There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

They have spent weeks in Northern SS already, including Northern MalaMala.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-25-2024, 01:04 AM)Mapokser Wrote: They have spent weeks in Northern SS already, including Northern MalaMala.

So Northern Sabi really is a wasteland full of timid nomads... LOL
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Mantimahle males are definitely a duo of which is better not to mess with! Healthy, in their prime and dark-manes! 
7 users Like T I N O's post

NLAL11 Offline

(04-25-2024, 02:23 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Mantimahle males are definitely a duo of which is better not to mess with! Healthy, in their prime and dark-manes! 

That one male has the blackest mane I've seen on a male in Sabi Sands/Kruger. They'd be good candidates for the Nkuhuma pride - completely unrelated, already right there and could probably hold the territory.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

We’ve had another exciting morning spending some time with the Ntsevu (kambula) breakaways on the track of a big herd of buffalo !

Photo credit: @frederik_barnardt

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like T I N O's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

Throwback - May 2007, by Jonathon Wilson

The impressive Rollercoaster male that fell victim to a crocodile later in that same year

5 users Like Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-26-2024, 01:30 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Throwback - May 2007, by Jonathon Wilson

The impressive Rollercoaster male that fell victim to a crocodile later in that same year

Appears he got into a scuffle over mating rights as well, with his swollen face, and laying on top of another lion.

Go131810 Offline

Hi may he rest in peace. I am glad to be able to see this picture. Does he not look like Kinky Tail? I think he looks like Kiny Tail and a bit like Makulu. I think he may had been Makulus half brother or cousin? He might have been Kinky Tails father ? It is interesting if he was the second Rollercoster male lion that was with the last Rollercoster male lion, because last Rollercoster male lion was; he looked similar to Mr.T hopefully the Rollercoster male lions are hopefully resting in peace.
2 users Like Go131810's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(04-26-2024, 11:29 AM)Go131810 Wrote:

Hi may he rest in peace. I am glad to be able to see this picture. Does he not look like Kinky Tail? I think he looks like Kiny Tail and a bit like Makulu. I think he may had been Makulus half brother or cousin? He might have been Kinky Tails father ? It is interesting if he was the second Rollercoster male lion that was with the last Rollercoster male lion, because last Rollercoster male lion was; he looked similar to Mr.T hopefully the Rollercoster male lions are hopefully resting in peace.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rollercoaster males were half-brothers to the Mapogos as both coalitions were sired by the West Street Males
1 user Likes Rabubi's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

(04-26-2024, 01:30 AM)Ngonya Wrote: The impressive Rollercoaster male that fell victim to a crocodile later in that same year
Interesting, any idea if this happened as he treaded into deep waters? Was this seen and reported by guides back then? Btw, great throwback images.
2 users Like Horizon's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2024, 05:05 PM by T_Ferguson )

(04-26-2024, 01:33 PM)Rabubi Wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the Rollercoaster males were half-brothers to the Mapogos as both coalitions were sired by the West Street Males

The RollerCoaster males are thought to be the fathers of Kinky Tail and Mr T as I understand it, so they are nephews.  The West Street's are the father's of the RollerCoasters, and the other 3, so yes... Dreadlocks, Pretty Boy and Rasta are all half brothers of the RollerCoasters.  Makhula came from parts unknown and was a rogue sub adult accepted by the pride when they lost another sub adult male.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2024, 06:19 PM by criollo2mil )

Considered posting this on the Tumbela thread and may still make a note there for tracking purposes.  

Tumbela and Nkuhuma are still together.    Have left western sector and were sighted just within the south east most region of Sabi sand near skukuzza.  

Color me hugely surprised.   Not that they’re still together.   But so far south.  So fast.  It’s incredible it took Nkuhuma to finally convince Tumbela to move away.    Wow.

There was a photo taken , and as you have heard recently, permission was not granted to share.   Maybe something released by original sources.

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

He most definitely has the unmistakable Big Mak nose, for sure.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(04-26-2024, 05:04 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Considered posting this on the Tumbela thread and may still make a note there for tracking purposes.  

Tumbela and Nkuhuma are still together.    Have left western sector and were sighted just within the south east most region of Sabi sand near skukuzza.  

Color me hugely surprised.   Not that they’re still together.   But so far south.  So fast.  It’s incredible it took Nkuhuma to finally convince Tumbela to move away.    Wow.

There was a photo taken , and as you have heard recently, permission was not granted to share.   Maybe something released by original sources.

That's great news. Hopefully their fortunes will improve in KNP.
3 users Like Rabubi's post

Super Moderator

(04-26-2024, 05:04 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Considered posting this on the Tumbela thread and may still make a note there for tracking purposes.  

This is really good news, I really do hope things work out for the two of them this time, they both need a partner to hang with. Went from being part of a coalition with Nhenha, when Nhena had a skirmish with Skorro Jr, a fight that Skorro Jr held his own, to now being partners with Skorro Jr.
3 users Like BA0701's post