There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States jacksonsmash Offline

i hope everybody had safe and happy holidays!  as far as the map of lion territories goes i have one that i made myself and there reaaly is an incredible amount of overlap in the areas! especially in the north of sabi sands,im amazed that there isnt more conflict between the prides.   anyhow---  anyone have updates on the charleston pride in the south.  is the female still with the 3 males and what areas are they usually found?  kirkmans? lion sands?     and the southern pride   are they found in the northern part of sabi sabi  most of the time?    i thought i recently saw something about the mhangeni pride around umkumbe as well?  is that close to the southern pride area?      and i may have asked this before but the sand river pride are around kirkmans and mala mala   am i right?  please correct me if im not?               

peace and love to all
2 users Like jacksonsmash's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

The current tailless Tsalala and her tailless legendary mother BB in 2012. (Not sure who's who)
Credits: Chitwa Chitwa Private Game Lodge

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Hilda's rock male and Charleston pride at Skukuza.
Credits to Alex Ross

8 users Like Gamiz's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Ale Olivieri - Wandering Thru.

Tsalala young male.

7 users Like Tshokwane's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(01-12-2017, 06:14 AM)Majingilane Wrote: Credits to Ale Olivieri - Wandering Thru.

Tsalala young male.

These males are growing into beautiful specimens... if they three stay together.. they will have a good chance of becoming dominant males somewhere
4 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Romania Georgel Away
Banned
( This post was last modified: 01-13-2017, 12:14 AM by Georgel )

Nhlanguleni

Rob The Ranger said...(I did post a bit of info on about him when I first put up the picture):

"He came in from the east so i don't know his history before he arrived, he was seen at chitwa-chitwa before he arrived in the west but he was very agressive towards the vehicles there."

Nhlanguleni - dominant over the Ottawa and SRP from 2005 until the Mapogo took over

November 16, 2005 Leopard Hills

http://www.e-gnu.com/forum/messages/1059.html

The Ottawa pride now number: 4 adult females, 2 sub-adult males, 1 sub-adult and 6 juveniles. They are still being dominated by the Nhlanguleni Male Lion who spends his time between the Ottawa Pride and trying to take over the Sand River Pride.

January 18, 2006 Leopard Hills

http://www.e-gnu.com/forum/messages/1092.html

The Ottawa lion pride has been relatively scarce of late, but a few sighting of this pride were recorded during December. The Nhlanguleni male lion has been spending a lot of time with this pride and has thus also not been as visible as in the previous months

May 12, 2006 Leopard Hills

http://www.e-gnu.com/forum/messages/1138.html

Lions

So much is happening on the lion front. This month has served up a big bag of mixed sightings and happenings. Duncan has covered the circumstances dealing with the Sand River Pride; I won’t dwell on this topic again though and will rather concentrate on what has transpired regarding the rest of the lion population in our game reserve.

The probability of massive population shifts has now become eminent, this due to the arrival of a coalition of 6 male lions. These males have arrived from the eastern reaches of the Sabi Sands from a property and pride called the Eyerfield Pride. They pose a great threat to the many sub-adult lions we have roaming with our resident prides. It really is exciting times here, and the rangers hold their breaths waiting to see what happens; we also hope that this coalition stays in our area as it is a phenomenal sight, being able to show our guests such a large coalition of male lions. The future possibilities excite us all here greatly.

These males have already been seen interacting with the Othawa pride, chasing them around the reserve one morning. The males also had an interaction with the Nhlanguleni male, he may well have been given a real hard time before finding a gap to run away. He is seen rather infrequently and when he was seen reports suggest that he is scratched, scared and injured. If the 6 males remain, he most certainly will not. Either he will be killed, or choose to leave this territory and try establish himself elsewhere

June 09, 2006 Leopard Hills

http://www.e-gnu.com/forum/messages/1153.htm

Lions

Things on the lion front are fairly quiet at the moment. Not too much is happening in terms of changes to the populations. Sightings are still numerous but there are no deaths or new births to report. The 2 remaining Sand River Pride females still frequent the northern parts of the reserve. Mating behaviour was noted this month with some of the males from the 6 male coalition that we have named the Mapogo Males. Only time will tell whether the females have conceived or not. We will keep you updated on any changes.

The Othawa pride of 2 females and 6 sub-adults did make an appearance again this month. The adult females were also seen to be mating with the males from the Mapogo group. This all but confirms either the death or disappearance of the Nhlanguleni male lion. This male used to be the dominant territorial male in the area where both the Sand River and Othawa prides roam.

Sorry for the broken links, but it's not my fault. It seems that information has been deleted.

More details about Nhlanguleni can be found in posts #10 and #277 from the Mapogos thread. (In fact, a report written by Rob Vamplew.)
3 users Like Georgel's post

Romania Georgel Away
Banned

Othawa Pride Splits

January 2005 when the pride was split by the arrival of a new adult male lion.

Anyhow, the fracture resulted in two prides:
Othawa 1:3 Adult Females and 3 sub-adults (2 males of April 2003 litter, and the female of December 2003)
Othawa 2:2 Adult Females with 6 cubs (3male, 3 female) after the resultant mating with the new male. 7 cubs were bornin January 2005, 1 female is very recognizable with a folded floppy ear.

The arrival of the 6 Mapogo males in the NorthWestern parts of the Sabi Sands pressurized this already small pride. The Female with the folded ear was reported mating with the 6 males within the month of May on Othawa. The remaining members of the pride have not been seen since the arrival of the males and perhaps the cubs and female are dead.

08/2006 Pride breakdown and approximate date of birth:
Othawa 1
3 adult females
2 subadult males …….. April 2003
1 subadult female…..… December 2003

Othawa 2
2 adult females
5 users Like Georgel's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Tsalala lions playing round in the rain
Credits: E P Rangers

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

@Tshokwane How many lions are there in Othawa pride
I remember there used to be 3 lionesses and one of them was killed by Hyenas some time in Jan 2016.
There were 3 cubs of the deadline from Majis.. 2 male and 1 female (sub-adults now)
Of the remaining 2 adult females.. one of them has given birth to 3 cubs recently..
what about other lioness? Does she have cubs??
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(01-17-2017, 02:09 AM)vinodkumarn Wrote: There were 3 cubs of the deadline from Majis.. 2 male and 1 female (sub-adults now)

There are two of those subadults. One male and one female, the other male dissapeared, he was believed to be killed by hyenas.

About the lionesses, yes one has cubs, the other I think doesn't, some even think she may not be able to concieve.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

From Wild wing safaris
Hilda's Rock male and Charleston pride  ...recently near Skukuza

7 users Like Gamiz's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

A great photo of Junior by Jors Dannhauser in September 2015.

United States leocrest Offline

who is junior a junior of?
2 users Like leocrest's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(01-19-2017, 02:02 AM)leocrest Wrote: who is junior a junior of?

Son of Matimbas from Nkuhuma pride
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

United States leocrest Offline

Thanks for the reply. I've seen only one other successfully matimba offspring on this forum. Have the Matimbas sired a coalition of young males?
1 user Likes leocrest's post