There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-18-2021, 04:06 PM)Potato Wrote: Some lion action and some possible changes in the near future. The young Giraffe male was chased of by the Hercules Male and he settled with some of the Giraffe pride lionesses. Also saw the Avova pride. Looked like the lion prides walked into each other during the night and Avoca pride put some distance between them and the males.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Actually, the Sumatra male chased off the Giraffe young male.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-18-2021, 05:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-18-2021, 04:06 PM)Potato Wrote: Some lion action and some possible changes in the near future. The young Giraffe male was chased of by the Hercules Male and he settled with some of the Giraffe pride lionesses. Also saw the Avova pride. Looked like the lion prides walked into each other during the night and Avoca pride put some distance between them and the males.

Dont understand..

Hercules and Sumatra with Giraffe pride? Where are Monwanas? Or is his Giraffe (subadults) breakeaway gruop which is not with Monwanas?

I am not sure, but I do not think there are two groups of Giraffe pride. There was a split when the Monwanas were takingover, I do not think they remained split tho. It seems Monwanas are minding their own bussines further north for now and the Giraffe pride probably will return north as well duo to Sumatra/Hercules males presence at Shindzela.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-18-2021, 06:44 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-18-2021, 06:01 PM)Potato Wrote: I am not sure, but I do not think there are two groups of Giraffe pride. There was a split when the Monwanas were takingover, I do not think they remained split tho. It seems Monwanas are minding their own bussines further north for now and the Giraffe pride probably will return north as well duo to Sumatra/Hercules males presence at Shindzela.

You sure theres not 2 Giraffe gruops? Because i never seen pictures of Monwanas with these subadults, only with few older females and further north.. 

From his description it looks like Sumatra and Hercules hang out with Giraffe pride as they where lying with them and encounter Avoca pride together..

There where 4 Giraffe lionesses and young male.. Does anyone know how many Giraffe pride has members in total?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-18-2021, 06:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-18-2021, 06:01 PM)Potato Wrote: I am not sure, but I do not think there are two groups of Giraffe pride. There was a split when the Monwanas were takingover, I do not think they remained split tho. It seems Monwanas are minding their own bussines further north for now and the Giraffe pride probably will return north as well duo to Sumatra/Hercules males presence at Shindzela.

You sure theres not 2 Giraffe gruops? Because i never seen pictures of Monwanas with these subadults, only with few older females and further north.. 

From his description it looks like Sumatra and Hercules hang out with Giraffe pride as they where lying with them and encounter Avoca pride together..

There where 4 Giraffe lionesses and young male.. Does anyone know how many Giraffe pride has members in total?

Within the group that the Sumatra male was seen is missing one female. So, If we count the missing lioness,then there are 5 lionesses and 1 young male. 
The Monwana males and Giraffe pride were eight members in total, Perhaps, the Sumatra male is with the same group that the Monwana males once move. I'll ask for that anyways

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-18-2021, 06:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: You sure theres not 2 Giraffe gruops? Because i never seen pictures of Monwanas with these subadults, only with few older females and further north.. 
I am not 100% sure. It is fully ussual for the Giraffe pride tho to move around Kambaku Lodge, at times showing themself at Shindzela and other surrounding arenas. Recently one of the Monwana males was seen beating up young Giraffe male further north in Klaserie.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-18-2021, 07:11 PM)Potato Wrote: I am not 100% sure. It is fully ussual for the Giraffe pride tho to move around Kambaku Lodge, at times showing themself at Shindzela and other surrounding arenas. Recently one of the Monwana males was seen beating up young Giraffe male further north in Klaserie

Dont know, but very strange that they would hang with Sumatra/Hercules while being under Monwanas..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-18-2021, 07:14 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-18-2021, 07:11 PM)Potato Wrote: I am not 100% sure. It is fully ussual for the Giraffe pride tho to move around Kambaku Lodge, at times showing themself at Shindzela and other surrounding arenas. Recently one of the Monwana males was seen beating up young Giraffe male further north in Klaserie

Dont know, but very strange that they would hang with Sumatra/Hercules while being under Monwanas..

