There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-09-2023, 10:50 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-09-2023, 06:51 AM)sik94 Wrote: I think killing a cub isn't really what sets territorial males off. If you come in roaring and scent marking going straight for the pride trying to kill cubs, you'll get a big response from territorial males. Sneakily killing a cub without a challenge doesn't exactly register with territorial males so you won't get a response any worse than any random nomadic male in their territory.

Killing cubs and direct challenge is correlated.

Not saying that it triggets, but nomads who go for the pride and kill their cubs, usually are challenging territorial males aswell.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(03-09-2023, 10:36 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 06:51 AM)sik94 Wrote: I think killing a cub isn't really what sets territorial males off. If you come in roaring and scent marking going straight for the pride trying to kill cubs, you'll get a big response from territorial males. Sneakily killing a cub without a challenge doesn't exactly register with territorial males so you won't get a response any worse than any random nomadic male in their territory.

Killing cubs and direct challenge is correlated.

Not saying that it triggets, but nomads who go for the pride and kill their cubs, usually are challenging territorial males aswell.

I’d say 50% of the time they’ll have to have beaten the dominant males to get anywhere near the cubs. If invaders kill cubs the mother will try her best to fight the male/males off and the sound will likely attract the dominant male/males but it’s difficult nkhulu males killed a Styx subadult and then left blondie killed kambula cubs while trying to take over the kambula pride I don’t believe nhenha and tinyo did much after that. But all in all yes killing cubs means you’re challenging usually but sometimes different situations occur.Please correct me if I’m wrong
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Behold the mighty S8 male lion – ruler of pride and protector of domain. He patrols with authority – salivating and vocalising to assert his dominance.

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Potato's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-09-2023, 06:55 PM by criollo2mil )

Reports this morning from a guide is that both Tumbela and Nkuhuma are together w the Ximungwe girls

The plot thickens

All images from Roger Rusley

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like criollo2mil's post

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

Wow, I'm really confused about the relationship between skorrojr and BYM.
But anyway, they think it's a little bit more advantageous for survival to form a duo without fighting.
And thank you to the users who answered my confusing questions!

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-09-2023, 07:02 PM by Tr1x24 )

(03-09-2023, 06:58 PM)veritas Wrote: Wow, I'm really confused about the relationship between skorrojr and BYM

Its not BYM, he is known as Nkuhuma male.

Korea, Republic of veritas Offline

Oh... im really stupid... 
Ok. I remember Nkuhuma male hehe

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-09-2023, 07:11 PM)veritas Wrote: Oh... im really stupid... 
Ok. I remember Nkuhuma male hehe

Nkuhuma male was only in a coalition with Birmingham male Nhenha, but is not anymore.

1ofCourage Offline

(03-09-2023, 06:55 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Reports this morning from a guide is that both Tumbela and Nkuhuma are together w the Ximungwe girls

The plot thickens

I hope the Nkuhuma becomes good backup for a partner someday.  He needs to learn to fight as a unit.
1 user Likes 1ofCourage's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I don't think these 2 have the time to build a bond to fight for Ximhungwes. For them to become territorial again they'd have to go full nomadic, explore the SS for at least 6 months and build a bond, then go oust some lone male.

They may try to join forces now but PCM will soon come back and chase them away before they can even see each other as a coalition partner.

I also worry about Othawas, NK killed the third sister and tried to finish the job not long ago, if he joins Tumbela the girls wouldn't be able to hang with their father anymore.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(03-09-2023, 07:44 PM)1ofCourage Wrote:
(03-09-2023, 06:55 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Reports this morning from a guide is that both Tumbela and Nkuhuma are together w the Ximungwe girls

The plot thickens

I hope the Nkuhuma becomes good backup for a partner someday.  He needs to learn to fight as a unit.

I hope so too my friend. Hopefully, Skorro Jr. does not get too excited to the point of trying to challange PC boys.
3 users Like afortich's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

One meeting, if it took place at all, does not make a coalition.
Its more likely just a chance encounter between two mostly nomadic males. 

Which is probably for the best as aslong they remain in western sector. It probably wouldnt do much good.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 12:48 AM by afortich )

(03-10-2023, 12:40 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: One meeting, if it took place at all, does not make a coalition.
Its more likely just a chance encounter between two mostly nomadic males. 

Which is probably for the best as aslong they remain in western sector. It probably wouldnt do much good.

Yeah, I know they're not a coalition, but it could be the beginning steps to form one in the future.

RookiePundit Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 01:23 AM by RookiePundit )

(03-09-2023, 11:03 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I don't think these 2 have the time to build a bond to fight for Ximhungwes. For them to become territorial again they'd have to go full nomadic, explore the SS for at least 6 months and build a bond, then go oust some lone male.

They may try to join forces now but PCM will soon come back and chase them away before they can even see each other as a coalition partner.

I also worry about Othawas, NK killed the third sister and tried to finish the job not long ago, if he joins Tumbela the girls wouldn't be able to hang with their father anymore.

They could theoretically just walk in and become (sort of at least) pride males of an unclaimed female only cubless group (or with male sub-adults not confident to fight still attached). Unlikely, but those oppurtinities happen, the more you wander around, the more likely you find them ofc. Nkuhuma and Styx didn't succeeded with Mhangenis who were hostile towards them because they still had cub(s), they accepted Othawa male before just fine and now they joined up with Plain Camps, NYM and SYM just were unlucky with the timing, also condidence and strenght/numbers wise to assert themselves by force anyway.

Just for the sake of argument, it would be a surprise, but we can't rule something like that out. For example Talamati young females wander around, not that far actually, and they most likely gonna end up with some males unless something unsual happens to that group. We don't even know for sure where they end up, let alone with whom, Nkuhuma and/or Tumbela are not their best option atm, but stranger things have happened. Who could tell back then when the 3 Tumbelas were taking over the Othawa pride from Hairy Belly while NYM and SYM were just wondering throughout Sabi Sands and Nhenha and Tinyo were ruling Kambulas and getting challenged by 2 Northern Avoca in upcoming months, that from all those males mentioned, none would be ruling either Othawa or Kambula pride mentioned and just three of them (Tumbela, Nkuhuma nad Mohawk)  would be alive today, while the first two going from hostility through indifference to potential mates in the process, losing 4 coalition parners together meanwhile. From current ruling males north of Londozi's southern border, only Mohawk was there at the time*. Anything can happen and nothing is certain at the same time.

Edit: *Not counting Kruger male crossing the border in and out of Sabi Sands.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Duco Ndona this is their second friendly meeting and they have met each other multiple times before as enemies. They know each other well and obviously they aren't a coalition but with this new meeting chances are they may become one in the future.

The last encounter before this one would probably have been friendly too if Othawas weren't around which triggered NK and Ximhungwes to attack and Tumbela protect.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post