There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2024, 03:24 AM by BA0701 )

(06-04-2024, 01:30 AM)Mapokser Wrote: No, Nhenha also mated and was in fact seen with Tsalala as a cub.

Thank you for that, my friend! I thought that might be the case. Regardless of which one is actually the father, her new cubs will carry both B-Boys' and PCM's blood, and as long as they make it to adulthood, that is sure to be an amazing, and lethal, combination.

Sorry, I just realized I had posted my question into the wrong thread.
2 users Like BA0701's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(06-04-2024, 03:07 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-04-2024, 01:30 AM)Mapokser Wrote: No, Nhenha also mated and was in fact seen with Tsalala as a cub.

Thank you for that, my friend! I thought that might be the case. Regardless of which one is actually the father, her new cubs will carry both B-Boys' and PCM's blood, and as long as they make it to adulthood, that is sure to be an amazing, and lethal, combination.

Sorry, I just realized I had posted my question into the wrong thread.

Tinyo was never seen with the Tsalala lioness prior to an encounter that took place just before she was attacked by the Kambula. Nhenha was the only Birmingham seen with her. Nhenha had mated with her in 2017 in the north and then again in 2018 in western parts of Londolozi. There is even a Londolozi blog on their encounter. He was also the only male who would visit her and patrol the section of the river she would frequent and he would do it by himself.  Nhenha is definitely the father of the remaining Tsalala lioness. She also resembles him.
4 users Like Slayerd's post

Ttimemarti Offline

So another question about coalitions so when you see members go on their own and do other things away from the coalition is that more a trait of the leader or a loner like nhenha he went off and mated with the tsalala female nduna went off and then he disappeared mfumo went back north on his own then he disappeared so is it a difference or just depends on the lion just thinking out loud

United States T_Ferguson Offline

I don't know who this person is talking, but kind of wish they weren't.. LOL  But... still solo is the BDM.

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(06-05-2024, 02:49 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I don't know who this person is talking, but kind of wish they weren't.. LOL  But... still solo is the BDM.

I usually just mute these videos.

If it's true that the last time his brother was seen was the two of them being chased in Singita by the PC males, considering how badly he was limping on TWO legs last time he was on WildEarth, it seems entirely plausible that he was unable to get away. I think it was reported that bigger-maned male had wounds on his face recently, which could possibly mean he did try to help his brother. Who knows. But it's looking more and more likely that something like this happened.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(06-05-2024, 03:04 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 02:49 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I don't know who this person is talking, but kind of wish they weren't.. LOL  But... still solo is the BDM.

If it's true that the last time his brother was seen was the two of them being chased in Singita by the PC males, considering how badly he was limping on TWO legs last time he was on WildEarth, it seems entirely plausible that he was unable to get away. I think it was reported that bigger-maned male had wounds on his face recently, which could possibly mean he did try to help his brother. Who knows. But it's looking more and more likely that something like this happened.

Matched with the reports that the smaller PCM was limping a bit, and Mak had a few more facial scars.  I mean.. It still could be mating, and we still could have no idea, but it's certainly at least plausible.  Would explain the Khanya reaction too.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(06-05-2024, 03:24 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 03:04 AM)NLAL11 Wrote:

Matched with the reports that the smaller PCM was limping a bit, and Mak had a few more facial scars.  I mean.. It still could be mating, and we still could have no idea, but it's certainly at least plausible.  Would explain the Khanya reaction too.

This is worrisome.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Heartbreaking loss if the more injured BDM is gone.  Seems more likely as they are rarely apart.  Very upset.  Poor fellow was under too much pressure and his body couldn't handle the constant fighting.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

He was filmed alone, IIRC not limping anymore, in the report the PCM chased him so I think he escaped.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Since this involves lions from three separate threads, I’m posting this here :

Here’s a Pictorial Board of the events that transpired when 1/5 young Styx females was caught alone and beaten by Talamati/Msuthlu females.   The Gijimas became aware of the ruckus and the guest says they intervened to help the young female escape before it was too late

The 4 Msuthlu females

Gijimas are said to have kept them young luoness from further beating

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-05-2024, 05:16 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Since this involves lions from three separate threads, I’m posting this here :

Here’s a Pictorial Board of the events that transpired when 1/5 young Styx females was caught alone and beaten by Talamati/Msuthlu females.   The Gijimas became aware of the ruckus and the guest says they intervened to help the young female escape before it was too late

The 4 Msuthlu females

Gijimas are said to have kept them young luoness from further beating

Did they, by chance, post images of her injuries? This is really sad to see. They make it sound like she is for certain not going to survive this beating, but without seeing the severity of her injuries it is difficult to tell if this is accurate or not.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2024, 07:28 AM by Mapokser )

This is why the Gijimas are my favorite coalition from Sabi Sands. They have never killed any cubs so far ( I think? Though of course this was by chance ) nor have they killed any adult or subadult lionesses, which is down to their personality.

