There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Spain Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Michael Laubscher: " And into to the sunset he goes...

What a spectacular afternoon this was.
It started off by tracking a leopardess for quite some time but her tracks lead me straight into a growl from this lion and his brother about forty meters ahead of me.
When your head is down tracking, you seem to lose track of reality.
A few days before this, we were tracking lion and these two males waited until we were a mere six meters away from them before they let us know they were there.
A instant adrenaline fix that’s for sure!
My life have been blessed beyond words and I am truly thankful for the opportunities that have been and that are still to come ??? "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

White young lioness from Birmingham pride is missing..

Birmingham pride (without Ross males) few days ago ventured further west out of Ngala and in the area where Avoca pride is mostly residents, they've returned 3 days ago and reunited with Ross males, but not all of them returned, white female and injured Birmingham male and possibly 1 more member?? Didnt seen with the pride since..

Also white male has some bite marks on his back legs, so rangers suspect they had an conflict with other pride :

*This image is copyright of its original author

If the young lioness is with injured male, she has a good chances to return, but if she is alone, chances that she will return are getting lower each day..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Monwana males at Baobab Ridge Game Lodge - Greater Kruger. Are they looking for a scrap with Vuyela males?

As promised, here the pictures of the lion sighting yesterday. The neighboring guides aren’t sure who they are, one of the two males has a limp. They were seen yesterday morning and then again in front of our pool area last night 

Photography and video by Brandon Gouveris

1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A stare I will never forget. 
After being chased off their territory for 7 kilometers by the three Nharu males last month, the two Mbiri males were seen not so far from Simbavati recently, here in the northern part of the Timbavati. 
This is the younger brother of two, born in 2013. 
Interesting how the dynamics of lions can change at any time. Now, it’s about survival, as they move through unwanted areas and territories, also remembering that the Skorro males, as well as the old River Pride males Hondo and Xantshema are up in the northern parts of where they were found. 
Credit is due!
Thanks @lionsoftimbavati_ for always giving the most accurate information and helping tremendously with the unraveling of lion dynamics. 
————

Written and credit: Shanré Scheepers 

7 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The Monwana Males 

This past week the lions have been centre stage in terms of sightings in the South, from an unknown pride of 8, the Vuyela’s, to now these Monwana males!
Originating from Thornybush, descending from the Monwana Pride, they were fathered by the notorious Black Dam Male.
Born back in March 2016, these males are young to have such dark manes, though it’s not surprising given their bloodline.  
Earlier this year, whilst on a game drive at the Walkers BUSH VILLA videographer @roganroams caught on camera the moment they had an altercation with their father. Since then, the most recent sighting of him was a few days back close to Orpen in the KNP.

1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-26-2020, 02:46 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: A stare I will never forget. 
After being chased off their territory for 7 kilometers by the three Nharu males last month, the two Mbiri males were seen not so far from Simbavati recently, here in the northern part of the Timbavati. 
Interesting how the dynamics of lions can change at any time. Now, it’s about survival, as they move through unwanted areas and territories, also remembering that the Skorro males, as well as the old River Pride males Hondo and Xantshema are up in the northern parts of where they were found. 
Credit is due!

Are they nomadic now?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Update on young white lioness from Birmingham pride:

She was supposedly spotted west of Ngala in Avoca pride area, where Birmingham pride was been few days ago, pride returned to Ngala but she stayed behind somehow, hope she can find pride soon, idk if young male is with her or not, if he isnt, she wont survive much longer on her own..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-26-2020, 03:47 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 02:46 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: A stare I will never forget. 
Credit is due!

Are they nomadic now?

Yeah they are nomadic now.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

There is literally nothink which could indicate they lost controll over their lands and Myambula pride. Most likely their ventures around are for expanding their territorrry. 

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2020, 10:15 PM by T I N O )

Very great news.
The White female was spotted this morning at Makanyi which is part of Avoca property, she was heading back to Ngala!
3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-26-2020, 09:27 PM)Potato Wrote: There is literally nothink which could indicate they lost controll over their lands and Myambula pride. Most likely their ventures around are for expanding their territorrry. 

They not seems to be expanding their territories they have went into KNP again.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-26-2020, 09:52 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 09:27 PM)Potato Wrote: There is literally nothink which could indicate they lost controll over their lands and Myambula pride. Most likely their ventures around are for expanding their territorrry. 

Their main territorry with Myambula pride is in KNP so it is no suprise that they show themselfs there. That they are moving out of there showing willing of expanding.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-26-2020, 10:12 PM)Potato Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 09:52 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Their main territorry with Myambula pride is in KNP so it is no suprise that they show themselfs there. That they are moving out of there showing willing of expanding.

But knows.

only time will tell, for the moment they aren't dominant in the Timbavati and on KNP no are much info to confirm it.
Both Mbiri are on their prime and are big males so not surprise me that they are dominant in somewhere

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

"A updated of the Black dam pride and the Giraffe male and the Xikukutsu and the Mapoza.

(Unfortunately the majority of the pride have moved off into private land about 3 or four months ago. So no sightings of him for a while now.

The reason for moving isn’t clear yet. We thinking maybe to have cubs. There isn’t pressure from another pride so not forced to move.)

A very interesting information about the Xikukutsu and the Mapoza male: The two Xikukutsu’s are now pushing into the south of Thornybush. The Maphoza male joins them now and again. There is still the one lioness with her two daughters and 6 of the young males hanging out down south. They have had a run in with the two Xikukutsu's already. But seem to be holding their own down south still.

Special Thanks to Darrel Camden-Smith for all the information and the effort that is doing everyday in Thornybush!

Image credits to: Darrel Camden-Smith 
Thonybush"

From Lions of Timbavati Facebook page.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"There isn’t pressure from another pride so not forced to move."
"The two Xikukutsu’s are now pushing into the south of Thornybush"

???