The prides does not have any loyalty towards thei domiant males. Up untill cubs are not born, pride females are free to hang on and mate with any males around. 
5 users Like Potato's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

did any body find out which lion died

Venezuela titose Offline

The Sohobele Male Coalition!
The two huge Sohobele males known as "Dribbler" and "Pretty Boy" in the Timbavati Game Reserve, legendary lions!
Photos taken between 2006 
By paul davey

"Pretty boy"

"Dribbler" 

A picture of the Sohobele males together patrolling their territory!

By: paul davey

7 users Like titose's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Sohobele males were stunning males, they came as a coalition of four/five males back in the 1997's
5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

After some speculation about the Hercules and Sumatra males, it looks like they are with some of the Giraffe pride lionesses. The Hercules male is definitely more dominant of the 2 as he kept the older male away from 1 lionesses. The Sumatra walked after the remaining 2 lionesses that was visible to me.
credit: Ziggi Hugo
7 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-22-2021, 08:00 AM)Timbavati Wrote:

After some speculation about the Hercules and Sumatra males, it looks like they are with some of the Giraffe pride lionesses. The Hercules male is definitely more dominant of the 2 as he kept the older male away from 1 lionesses. The Sumatra walked after the remaining 2 lionesses that was visible to me.
credit: Ziggi Hugo
It will be very intresting to see their competition with the two Monwana males. My bet would be on Monwanas despite one of them being injured. Monwanas so far were proving to be strong and bold duo. They stand up to fight Xikukutsus with Mapoza even through they were outnumbered and right away after starting their nomadic life challanged and ousted Black Dam male (compare it for example with how much time Tumbelas needed to oust very old HB). Chassing out Sumatra/Hercules duo will be of course much bigger challange than ousting lone Black Dam male, but still I bet Monwanas will handle this competition as well.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-22-2021, 06:35 PM)Potato Wrote: It will be very intresting to see their competition with the two Monwana males. My bet would be on Monwanas despite one of them being injured. Monwanas so far were proving to be strong and bold duo. They stand up to fight Xikukutsus with Mapoza even through they were outnumbered and right away after starting their nomadic life challanged and ousted Black Dam male (compare it for example with how much time Tumbelas needed to oust very old HB). Chassing out Sumatra/Hercules duo will be of course much bigger challange than ousting lone Black Dam male, but still I bet Monwanas will handle this competition as well.

Whole that situation is unclear with too little information to judge..

It looks like those lionesses who hang with Hercules/Sumatra are indeed some sort of breakaway (3/4 females and young male)..Giraffe pride are spliting a lot since BDM died and Monwanas tookover.. 

Rest of Giraffes are prob further north around Kambaku and near Monwanas so clash might not even happen between the 2 coalitions, as Hercules/Sumatra might settle there as Mapoza and Xikukutsus moved further south.. 

Did healthy Monwana was seen? 

Also, does anybody know numbers of pride members of Giraffe, Avoca and Monwana prides?? 
Giraffe pride must have around 10 females, including younger females..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-22-2021, 07:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Rest of Giraffes are prob further north around Kambaku and near Monwanas so clash might not even happen between the 2 coalitions, as Hercules/Sumatra might settle there as Mapoza and Xikukutsus moved further south.. 
If they are with Giraffe famales then they are probably at northern parts of Shindzela  which is and always was part of the Giraffe pride territory. They are probably on Monwana males territory .

(04-22-2021, 07:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Also, does anybody know numbers of pride members of Giraffe, Avoca and Monwana prides?? 
As far as I remember Monwana is 5 adult females with 9 cubs and Avoca is 5 adult females, 5 sub adult females and 1 subadult male. Idk about numbers of the Giraffe pride.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-22-2021, 07:54 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-22-2021, 07:35 PM)Potato Wrote: If they are with Giraffe famales then they are probably at northern parts of Shindzela  which is and always was part of the Giraffe pride territory. They are probably on Monwana males territory .

Then idk how you favoring Monwanas, because Hercules/Sumatra are there for what, around 2 weeks without respond of Monwanas.. 

With injured leg of that Monwana they are much weaker now as injured male will prob avoid any clashes in that state (facing open chase back and forth with leg injury might be fatal for him, as he would be sitting duck for 2 males), only if they can intimidated Hercules/Sumatra with roars, but it doesnt look succesfull so far.

But as i said, theres no info if those 2 coalitions are even clashing so far. 

And theres still no info about healthy Monwana male..