There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Mwk85 Offline

(08-13-2024, 08:58 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: So Avoca no longer with sbdm??

They're still together 

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Mwk85's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-15-2024, 01:33 AM by Mapokser )

One of them ( I think BDM due to the bigger mane ) was marking the territory which is interesting.

Unfortunately for them, even if they form a coalition it is hard to see them being successful. Unless they have a ton of luck to get an easy territory with no coalition to challenge them, their chances as slim.

BDM already failed with his blood brother in an area where 3 other duos easily dealt with the lions that ousted them countless times.

Avoca young male was doing well with Guernsey and they could have very well taken over from the Ross ( or maybe even Mbiris who were very weakened at the time ), but now for him to build a new strong bond with a lion not known for being particularly strong, and be successful with him, will be a huge challenge.

I just hope they don't go bother the Giraffe male and his small family.

Anyway if anything I'm interested to see how they look next to each other while standing, it's not always you get the chance to see lions that were in such distant areas from each other side by side.

Avoca was taller than Guernsey but I don't think Guernsey was big, he was dwarfed in every way by his previous younger partner ( the one killed by N.BDM ), and the BDM had the male lion mass but wasn't any bigger than the bigger Ntsevu female in terms of dimensions, his weakened brother was dwarfed by Kambulas so I'd expect Avoca to be more impressive, though not sure by how much as I don't think Avoca is big either ( probably around average I'd guess ).
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Hosi and Socha, holy these guys are massive:

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The white male (Xakubasa) and his brother seen at Umbabat recently

10 users Like T I N O's post

United States Mohawk Offline

(08-17-2021, 06:09 PM)T I N O Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 03:54 AM)Mohawk Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 11:44 PM)Timbavati Wrote: As far I know, all of the Matimba's were still together in almost late 2013. In fact, the Nsemani/Mbiri male resemblances quite to Ginger too. Which lead myself to think that he also could have mated with the Mbiri females at that time. Btw, great words @Mohawk it's great read different kind of opinions. Thank you for your contribution.

I appreciate your contributions as well, my friend.

Do you know what happened to the Skybed Pride?  Where was there original home range?

The Skybed pride has a territory which stretches from south of the H7 Orpen - Satara road, northwards along the Timbavati River. The current Skybed sons that were seen in Orpen Camp in the first week of August, they were with the Skybed pride in 2018.

Who's controlling that area now?  Tintswalos?  Mayambulas?
1 user Likes Mohawk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Remaining 2 Hoedispruit/Kapama males:

Such dark manes.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-18-2024, 03:14 PM)Mohawk Wrote: Who's controlling that area now?  Tintswalos?  Mayambulas?

Mongawanes and Tintswalos are seen around this area.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

And very little info about these coalitions to boot!  It's a shame that we don't have some sort of podcast each week updating us on the lions of the KNP and the private reserves.  That would be great!  I'd love a weekly (or even monthly) podcast on these lions of about 30 min---1 hour long, depending on what's been going on.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-19-2024, 11:33 AM by Duco Ndona )

I dont think there is enough reliable content for a weekly show. But there are some shows on youtube that do monthly updates on Sabi Sands.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The Vuyela males began the week without much activity, and only one male briefly spent time with the River Pride.  Tracks indicated that they were moving into Mayambula territory more and more, and a couple of males spent three days mating with a lioness from the Klaserie’s so-called River Pride.  This is the third time we have seen this particular female mating with the Vuyela males, but it doesn’t appear as though the males have done anything more to take control of this pride.  As a pride known for killing elephants, I am putting my money on the fact that they may have been the lions that attacked and severely injured a rhino cow during the previous week.  Despite the vets best efforts, the poor rhino succumbed to the wounds, and this happened to be no more than 500m from where the males where on honeymoon.  After the lioness moved off, four males spent three days finishing off the rhino carcass before leaving the scraps to the vultures.

The Sark Breakaway Pride sadly seem to have lost another cub, and they only have four of their newest litter remaining.  The pride showed up a couple of times around Nkhari, and we spent an afternoon watching them on the prowl; one lioness then got up and ran across a clearing and we followed trying to determine what had caught her attention.

5 users Like Potato's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(08-19-2024, 08:16 PM)Potato Wrote: Tanda Tula update

The Vuyela males began the week without much activity, and only one male briefly spent time with the River Pride.  Tracks indicated that they were moving into Mayambula territory more and more, and a couple of males spent three days mating with a lioness from the Klaserie’s so-called River Pride.  This is the third time we have seen this particular female mating with the Vuyela males, but it doesn’t appear as though the males have done anything more to take control of this pride.  As a pride known for killing elephants, I am putting my money on the fact that they may have been the lions that attacked and severely injured a rhino cow during the previous week.  Despite the vets best efforts, the poor rhino succumbed to the wounds, and this happened to be no more than 500m from where the males where on honeymoon.  After the lioness moved off, four males spent three days finishing off the rhino carcass before leaving the scraps to the vultures.

The Sark Breakaway Pride sadly seem to have lost another cub, and they only have four of their newest litter remaining.  The pride showed up a couple of times around Nkhari, and we spent an afternoon watching them on the prowl; one lioness then got up and ran across a clearing and we followed trying to determine what had caught her attention.

Is the Klaserie River pride mentioned here the same pride with Hosi and Socha? Or is that another River pride?
2 users Like Rabubi's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-19-2024, 09:05 PM)Rabubi Wrote:

Is the Klaserie River pride mentioned here the same pride with Hosi and Socha? Or is that another River pride?

Yes, that is the pride which was dominated by Hosi and Socha in the past, through while ago Hosi and Socha abandoned this pride and moved further north and took over another pride.
4 users Like Potato's post

adamstocks16 Offline

How old are Hosi & Socha now?
1 user Likes adamstocks16's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-19-2024, 11:32 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-19-2024, 10:18 PM)adamstocks16 Wrote: How old are Hosi & Socha now?

They are unrelated males,

Hosi is unknown male, prob came from Kruger.

Socha is from Balule (Impalabos pride).

They become territorial in Klaserie in early 2019, taking over Klaserie River Pride and ousting young Nharhu males from their natal pride.

So they are definetly older then Nharhus, who are born in (late?) 2014.

This is them in late 2019:

Hosi 

Socha

They are prob around 11 now (my guess).

These guys are legends, i am suprised how we didnt really talked about them more as one of strongest and most impressive duos in recent years.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(08-19-2024, 09:54 PM)Potato Wrote:
(08-19-2024, 09:05 PM)Rabubi Wrote:

Yes, that is the pride which was dominated by Hosi and Socha in the past, through while ago Hosi and Socha abandoned this pride and moved further north and took over another pride.
Thanks mate. I had no idea that they took over another pride, I thought they were still with the River Pride all this time lol.
2 users Like Rabubi's post