There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-21-2024, 12:01 AM by T_Ferguson )

Posted in Sabi because it's talking about kings in the north.  Correction, the video here that won't link is Big Mak, So, maybe the roaring lion is the smaller PCM, and if so, they are both back in the north again. I wonder if these guys invented Tranporter technology?

If in fact they are both in the north again though, I guess that's not good for the Western prides.

Hmm.. did the code for imbedding tweets change?
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(05-20-2024, 09:28 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Avoca looks surprisingly good, even got some mane back.

Bigger PCM back in the north again worries me, west is basically free for NK/Tumbela.

Good that the BDM are back together, I wonder who gave the bigger-maned one those facial injuries.
 I’ve kind of accepted the chance of the S.Avoca becoming territorial again is extremely slim but I’d love to see him just continue to live a good life, staying healthy until his body gives out on him. 

As for the BDMs, I’m surprised the healthier of the pair is the one with fresh injuries. Maybe from smaller PCM as he’s been closer to him as opposed to Kambula males or any other male/coalition.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 Both PCM are in the north.

NK/Tumbela won't challenge the PCM but if they bump onto their prides they'll kill their cubs.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(05-20-2024, 11:51 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 Both PCM are in the north.

NK/Tumbela won't challenge the PCM but if they bump onto their prides they'll kill their cubs.

100% The NK/Tumbela duo don't have to directly challenge the PCMs to wreak havoc on the Western SS prides
4 users Like Rabubi's post

Mak1998 Offline
New Join

I dont see tumbela or nkhuma male coalition beating any of the coalitions in sabi sands for a pride. The only way i see them being successful is if they add another member or 2. And there’s not many options the southern avoca or knaya Talamati maybe the young sthx male and form a bond to challenge any of the coalitions. And then maybe they can but we will see in the upcoming months.
1 user Likes Mak1998's post

Ttimemarti Offline

It’s not entirely about them beating any of these coalition it’s more about the western sabi sands be unprotected all those cubs with two nomadic males around is not good and mounting can happen plains camp males might split up more now and gijimas too both of those coalitions have many prides and they’ve been seen alone and that all it takes if skorro and nkhuma are willing to engage in that kinda fight
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-20-2024, 11:51 PM)Mapokser Wrote: NK/Tumbela won't challenge the PCM but if they bump onto their prides they'll kill their cubs.

Dont think so.

Killing cubs is direct challenge and until PCMs are territorial there, NK/Tumbela will not do that.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Go131810 Offline

(05-21-2024, 06:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 11:51 PM)Mapokser Wrote: NK/Tumbela won't challenge the PCM but if they bump onto their prides they'll kill their cubs.

Dont think so.

Killing cubs is direct challenge and until PCMs are territorial there, NK/Tumbela will not do that.
Nobody know what can happen. I think they are just trying to survive. I had read a comment on another post; the Plain Camp male lions have not been seen much with the Mahangeni lionesses and their cubs. I had read before that male lions prefer to be where there is more lionesses. I also have seen videos how they seem to love being with the Ximuguwe lionesses I am not sure if I am spilling that right.

Go131810 Offline

(05-21-2024, 06:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Dont think so.

Nobody know what happens, but I think of the Nukhuma male lion. The Nukhuma male lion is familiar with the Nukhuma pride, the Styxt pride when he was with his half brother the young Styxt male lion I wonder where he is hopefully in a better place. He is familiar with the West, the Ximhungwe lionesses although he is familiar to the Maghanginies and the Othowas I do not think he has or would try to get close. I wonder why the young Othowa lionesses split. I wonder if he got to meet the Tslalala lioness. I think he has even met the 4 young Talamatie lionesses. I just think what will the Nukhuma male lion do now with the Tumbela male lion around. It seems the Tumbela male lion followed the Nukhuma male lion South.

United States Cath2020 Offline

Of course the PC Males can do it!!! They'll just probably have to give up the Mangheni Pride, where all the cubs are already over a year old.  The N'was Males left the Styx for Kambula and it paid off, sort of, because they only lost 5/11 offspring and GAINED well over the number that were killed.... 13+ at least.

United States Cath2020 Offline

Therefore, even if they 'only' lose roughly half of the 10 in the Mang. Pride, if they raise 6+ offspring with the NK Pride, it'll absolutely be worth it from a biological standpoint. Plus, they are arguably stronger than the N'was duo

Ttimemarti Offline

Oh no no no no no the Styx and southern pride got very very lucky after the nwaswitshaka males left if the Nkhulus had gotten to them before the gijimas they would’ve killed all the cubs although I think the gijimas killed some of the Styx young males they didn’t kill any young females and the nkuhuma male is not a “kind” male he will kill cubs skorro jr haven’t seen him do that but as of right now all western any sands prides are in danger . 2 males controlling the Northern and western sabi sands is almost impossible kinky tail and Mr T controlled a large area for a few years but in the end 2 males is not enough for that big of an area with 3 different coalition already in their “territory” are we considering northern sabi sands plains camp territory?
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Lions don't think in challenges in these maters. 

For a rival group of lions. The young of the others are, especially at a young age, not much better than leopard or cheetah cubs. 
Even without intentions of challenging the rival males. Its not an opportunity they may pass on.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-21-2024, 10:50 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-21-2024, 09:55 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Lions don't think in challenges in these maters. 

For a rival group of lions. The young of the others are, especially at a young age, not much better than leopard or cheetah cubs. 
Even without intentions of challenging the rival males. Its not an opportunity they may pass on.

Attacking a pride under territorial males and trying to kill their cubs is a direct challenge, as they are doing that for eliminating the cubs, bringing females back to estrus and submiting them under their control.

Nomadic males will not do that without intention for direct challenge.

So, as long as NK/Tumbela "think" that PCMs are still very much in control there (roars, scents etc.) they will not go near Mhangenis and Ximhungwes, let alone attack them.

Tumbela had many opportunities to go to Ximhungwes again since they got the cubs, as PCMs roamed out of Western sector always, but he was not seen once near or with them since those cubs are born, unlike before.

If NK/Tumbela start to "feel" that PCMs are vacanting this area (no roars or scent marks) they might start pushing more agressive towards those pride.

I dont think we are at that point yet, bigger maned PCM was yesterday or so at western sector, NK/Tumbela definetly know that, so chances they attack one of their prides, when PCMs can be around the corner, are very slim, at this point.

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-21-2024, 10:54 PM by KM600 )

(05-21-2024, 09:38 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Therefore, even if they 'only' lose roughly half of the 10 in the Mang. Pride, if they raise 6+ offspring with the NK Pride, it'll absolutely be worth it from a biological standpoint. Plus, they are arguably stronger than the N'was duo

I get what you’re saying but at the same time it’s a huge risk. Would be more logical for any intruding coalition to target Mhangeni Pride being the number of females to acquire on top of it being the first pride they will likely come across. Mhangeni Pride has 5 male cubs so if they were to get taken over by a new coalition, that’s already 5/10 cubs most likely dead obviously depending on when / if the takeover were to happen.

There’s no guarantee that the cubs they sire with the Nkuhuma Pride end up fairing off any better either. I personally think it’s possible like u said from a ‘biological standpoint it could be worth it’ especially if Nkuhumas moved further West so the PCMs don’t have to completely abandon their over prides or Mhangenis / Ximhungwe moved closer to the PCMs newfound territory but this is just a different perspective from me.
1 user Likes KM600's post