sark pride have started pushing.  The weekend started with the Balule females occupying the central areas around Safari Camp, but as the days pushed on, the Sark pride (now with a third female having joined them) started pushing deeper into the Timbavati, and they were found every day this week in our central regions.  A third pride of unknown lionesses (also numbering three) were reported close to our Field Camp, but I sadly didn’t get down to see them, and try and identify which lions they might be.  Regardless, with the Nharhu males having moved east, we now have three new prides moving in to fill the void, and this will no doubt make for some interesting lion dynamics over the coming months.

7 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Limping Nharhu male not looking good..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-09-2021, 10:55 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Limping Nharhu male not looking good..

It is not the limping one.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 11:32 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-09-2021, 11:28 PM)Potato Wrote: It is not the limping one.

What? Thats even worse news..

A lot of young lions with health problems around..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-09-2021, 11:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 11:28 PM)Potato Wrote: It is not the limping one.

What? Thats even worse news..

A lot of young lions with health problems around..

That's Mpohlo the oldest member
5 users Like T I N O's post