There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-06-2022, 12:49 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: so i thought there a sighting of 9 of them where the other 2 are they alive?

Other 3 are split.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(12-06-2022, 01:38 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-06-2022, 12:49 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: so i thought there a sighting of 9 of them where the other 2 are they alive?

Other 3 are split.

are they alive and they close by how you know there split for good ?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-06-2022, 01:41 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: are they alive and they close by how you know there split for good ?

They where hanging around Skukuza, its speculation that they where 3 males who escaped Kruger near by and brought back, not sure where they are now and their status, maybe @Brahimlegend heard something.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2022, 03:26 AM by Tr1x24 )

New photos by Legendsafaris :

*This image is copyright of its original author

A small correction to my previous post, the male i posted about being impressive is this male on the last photo.

So we have this 3 for now :

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Australia Horizon Offline

(12-05-2022, 07:02 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: This male is one of the more impressive ones, very muscular build :

Photo credits : Legendsafaris 

Its this guy in recent video :

Tr1x24, Are you sure these boys are only around 4 years old? They look somewhat older than that to me. (Yes, looks could be deceiving sometimes).
2 users Like Horizon's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-05-2022, 04:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Again at MalaMala, they are scent marking, interesting:

Looks like there is 5 of them (not 6) and Dreadlocks (atleast on this video). 

3 other brothers are split now for few months (those 3 might be ones who escaped Kruger).

Any news on the whereabouts of the Nw's? I didn't think they would be scent marking the day they show up, this isn't gonna end well.
3 users Like sik94's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

It may just be a test of some sort. 

If the Nwas are interested in keeping that specific spot of land. They will soon go there to reclaim it. 
So, if the newcomers find that their mark is still there in a few days. Chances are good to take over that piece of land as the Nwas apparently aren't that interested in it. 

Alternatively. If they do find that the Nwas covered that spot. The scentmark itself will give important information about the coalition. Such as who are there and how healthy they are.

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2022, 09:52 AM by sik94 )

(12-06-2022, 04:01 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: It may just be a test of some sort. 

If the Nwas are interested in keeping that specific spot of land. They will soon go there to reclaim it. 
So, if the newcomers find that their mark is still there in a few days. Chances are good to take over that piece of land as the Nwas apparently aren't that interested in it. 

Alternatively. If they do find that the Nwas covered that spot. The scentmark itself will give important information about the coalition. Such as who are there and how healthy they are.

That's a hell of a test if that's the case. If these guys are scent marking with intent to takeover, there will be casualties on both sides probably. Though I do think that big coalitions very rarely go after each other head-on like this, so I wouldn't be surprised if these 6 decides to give way considering Nw's have a lot to lose and will be more willing to fight for it. This could unfold like the 7 Mohlabetsi's vs the 4 Machatons a few years ago, I don't know the ages of the Nkhulus but there are probably a few young males which would make easy targets. Anything can happen though.
3 users Like sik94's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 that's why I said "if they stay in the Sabi Sands" I never said "it'll happen!".

@BA0701 they met the Styx pride and killed a subadult already and one of the Ndzengas was seen very close to them in Mala Mala. I was being realistic in my take that if, key word if, they stay in SS that'll likely happen.

Though I suppose I see where you and the others are coming from, as it can sound like I'm "preaching" some doomsday scenario or something which is not my intention.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2022, 08:40 AM by BA0701 )

(12-06-2022, 06:01 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 that's why I said "if they stay in the Sabi Sands" I never said "it'll happen!".

@BA0701 they met the Styx pride and killed a subadult already and one of the Ndzengas was seen very close to them in Mala Mala. I was being realistic in my take that if, key word if, they stay in SS that'll likely happen.

Though I suppose I see where you and the others are coming from, as it can sound like I'm "preaching" some doomsday scenario or something which is not my intention.

My friend, you bring an interesting perspective to my understanding of these animals, just as all of our other members do, and your input is always appreciated. Trying to better understand these wonderful creatures is why I believe we are all here. I appreciate all opinions, so long as they show respect for the animals as well as other members, most especially when those opinions are based on the facts as we currently understand them.

But, yes, to me it felt like unwarranted negative speculation, opining on the possible demise of current males in the area, at least at this early stage, when they have not encountered the Gijimas to our present knowledge, or even the N'was, as far as I am aware. Though, as you mentioned they were indeed reported to be close to Ubuso, to this point we have not heard of any encounters between these males.

The possibilities are literally endless at this point, as we know so very little about this coalition, especially their confidence, however, the reported marking in Mala Mala, does at least imply they clearly possess some level of confidence, but we have no understanding of how they are expected to react in the face of direct resistance, and who might be the victor in such a confrontation. I believe, as of now, it is equally possible for them to turn around and return south from where they came, as it is for them to have a confrontation with any of the other males in the area. We will all know in time how things are going to play out. All conflict comes with a cost, exacted from who is always the question, but right now we do not even know if conflict is going to occur.

Sabi Sands has really been in turmoil these recent months, and regardless of the possible outcomes, or personal preferences, my biggest hope is that we can see a period of relative stability for all involved. Just when we begin to see some new blood arriving in the area, chaos has ensued.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-06-2022, 12:16 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-06-2022, 03:27 AM)Horizon Wrote: Tr1x24, Are you sure these boys are only around 4 years old? They look somewhat older than that to me. (Yes, looks could be deceiving sometimes).

Yes, around 4 yrs, +- few months, depending of litter.

Its based of this photo of them as subs from June 2020 :

Same male :

Those bigger ones look around 1.5 yrs old there, maybe few months older.
9 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Update: the rangers say that the Nkhula males have been seen today, pushing up north slowly. The N'waswitshaka males are not aware of their presence yet.
6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Nkuhlu males :

Photo credits : jasoncstreet

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

2 BDM's are at Nkorho, looks like they are returning back north :

10 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Will the Nkhula males not be roaring if they are scent marking?
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post