There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-21-2020, 09:27 PM)Potato Wrote: They look great indeed. Sighting was at Baobab Ridge Game Lodge.

So they are still close to Monwana males. 

Wonder which pride was that, part of Giraffe pride?

T I N O Online
Moderators

(07-21-2020, 09:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 09:27 PM)Potato Wrote: They look great indeed. Sighting was at Baobab Ridge Game Lodge.

So they are still close to Monwana males. 

Wonder which pride was that, part of Giraffe pride?

Maybe Mayambula?
The Vuyela are beast, I hope they can establish in the Klaserie

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-21-2020, 10:15 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Maybe Mayambula?

No, Mayambula pride is not close to that area, Giraffe pride is close there from Timbavati side, but might be some pride from Klaserie.

T I N O Online
Moderators

(07-21-2020, 10:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 10:15 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Maybe Mayambula?

No, Mayambula pride is not close to that area, Giraffe pride is close there from Timbavati side, but might be some pride from Klaserie.

Interesting.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

No idea what pride that was. I don't think Giraffe pride would be described by that lodge as unknown pride.
1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(07-21-2020, 10:28 PM)Potato Wrote: No idea what pride that was. I don't think Giraffe pride would be described by that lodge as unknown pride.

Plus, I think are only 6 adult females and 1 sub-adult male according James W.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Spain Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Michael Laubscher: " His nights mission will usually be determined by the scent of the nights air.

More so than often, the lion can usually smell it’s next victim before they even see it.
Scary thought... "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2020, 03:00 PM by Potato )

Throwback: Brutus Avoca/Giraffe with one of the Giraffe males, I think the youngest one, mid 2016

*This image is copyright of its original author

3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula

The only thing I really struggled to capture this week were lions, but that doesn’t mean everything else was hiding away. Sadly though, it does seem that our resident River Pride have gone through a bit of turmoil, as we can only find tracks for one of the six cubs at the moment. It has happened in the past that the females leave 2 or 3 cubs here and there while keeping the others with them, but this time it feels different. Only time will tell if all the cubs are in fact alive and well. We will be sure to keep you all updated!
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Black Dam Male at Orpen Gate!!

BDM was seen on SANParks Cam on Orpen Waterhole:

He is now on a territory of Ross and Hercules/Sumatra males, so he needs to be carefull, hope the best for him and to find a partner or a pride, he still has couple of yrs in him..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-25-2020, 01:19 AM by Matimbalani )

(07-24-2020, 11:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Black Dam Male at Orpen Gate!!

He is now on a territory of Ross and Hercules/Sumatra males, so he needs to be carefull, hope the best for him and to find a partner or a pride, he still has couple of yrs in him..

I don't think he will be caught in a trap that easily and will probably be a nightmare for any single male that he might run into.

This guy is in a league of his own when it comes to size. Imagine what the Monwana's would look like in a year or two!
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

When Sumatra male was last seen he wasn't looking great. It might by that Skorro pride is by now defended only by Hercules male.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-25-2020, 01:41 AM)Potato Wrote: When Sumatra male was last seen he wasn't looking great. It might by that Skorro pride is by now defended only by Hercules male.

Well, we dont know for sure, Sumatra male is much older than Hercules, he is 9,10 yrs old i think.

Those 2 where in a coalition longer then i've taught, photo of those 2 almost 2 yrs ago, in Klaserie:

By Byron Gobler

Sumatra in a way raised young Hercules male.

Sumatra male with Ross breakeaway females at Kambaku Lodges in early 2017, what a magnificent and big this male is:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-25-2020, 02:35 AM by Potato )

"Well, we dont know for sure, Sumatra male is much older than Hercules, he is 9,10 yrs old i think."

I think rather 8,9 ,but it rather does not matter. His problem was leg injury, not old age.

"Those 2 where in a coalition longer then i've taught, photo of those 2 almost 2 yrs ago, in Klaserie:"
"Sumatra in a way raised young Hercules male."

Around mid - late 2017 Sumatra male became dominant male of Hercules pride, so they are together even longer than you think I presume. I am not sure tho from when we can think of them as a coalition. Hercules male was raised by his pride all the way to adulthood. Sumatra male rather did not much in raising Hercules male if anything at all.

T I N O Online
Moderators

(07-24-2020, 11:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Black Dam Male at Orpen Gate!!

Top shape!
What a incredible lion
1 user Likes T I N O's post