They accepted the 2yo Southern subs and we thought it was because they were inexperienced, but no, it was part of their character as they also accepted/tolerated the Styx female subs, and now even saved one of them.

If more lions were like the Gijimas it'd be easier for the prides to raise cubs as they'd only need to raise them to independence/2yo, and the new males would accept them, but most don't accept 2yo subs and some like the PCM only accept females in estrus, anyone else can be potentially killed.

And the Gijimas are so tolerant while also being incredibly strong defending their territory, they are the perfect lions in terms of behavior that helps growing the local population, so I hope they spread their great genes everywhere and their future sons and grandsons are just like them, strong but tolerant.

Also, as a side note, although the Gijimas doomed one of the Ndhzengas, the Ndhzengas' legacy outside the Kambula and Ntsevu prides is thriving almost exclusively because the Gijimas are how they are. Ndhzengas abandoned their cubs as below 1,5yo to 2yo.

If the new males were like the PCM for instance, it's doubtful if the Ndhzengas would have any offspring alive besides the ones from the Kambula/Ntsevu prides.

Only issue here is that the Gijimas are literally "suffering" from success, as they have too many prides among a relatively small territory, especially for only 2 males, meaning their prides are in constant conflict and we've lost lionesses and cubs due to it.
6 users Like Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

So who killed the 4 Styx males and 1 female I believe the Nkhulus killed at least 2
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-05-2024, 09:37 AM by lionuk )

(06-05-2024, 08:06 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: So who killed the 4 Styx males and 1 female I believe the Nkhulus killed at least 2

The Kambula pride is responsible for the two males, although those males did not die straight away, they sustained bad injuries which later proved to be fatal

The Nkhulas killed one and unknown male killed a female in Umkumbe
2 users Like lionuk's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-05-2024, 07:28 AM)Mapokser Wrote: This is why the Gijimas are my favorite coalition from Sabi Sands. They have never killed any cubs so far ( I think? Though of course this was by chance ) nor have they killed any adult or subadult lionesses, which is down to their personality.

They accepted the 2yo Southern subs and we thought it was because they were inexperienced, but no, it was part of their character as they also accepted/tolerated the Styx female subs, and now even saved one of them.

If more lions were like the Gijimas it'd be easier for the prides to raise cubs as they'd only need to raise them to independence/2yo, and the new males would accept them, but most don't accept 2yo subs and some like the PCM only accept females in estrus, anyone else can be potentially killed.

And the Gijimas are so tolerant while also being incredibly strong defending their territory, they are the perfect lions in terms of behavior that helps growing the local population, so I hope they spread their great genes everywhere and their future sons and grandsons are just like them, strong but tolerant.

Also, as a side note, although the Gijimas doomed one of the Ndhzengas, the Ndhzengas' legacy outside the Kambula and Ntsevu prides is thriving almost exclusively because the Gijimas are how they are. Ndhzengas abandoned their cubs as below 1,5yo to 2yo.

If the new males were like the PCM for instance, it's doubtful if the Ndhzengas would have any offspring alive besides the ones from the Kambula/Ntsevu prides.

Only issue here is that the Gijimas are literally "suffering" from success, as they have too many prides among a relatively small territory, especially for only 2 males, meaning their prides are in constant conflict and we've lost lionesses and cubs due to it.
A lot of young male lions when they are young would not hurt sub adults. The Orphen male lion cubs, other male lions came. The Othowa male lion. There is older male lions like the Matimba male lions when they came to the Othowa pride. The Plain camp male lions were around the young Nukhuma male lion. The Gijima male lions have not hurt young lionesses. Yes it is by chance they did not hurt the young lioness. The Ndhzenga male lions are a strong coalition. The Gijima male lions are just with a lot of lionesses. The Styxt pride reminds me a bit of the Kambula lionesses. The Styxt pride is of daughters from a Birmingham daughter, another lioness who was half sister to the Kambulas lionesses, and a relative to the older lionesses of the Mahangeni lionesses. Hopefully the Styxt pride can grow strong and they could keep their bond with the Birmingham Styxt lioness.
1 user Likes Go131810's post