There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-02-2024, 06:19 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Damn In my defense I can't I'd any lions

Ha, no worries, you're fine. I am certainly not the best at it either. That's one of the things that makes this community so great, when we're wrong, or not sure, about something, others will help us correct that mistake. It is just part of learning more and more about these animals that drew us here in the first place.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Video taken yesterday during one of the two days WildEarth wasn’t filmed. Despite Cedric saying it’s one of the BDMs, he said in a further comment it was actually one of the Kambula males. Other 3 brothers and the sister were just inside Simbambili. 5 Nkuhuma Pride members close to Safari Lodge. Chela was not spotted with this group yet the day earlier Khanya was spotted walking with the Nkuhuma Pride (not behind them) so it seems they may have split into two groups. Both BDMs were spotted just inside Torchwood east of Djuma.

6 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Not sure what made me think about him just now, but I realized it has been quite some time since I recall hearing anything on Wonky. Has there been any word on him? @Tonpa was getting some decent updates for awhile.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

BDM can't stop taking Ls.

Now they got chased by the Mantimahle to Djuma.

They weren't able to defend their territory a single time against literally all of their neighbors ( Ndhzengas, PCM, Mantimahle ), despite all being duos. And couldn't defend their territory against nomadic Kambulas either.

But this shows that the Mantimahles aren't shy of going for a 2v2. With them in the north and the Ndhzengas mating with the Ntsevu female which also have territory in northern Sabi Sands, it might be trouble.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(04-03-2024, 05:58 AM)Mapokser Wrote: BDM can't stop taking Ls.

Now they got chased by the Mantimahle to Djuma.

They weren't able to defend their territory a single time against literally all of their neighbors ( Ndhzengas, PCM, Mantimahle ), despite all being duos. And couldn't defend their territory against nomadic Kambulas either.

But this shows that the Mantimahles aren't shy of going for a 2v2. With them in the north and the Ndhzengas mating with the Ntsevu female which also have territory in northern Sabi Sands, it might be trouble.

My first thought after hearing they were in Torchwood was thinking how they’re prolly too close to the Mantimahles. BDMs are a very weird coalition tho, they’ll just disappear after leaving the Nkuhuma Pride and appear wherever with no real reason why they stayed separated from the pride. It certainly doesn’t look like they’re expanding their territory or anything. 

Mantimahles on the other hand, do seem to be pushing further into Sabi Sand. I guess u could say they’ve done BDMs a slight favour by sending them back to Djuma which is obviously the primary location of Nkuhuma Pride although BDMs confidence will surely be affected. Any else noticed atleast 1 of the BDMs seems to be losing his mane or have they always been quite short.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2024, 03:33 PM by Tr1x24 )

(04-03-2024, 05:58 AM)Mapokser Wrote: They weren't able to defend their territory a single time against literally all of their neighbors ( Ndhzengas, PCM, Mantimahle ),

When did BDMs lose any territory to PCMs or Ndhzengas? Territorial coalitions chase each others on borders regulary.

BDMs where the ones initialy invading Ndhzengas, not other way around.

Source of them being chased by Mantimahles? Even if that happened, BDMs are not exactly territorial atm, so we cant count this as if happened when they were territorial.

I agree that BDMs are currently in taught spot, they lost confidence and seen with few limps, stress prob also hit, as they lost some mane, but before they got invaded by Kambulas, they where in full control of their territory.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Canada Charan Singh Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-03-2024, 09:55 PM by Charan Singh )

[url]https://fb.watch/rdgpEB61nO/
[/url]

The injured Black Mane Northern Avoca Male Lion and the Nkuhuma Pride attempted to hunt buffaloes yesterday. The buffaloes retaliated and ended up capturing the injured lion, trampling Black Mane Northern Avoca Male Lion repeatedly.
2 users Like Charan Singh's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(04-03-2024, 09:52 PM)Charan Singh Wrote:
[url]https://fb.watch/rdgpEB61nO/
[/url]

The injured Black Mane Northern Avoca Male Lion and the Nkuhuma Pride attempted to hunt buffaloes yesterday. The buffaloes retaliated and ended up capturing the injured lion, trampling Black Mane Northern Avoca Male Lion repeatedly.

Very sad memories
3 users Like afortich's post

Contributor

2 males chased BDM boys

5 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 I didn't say the other duos took territory from the BDM ( because they didn't want to ), I said they couldn't defend it from the opposition.

My point is that they don't seem to have what it takes to put any resistance against other duos. If they were to become successful, they'd need to be lucky enough to have no other coalition to pressure them.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@afortich interesting that the video of the Mantimahles chasing the BDM exists but it wasn't made public.

As always the guides rarely show us all the footage they take.

Also interesting that upon seeing the Mantimahles for the first time the guide is very impressed and says he has not seen lions that big in a long long time, since the 2 Matimbas Ginger and Hairy Belly.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-04-2024, 12:36 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-03-2024, 10:32 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 I didn't say the other duos took territory from the BDM ( because they didn't want to ), I said they couldn't defend it from the opposition.

My point is that they don't seem to have what it takes to put any resistance against other duos. If they were to become successful, they'd need to be lucky enough to have no other coalition to pressure them.

BDMs didnt lost to any duo, chasing on borders back and forth between neighbours hardly matters, neither of their neighbours pressure them or anything, in fact, they pressured Ndhzengas when they arrived, but Ndhzengas succesfully defended themselves.

Things change quickly in lions life, yes, BDMs dont look particulary strong atm (as i said already) but in ~1 year of their territorial position, they didnt had any problems until arrival of 4 Kambulas and if that didnt happen, would prob still be territorial, their neighbouring duos dont matter in that story.

Anyways, looks like Kambulas are back north, lets see what happens this time.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

(04-03-2024, 11:32 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Also interesting that upon seeing the Mantimahles for the first time the guide is very impressed and says he has not seen lions that big in a long long time, since the 2 Matimbas Ginger and Hairy Belly.

Agree bro, that's very nice when guides/ranges give size opinions to the audience because that's something hard to see in a video.
2 users Like afortich's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Id take it with a grain of salt though. Ultimately they are still guessing and have a safari to sell.