There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Psyckoo Offline

Did we have more informations about old Ross males and Avoca pride ?
1 user Likes Psyckoo's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-24-2021, 07:34 PM)Psyckoo Wrote: Did we have more informations about old Ross males and Avoca pride ?

Which kind of information do you want? Perhaps, We can help
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Psyckoo Offline

(04-24-2021, 08:06 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 07:34 PM)Psyckoo Wrote: Did we have more informations about old Ross males and Avoca pride ?

The great moments for example for the Old Ross male i just heard that they sired Old Avoca males but nothing else, how many they were, which coalition they fight, from where they come, who they fall... a little biography but after i thinks that not as easy that modern coalition...
1 user Likes Psyckoo's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-24-2021, 06:50 PM)Potato Wrote: Actually it is common for male lion coalitions to challange for territory at the age of around 4 if they have numerical advantage of 2:1 or more. Beside Monwanas you could look at S Avocas chassiing Matshapiri or Ross  facing Giraffe male and Mabande male. Birminghams were around 4 beside Nsuku when they challanged Matimbas. Majingilanes still had Mohawks manes around 1 year after takeover from Mlovathis so they also could be well before 4 years of age at takeovertime. Mbiris were just over 3 when they chassed Mapoza male through Kings Camp and so on...

Not that common, most lions become dominant at 5 or close to 5, then just at 4..

Monwanas just had 4 yrs birthday when they challenged BDM.

Bboys where well over 4 when challenged Matimbas, and become dominant almost at 5 and some over 5.

We dont know exactly birth dates of Majingilanes and Matimbas so that more of speculatio, but they had much superior numbers.. Selatis where also around 5 when they beat Mapogos.. 

Those few examples of Avocas, Ross and Mbiris clashed vs dominant males in early days are also very rare and not that common, those are only few examples.. 

Most lions run from dominant males at age 4 and then after 4.5-5 gain more confidence..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-24-2021, 08:19 PM)Psyckoo Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 08:06 PM)Timbavati Wrote:

The great moments for example for the Old Ross male i just heard that they sired Old Avoca males but nothing else, how many they were, which coalition they fight, from where they come, who they fall... a little biography but after i thinks that not as easy that modern coalition...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1116688471871797&id=100005919649247
2 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 12:11 AM by Timbavati )

The Sumatra male was seen on Rockfig Safari Lodge with some of the Giraffe pride females. The other Monwana male wasn't seen yet

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 12:11 AM by Timbavati )

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

We saw the Sumatra male together with a few females in the Western sector of our traverse.

Captured by Field Guide @almero.klingenberg
6 users Like Timbavati's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Would be amazing if this remaining male can keep BDM's legacy going as a lone male, with the same territory and pride as well.
4 users Like sik94's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-25-2021, 11:25 PM)sik94 Wrote: Would be amazing if this remaining male can keep BDM's legacy going as a lone male, with the same territory and pride as well.

Only time will tell. Almero told me that his leg wasn't looking good.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 12:00 AM by Tr1x24 )

Thats Sumatra male, not limping Monwana male.. Limping Monwana doesnt have patch on his back leg, while Sumatra has (check pictures of both for few days ago).

On limping Monwana, he prob has health issues, prob TB, and not just injured leg.. So his survival will be really tough without his brother.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-25-2021, 11:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Thats Sumatra male, not limping Monwana male.. Limping Monwana doesnt have patch on his back leg, while Sumatra has (check pictures of both for few days ago).

On limping Monwana, he prob has health issues, prob TB, and not just injured leg.. So his survival will be really tough without his brother.

That's true, my bad

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2021, 12:09 AM)Timbavati Wrote: That's true, my bad

Any info of the current state of Sumatra and his leg? That patch doesnt look good as it looks like its starting to open.. Its very likely TB, similar situation like with Sizanani, Nsuku, HS, Talamati etc.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 12:46 AM by Timbavati )

(04-26-2021, 12:41 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 12:09 AM)Timbavati Wrote: That's true, my bad

Any info of the current state of Sumatra and his leg? That patch doesnt look good as it looks like its starting to open.. Its very likely TB, similar situation like with Sizanani, Nsuku, HS, Talamati etc.

Almero saw them last on Thursday afternoon and his leg wasn't looking good. I think is getting worse as last year.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-26-2021, 12:43 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Almeo saw them last on Thursday afternoon and his leg wasn't looking good. I think is getting worse as last year.

Yeah as i tought, he is dragging that for some time now.. And as he is around or close to 10 yrs old it prob wont get better..

As im sad for Monwana males, im glad for Sumatra/Hercules, Sumatra prob doesnt have much left, so to gain territory and sire some cubs immidiately is crucial.. As they didnt succeed in Skorro pride.. It would be shame we dont have some legacy of those fine specimens like Sumatra and Hercules.. Sumatra is one of the most beautiful males i've seen in his younger days.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-26-2021, 12:54 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 12:43 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Almeo saw them last on Thursday afternoon and his leg wasn't looking good. I think is getting worse as last year.

Yeah as i tought, he is dragging that for some time now.. And as he is around or close to 10 yrs old it prob wont get better..

As im sad for Monwana males, im glad for Sumatra/Hercules, Sumatra prob doesnt have much left, so to gain territory and sire some cubs immidiately is crucial.. As they didnt succeed in Skorro pride.. It would be shame we dont have some legacy of those fine specimens like Sumatra and Hercules.. Sumatra is one of the most beautiful males i've seen in his younger days.

Isn't Sumatra Hercules son? Seems Hercules is currently in better condition.

Also, were the Monwanas BDM only surviving male offspring, did he leave behind any others to carry on his legacy?