There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Waiting for timeline confirmation but if new or recent, it would be the first sighting of these boys in many many weeks. And if new, might indicate they’ve abandoned their efforts in the N Sabi sands at least for the immediate term.

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(04-10-2024, 08:24 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Waiting for timeline confirmation but if new or recent, it would be the first sighting of these boys in many many weeks.  And if new, might indicate they’ve abandoned their efforts in the N Sabi sands at least for the immediate term.  

Do we know where it was filmed?
1 user Likes BA0701's post

NLAL11 Offline

10 users Like NLAL11's post

NLAL11 Offline

(04-10-2024, 08:53 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-10-2024, 08:24 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Waiting for timeline confirmation but if new or recent, it would be the first sighting of these boys in many many weeks.  And if new, might indicate they’ve abandoned their efforts in the N Sabi sands at least for the immediate term.  

It says Mala Mala in the description on Instagram.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(04-10-2024, 08:55 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(04-10-2024, 08:53 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

It says Mala Mala in the description on Instagram.

That's why we haven't seen them.  They've been down in a hole!!!!
4 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

If the post is accurate (Arathisa loves to re-publish old sightings) then Black Dams are BACK!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 04-10-2024, 11:11 PM by BA0701 )

Dulini Lodge is live, with the PCMs, literally roaring right now

https://www.instagram.com/dulinilodge/li...12c5f66H3e

It just ended. Sorry, brought it here as soon as I saw it.
6 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

They really are back

8 users Like KM600's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 04-11-2024, 01:18 AM by BA0701 )

(04-10-2024, 11:27 PM)KM600 Wrote: They really are back

Really happy to see they've returned and are well. This video had me cracking up, he's literally acting like a baby kitten, not to mention how patient his brother is being with 400+lbs rolling all over him while he sleeps. Utterly hysterical!

I just realized they are still in that same warthog hole they have been digging at, apparently, for days. His brother is so tired from digging, he literally fell asleep in the hole. His brother is pestering, come on Bro, let me dig for awhile, I am hungry! I'm dying here!
9 users Like BA0701's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

Soooo happy to see the BDMs!  This makes my day.  I'm glad they haven't wandered to anonymity in the KNP somewhere or worse still....
3 users Like Cath2020's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita Sabi Sands update
  • The Tsalala lioness seems to be nearing the time where she is due to give birth to her first little of cubs and grow her pride to what it once was. Her movement in the eastern parts of the reserve presents many opportunities for her to safely den with her cubs. The gabbro rocky valleys have for many centuries been a favoured area for new mothers.
  • The Ntsevu males are lions which would be a threat to the Tsalala lioness and her cubs as their patrol route seems to be taking shape in and around this area. They have also been furthering their hunting grounds further south of the Sabi Sand. As they grow their demand for food does too. These expert buffalo hunters have had many opportunities lately as buffalo herds are in abundance.
  • The Mhangeni Pride have their eyes set on the buffalo herds as well. The pressure of ten cubs, four of which are nearing one year of age, has these lionesses hunting every day until they catch large enough prey. Fifteen lions mean buffalo carcasses are finished in two days.
4 users Like Potato's post

NLAL11 Offline

Londolozi Blog: My First Sighting of the newly named Kambula Pride

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/04/11/my...ula-pride/

Following on from Sean's recent blog, the majority of our lion viewing of late has come from the larger group of lions now referred to as the Kambula Pride. These five lionesses and their thirteen cubs, offspring of the Ndzhenga Males, having been roaming up and down teh length of the eastern parts of the reserve. One of the original lionesses from the ‘Ntsevu Pride’ is still with them leading the way. The other three original lionesses are now completely separate from this pride and make up now newly restructured Ntsevu Pride. They are raising a bunch of new cubs, also offspring of the Ndzhenga Males, in Mala Mala and we are yet to see these cubs. However, the lionesses have been seen a number of times close to the Sand River to the east of the Londolozi camps.

On a recent game drive, our quest to find the newly renamed Kambula Pride led us deep into the southeastern parts of the reserve. After a morning of fruitless searching, our perseverance paid off as we spotted the full complement of the pride, accompanied by the two Ndzhenga Males, resting on the eastern bank of the Sand River, off of Dudley Riverbank. Just as well we decided to have a look at one last lookout point over the Sand River- success! Little did we know what would come next…

*This image is copyright of its original author

As we watched the lions, it was apparent that something had caught their attention across the river. Difficult to discern what it was until the distress calls of a young buffalo reached our ears. Tracks and fresh dung indicated that a herd of buffalo had moved through the area and this unfortunate calf had accidentally been left behind.

One of the Ndhzenga Males, intrigued by the distress calls, crossed the river to investigate further.

The arrival of the second Ndzhenga Male caused the scene to escalate into an intense feeding frenzy, both males had no intention of sharing their meal with the lionesses or cubs. Even the bold attempts of a young cub to snatch a bite from its father went unrewarded.

Lions, like most cats, typically avoid water, making the sight of the entire pride crossing the river during different stages of the morning, a rare and remarkable event.

After realizing they wouldn’t partake in the feast, the lionesses and cubs retraced their steps across the river. Once on the far side, they indulged in playful antics, honing their hunting skills amidst the sandy terrain, making viewing for us spectacular and here are a selection of photos depicting what we saw.

5 users Like NLAL11's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(04-11-2024, 03:32 PM)Potato Wrote: Singita Sabi Sands update
  • The Tsalala lioness seems to be nearing the time where she is due to give birth to her first little of cubs and grow her pride to what it once was. Her movement in the eastern parts of the reserve presents many opportunities for her to safely den with her cubs. The gabbro rocky valleys have for many centuries been a favoured area for new mothers.
  • The Ntsevu males are lions which would be a threat to the Tsalala lioness and her cubs as their patrol route seems to be taking shape in and around this area. They have also been furthering their hunting grounds further south of the Sabi Sand. As they grow their demand for food does too. These expert buffalo hunters have had many opportunities lately as buffalo herds are in abundance.
  • The Mhangeni Pride have their eyes set on the buffalo herds as well. The pressure of ten cubs, four of which are nearing one year of age, has these lionesses hunting every day until they catch large enough prey. Fifteen lions mean buffalo carcasses are finished in two days.

Is the Tsalala Princess believed to be carrying the Skorro Young Male's cubs? I know she interacted with the PCMs as well, just not sure who is believed to have impregnated her. Given the Skorro Young Male's recent absence, I hope it is the PCMs, where as before he disappeared I had hoped the two of them would start building a pride together.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-11-2024, 08:30 PM by Cath2020 )

It's not the Skorro Young Male's cubs.. She mated with him back before mid Nov last year, so cubs by him would have been born March at the latest
2 users Like Cath2020's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(04-11-2024, 07:33 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-11-2024, 03:32 PM)Potato Wrote: Singita Sabi Sands update

Is the Tsalala Princess believed to be carrying the Skorro Young Male's cubs? I know she interacted with the PCMs as well, just not sure who is believed to have impregnated her. Given the Skorro Young Male's recent absence, I hope it is the PCMs, where as before he disappeared I had hoped the two of them would start building a pride together.

I can’t remember where (maybe wild earth chat) but she was seen mating with Plains camp boys. I don’t know if it was one or both. A lot of info in on Facebook and others but I don’t have access.
I really like Skorro but the PC boys are able to provide a safer area (hopefully).
She’s basically a tawny leopard at this point so I hope she can raise at least one cub. I felt so bad for her when her older Mangheni lioness friend left to go back to her original pride once again leaving Tsalala alone.
5 users Like GhostCatP-22's post