There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Two Mangheni males with a couple of buffalo kills, on drive, now
Credits to Idube Game Reserve 

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Gamiz's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Good boys.

When they wandered off from their pride, I was afraid they weren't ready. I'm very glad they proved me wrong.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Mhangeni males
Credits to Promise Mashile

Idube Game Reserve 

From Lions of Londolozi FB

Tsalala male lion Solo and Toulon male lying just a few meters away from each other!!!!!
Credits:Melissa Bullock 
Pic Taken:July 2016

6 users Like Gamiz's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-09-2016, 12:55 AM by Pckts )

"Tsalala male lion Solo and Toulon male lying just a few meters away from each other!!!!!"

Are these two males of the same coalition or different, if different are they related somehow?
2 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-09-2016, 12:55 AM)Pckts Wrote: "Tsalala male lion Solo and Toulon male lying just a few meters away from each other!!!!!"

Are these two males of the same coalition or different, if different are they related somehow?

They are not related.

The Toulon male is the last of a coalition of three, while the Tsalala male is a lone male, who spent most of his life alone, I don't remember if he was the only male of the pride or if his brothers were killed by the Mapogos. 

The Tsalala male had formed a coalition with one of the Sparta males, called Cleo(not a son of the Majingilane, but older) and the Selati males killed this male some time ago, I think it was 2013.

So then Solo was alone again and interestingly, he ended up teaming up with a former rival, the Kruger male that was now also alone. It was something unseen, almost imposible to believe and yet it was real. The two rivals were now brothers.

So they were together until they wandered into the Charleston males territory and a fight ensued, in earlier pages you can read about this. The Kruger male died of his injuries, and Solo was alone again.

Now that the Dominant Toulon was killed some weeks ago by the Mhantinmale males, the Shy Toulon is also alone.

So what I think it has happened, or that it might happen, is that both males recognize that being older and alone is a dangerous thing, so they understand it's in their best interest to get together in a coalition.

I don't know if they will stay together or not, but it's always fascinating to see.
8 users Like Tshokwane's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-09-2016, 01:19 AM by Pckts )

The drive for lions to be together is amazing, they seek out companionship unlike any big cat I have ever seen, it's so unique.

TFS @Majingilane
Thats a nice informative post btw.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(08-09-2016, 01:18 AM)Pckts Wrote: The drive for lions to be together is amazing, they seek out companionship unlike any big cat I have ever seen, it's so unique.

TFS @Majingilane
Thats a nice informative post btw.

You're welcome.

And it paints a very different view of what we were led to believe, doesn't it? 

We were always told about the lion(in singular) and the very working pride of lionesses that hunted while all he did was sleep all day...

And the reality is so different. For them, the unity of their gang is what they desire most, even to the point of searching it among their rivals, if they don't have a choice.
4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I just think they have evolved to be extremely social animals, they seek a pride the same as a wolf seeks a pack, Its very cool.
4 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

In the past rivals, now comrades in arms, the lions have clearly a behaviour which will never stop to amaze us in wild !

And we are always learning about them while the specy is now endangered too. We have never learnt about them as much as this two or three last decades...
4 users Like Spalea's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-11-2016, 09:13 AM by Gamiz )

From Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve 

Along with the Charleston Female and her two cubs, the Hilda’s Rock young male used rocky terrain to try and get closer to a large herd of Buffalo.

4 users Like Gamiz's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Mangheni young males defending their kill from hyenas a couple of days ago. Credits to Promise Mashile.

One thing to highlight is that they had made three buffalo kills in three days straight, something that's amazing. Imagine how they will pack muscle is they keep like this.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-12-2016, 07:26 PM by Tshokwane )

Yesterday, four young male lions were found. There is speculation as to who they are and where they came from… Credits to Don Heyneke, from The Week in Pictures #244

I wonder who these boys are. Maybe the two Tsalala young males found the two Talamati males and decided to team up?, or maybe they come from somewhere else and a change is on the way?...

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-13-2016, 02:16 AM by Gamiz )

From Lion  Sands Game Reserve 

Charleston pride lioness (born in December 2004), her 2 sub adult male cubs (born on 21 March 2015) and the young Hilda's Rock Male Lion (born in January/February 2013). And by the looks of it, she/they caught either a adult male kudu or an adult male nyala in a pool of muddy water.

About #273, the new enemies of HB & Ginger?
5 users Like Gamiz's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Two young unknown males killed a big dagga boy on our eastern property a few days ago. Got some amazing photographs of them.

Image by Mark Winckler

Talamati males

4 users Like Gamiz's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Solo/Tsalala male.

Photo and informaion credits: Arno Pietersen
"Closeup of Tsalala Male Lion." 

5 users Like Ngala's post